My revolver is a sw 686 with 6 inch barrel. Question is bullet size. I found that a soft swc with gas checks sized at .360 bhn of 10/11. I'm wondering if I can use this same bullet in my 686 without any ill effects. Appreciate any thoughts on this..
Bullet size for 357 revolver
- 289 Views
- Last Post 07 October 2022
Will this bullet pass through the cylinder throats with some slight resistance? If it falls through, which is unlikely, it will gas cut and lead the barrel due to being undersized. There is more to consider but this would be the starting point.
Yep, match the cylinder throat diameter to the bullet diameter and you will usually have a winner. Too small and you will play hell with leading and poor accuracy.
David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .
Your 0.360 bullets are likely too large for the throats in your 686. This is not a problem if you are using moderate loads - not over the starting loads in your manual. Your bullet hardness is about right and should shoot clean.
There may be problems chambering the rounds with bullets that large. My 686 will not accept rounds loaded with 0.358 bullets with some types of brass.
I shoot .357 and .358 in my 686 and GP100 with NO leading. I seat the bullets out to 1.55 with med tapper crimp. These are solid lead @ BHN 12
Duane has got it pretty well cornered I think.
- All Categories
- General Polls
- Contact Us w/ Forum Issues
- Welcome to The Cast Bullet Association Forum
- Bullet Casting
Guns and Shooting
- AR Platform
- TC Contenders & Other Single Shot Handguns
- Informal Matches & Other Shooting Events
- Gunsmithing Tips
- Gun Cleaning & Maintenance
- Benchrest Cast Bullet Shooting
- Military Bench Rest Cast Bullet Shooting
- Silhouette Shooting
- Postal Match Cast Bullet Shooting
- Factory Guns
- Black Powder Cartridge
- Hand Guns
- Lever Guns
- Single Shot Rifles
- Bolt Action Rifles
- Military Surplus Rifles
- Plinkers Hollow
- Buy, Sell or Trade
- Other Information & Reference