9mm auto??

• 9.9K Views
  • Last Post 24 September 2012
gussy posted this 17 November 2011

I'm kicking around a 9mm auto.  I would like some opinions on which auto feeds with lead best (without a gunsmith overhaul) and which bullets (mould??) works best.  Any problems with leading??  What is the most popular lube (size or tumble?)??  I've looked at several guns but really have no opinion on what I'm going to get.

I do have an old Luger which I rarely shoot (lousy trigger pull).  Again, which mould would work best for it??

These are just plinkers for home shooting, not social work.;)

:coffeeGus

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Trusty posted this 17 November 2011

Gussy

I like my Ruger SR9, as I have small hands.

My favorite load in any 9x19 has been one that I believe Elmer Keith came up with.

Lyman 358311, Sized .357, with 3.0 of Bullseye.

This load has worked for me in the SR9, Browning High Power, Glock 17 & 19, 2 different S&W 39-2's,and a Marlin Camp Carbine. All without any special tuning or spring changes.

You might say this is “The Load” (Sorry Ed Harris for stealing your saying) for 9x19.

Duane Trusty

Attached Files

PETE posted this 17 November 2011

Gus,

I've had good success with a RIA 1911A1 using the RCBS-9mm-124-RN bullet sized .356 with 3.3 grs. of BE. Won't say that, as Duane says, this is “The Load” yet. :)

Accuracy with the above load and the RIA using a two handed hold resting on the bench runs about 1 1/2". Nice light load that shoots just above point of aim and drops the brass in a nice pile right behind me. 3.5 grs of BE is slightly more accurate but puts the group about 2” high at 1 o'clock.

The RIA is still going thru load development, but in several hundred rounds thru it there hasn't been a bobble in feeding.

I use Javelin lube which is the NRA 50/50 formula and run them thru a Lyman luber-sizer. No leading.

Pete

Attached Files

gussy posted this 17 November 2011

Thanks for the replys. My dealer has only a tarus in stock but is getting in some rugers next week. I haven't looked at any SW's but probably should.

I have a very hard time liking any plastic (other than grips) on a gun. I want all steel!!

I will also make the rounds to see if there's any deals on a used gun. No gun shows that I know of near here.

Attached Files

raytear posted this 17 November 2011

I know of a P-08 manufactured in 1909 by DWM. It likes the Lyman ca. 125 grain bullet designed specifically for 9mm autos.     Sorry, I do not know the mould number. With a good spring in the magazine, it feeds just like jacketed stuff.  Same accuracy, too-------once you learn how to cope with the poor trigger pull.

Carefully constructed CB loads seem to me like a great way to use those older pistols without fear of wearing out or battering a relic of bygone days.  Some factory, jacketed 9mm I have seen is a mite stout.

Good shooting! RT

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 18 November 2011

I loaded a Lyman Devastator hollowpoint for my nine, S&W 5906.  It worked good.  I don't go for tumble lube.  I used a Lyman 4500 sizer and White Label's Carnuba Red.  Got pretty good results with 3.2 grains of Bullseye. 

A light to medium crimp helps, you need just enough to make the case straight without a protruding edge at the case mouth. 

Be careful with the nine in powder charges, it gets hot real quick.  I ended up pulling bullets at one point. 

Good Luck,

Ron

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 18 November 2011

My Ruger SR9 is the most reliable semi-auto pistol I've ever owned or shot. My daughter has one too and her's has never malfunctioned either. Both extremely accurate.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 18 November 2011

Hey Gussy

Little guns are a regular part of my shooting enjoyment. I've had or at least shot em all. As you have pointed out, 9mms aren't a favorite for serious social work, but as a plinker they only come second to a 22 cal for pure fun. What I have ended up with is a S&W 459 and a Hi-point. The S&W is a bit chubby in the grip due to high capacity magazine well, but has good sights and very accurate when fed what it likes. The Hi-point is almost ridiculously cheap for an American made gun with an unbelievable warranty. They handle my ammunition without any of the concerns towards leading and feeding that you expressed. I load 9mm ammo just up to where the firearm functions well. The jury is still out on a Contender project I am in the middle of. My intention is to use the small capacity 9mm case to serve as a reduced charge substitute for propelling a 160 gr cast silhouette bullet.

All my 9mm handguns shoot a Lee cast 125 gr rn pushed with Bullseye, Red dot or Promo being the propellants I choose to employ. These have also been loaded with a 140 gr rn for use on some steel targets with marginal effectiveness, although still very accurate. My two auto 9s like slugs sized at .357 with a full ring of “Best lube” applied.

Whatever you choose, be prepared to accommodate your 9 with some attention as to the bulleteering you will need to do in order for you both to be happy. Best of skill to you.

Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

gussy posted this 19 November 2011

In the dealers today going through his catalog. Some all metal types that I looked at: CZ, Desert Eagle, tarus, berreta. Opinions on these??

The Smiths listed are out of my price range for plinking. I still can't warm up to the idea of a plastic frame. I've worked too long in construction and have seen plastic “good forever” fail. The frames will too at some point.

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 20 November 2011

Hey Gussy

Baretta, Hi-point, Taurus and CZ have all come through my shop for repairs that would indicate heavy load failures. Actual experience with Magnum research does not extend to their 9mm model, although I can tell you any internal modifications will void the factory warranty. Local department store ammo seems to be hot enough to damage these guns when cycled through in bulk quantities. Taurus is by far the most inexpensive so far as individual parts and has a responsive service department. Hi-point is a metal auto loader with a send it back warranty. Kinda screws me for repair work but I own one now because of that deal. A local dealer handles Hi-point and there are literally thousands in my area. Of the dozen or so I have had come to me, only one got worked on by me and the factory rep supplied instructions along with a free part. No I don't have any professional ties or financial interest in Hi-point. It is a good, cheap gun. In my opinion and experience, good, functional ammunition, will not cause premature failure in any of the firearms mentioned.

hth                                                                                                                  Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

gussy posted this 20 November 2011

Thank you, that is the information I was looking for. :)

Actually, it will not see a tremendous amount of shooting and when I hand load with cast bullets, the loads will be just enough to function well.  It might get some factory loads until I get empties or buy some.

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 21 November 2011

Do yourself a favor and at least check out the Ruger SR9 before deciding. The magazine safety can also be easily removed so you can fire it without a mag installed. I've got smallish hands and the 17+1 grip with reversible backstrap fits my hand very well. I shoot primarily cast but have also loaded some very warm jacketed HP's and nothing I feed this pistol bothers it.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

gussy posted this 23 November 2011

shastaboat wrote: Do yourself a favor and at least check out the Ruger SR9 before deciding. The magazine safety can also be easily removed so you can fire it without a mag installed. I've god smallish hands and the 17+1 grip with reversible backstrap fits my hand very well. I shoot primarily cast but have also loaded some very warm jacketed HP's and nothing I feed this pistol bothers it.

My dealer said he was getting in 4 of them on Mon (last Mon).  I went in to have a look and his order came in but they weren't in it!!  I am still looking.  There's a gun show in Spokane the second weekend in Dec.  I am planning on going if the weather is good for driving.

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 23 November 2011

Here is a listing for a VG used SR9 single tone color.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=260485321

Because I said so!

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 24 November 2011

Yes, go with an American 9, they have metal to them.

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 24 November 2011

One of the first things I would do when the gun arrives is slug the bore. Nominally, 9MM's have a .356” bore. I guess nobody informed taurus, Ruger or Smith & Wesson of that fact as mine all have groove diameters od .357” ot slightly larger. The S&W is hard to measure because of their 5 groove barrels. Once I determined the groove diameter, I sized a bullet to .359” and made a dummy round tosee if it would chamber and still have enough room to expand i the chamber when fired. At least in my three guns that size is OK but if that dummy's neck is the same as a fired round, then .358” just might be the better way to go. For many years I've read that a cast bullet for 9MM should be sized to .356” and wondered why groups from various 9MMs were so crappy. I tried .357” and there was improvement, then .358” and it was even better and finally .359” which was as large as I was willing to go for my guns which were an S&W 6906, Taurus PT99 and a Ruger P85. The Taurus as a bit fussier about seating depth than the other two but once I got that figured out jams ceased to exist. Now I use the same seating depth for all three guns with no problems. My bullet of choice is the Lyman #356402, a truncated cone shaped bullet that nominally weighs 121 gr. in Lyman's alloy. Mine weigh right at 125 gr. and I load a fairly stiff charge of Unique. I'm not the greatest pistol shot in the world but my loads run right around 2” from a sandbag rest and hit to the same place as the jacketed ammo that's in the guns for serious social intercourse. :coffee FWIW, if I'm not carrying my S&W M60 .38 Spl., then I'm carrying the 6906. The Taurus and Ruger are just too darn bulky to conceal most of the year here in southern Arizona. Even during most of the winter long heavy coats or jackets just are not needed, even at night. Well, most of the time anyway. .>.>.>.> Paul B.

Attached Files

gussy posted this 26 November 2011

I did see a Ruger Fri. It did not feel right in my hands. The grip didn't feel good and it was too light. The compact model was even worse.

Gun show in 2 weeks will allow me to see/feel probably every type I'm considering. Might buy one too.

Attached Files

beerd posted this 29 December 2011

for plinking, has anyone tried the Lee 105gr SWC? ..

Attached Files

303PV posted this 30 December 2011

Yes, 4.0 grs B'eye COL=26.5 mm Sellier & Bellot case W-W primer. I also tried 4.7 grs Accurate no 2. The pistol I used is a FN HP. The 105 grain Lee punches a nice round hole in the paper target.

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 30 December 2011

Add 18 rounds to that Ruger and carry it all day and then tell me how light or heavy it is. For CCW carry light is best. Also you can reverse the backstrap on the SR9.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

gussy posted this 30 December 2011

I'm still kicking tires:D:D

Until I hold a few more brands, I'm holding off on buying.  I also still want steel as opposed to the current trend of plastic.  Steel is forever, plastic is for toys, rain gutters and car parts.....:shock:.... sorry, not in my guns!!!

:coffee

Gus

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close