Bullet size for 357 revolver

• Last Post 07 October 2022
2frogs posted this 23 September 2022

My revolver is a sw 686 with 6 inch barrel. Question is bullet size. I found that a soft swc with gas checks sized at .360 bhn of 10/11. I'm wondering if I can use this same bullet in my 686 without any ill effects. Appreciate any thoughts on this..

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Qc Pistolero posted this 07 October 2022

Duane has got it pretty well cornered I think.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
2frogs posted this 07 October 2022

Lead is a bhn of 5 not 12. But anyway.thanks.

Attached Files

alco posted this 06 October 2022

I shoot .357 and .358 in my 686 and GP100 with NO leading.  I seat the bullets out to 1.55 with med tapper crimp.   These are solid lead @ BHN 12

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 03 October 2022

Your 0.360 bullets are likely too large for the throats in your 686. This is not a problem if you are using moderate loads - not over the starting loads in your manual. Your bullet hardness is about right and should shoot clean.

There may be problems chambering the rounds with bullets that large. My 686 will not accept rounds loaded with 0.358 bullets with some types of brass. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
David Reiss posted this 24 September 2022

Yep, match the cylinder throat diameter to the bullet diameter and you will usually have a winner. Too small and you will play hell with leading and poor accuracy. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Maven
  • Bud Hyett
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 24 September 2022

Will this bullet pass through the cylinder throats with some slight resistance?  If it falls through, which is unlikely, it will gas cut and lead the barrel due to being undersized.  There is more to consider but this would be the starting point.

Attached Files

Close