Cast Bullet Boxes

• 5.9K Views
  • Last Post 23 April 2010
CB posted this 10 August 2009

How do you guys choose to store your Cast. Sure some cast them and load them same week but others store for future use. I store almost all in plastic boxes or cigar boxes. I have a thousand or so in many type Cast stored right now.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JSH posted this 10 August 2009

I store mine in coffee cans. Thes have been rough culled and sorted. As to lubed and sized bullets. I store them in 50 round ammo trays. That makes it nice to see what you have on hand at a glance. I have a heavy duty card file cabinet with small drawers. Two drawers at a time roll out. You can grab one and remove it from the cabinet and take it to the loading bench. The replace it when you are done. I use a grease pencil to mark the hard plastic and some lables to mark the styrafoam ones. Marked with date, size and lube. jeff

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 10 August 2009

Coffee cans, cardboard cartons, cigar boxes, cookie tins, margarine tubs, chinese food takeout trays, no small container gets trown out around here. The larger problem is that the containers keep getting empty.:shock:

Jack

Attached Files

PETE posted this 10 August 2009

Most of the hard bullets, 50/50 Lino/ww, I store in coffee cans. But, since I mostly shoot plain base bullets that are relatively soft.... 1-25..... I will segregate them out by wgt., after casting, and then put them in order into those plastic trays 9 mm ammo comes in I scrounge up at the range.

PETE

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 10 August 2009

Heavy class spoken here and we also sort by weight and store in the 100 round plastic pistol bullet cases.

Attached Files

acdman posted this 10 August 2009

Turn into a “dumpster diver” at the range and collect those white foam boxes commercial ammo comes in from the trash barrels. 9mm/38 boxes work fine for normal cast bullets and 45 boxes are great for larger bullets. Foam is so soft it does no damage to even the softest bullet <30:1>

Free too. Foam also good to make notes on re alloy, weight, etc.

Attached Files

acdman posted this 10 August 2009

That 30 should read “30 to 1"

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 10 August 2009

Glad I'm not the only dumpster diver around here. My better half thinks I'm a pack rat, I just call it being prepared. Last month I got around 55 lbs. of babbit for 25 cents a pound, found it in the bottom of a filthy dumpster at a recycler. I store my bullets in plastic baby wipe boxes.(Side benefit of grandchildren). My wife saves almost any plastic container for me, including ice cream boxes, yogurt tubs, etc. I also cruise yard sales, you can get all the tupperware you want for peanuts.

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 August 2009

Oh hell I think there is a bit of dumpster driver in all of us.. I collect all kinds of stuff, my wife helps me gather desiccant from her job, havent bought any in years. The foam boxes ACDMan talks about are great too. Tupperware is great for pistol bullets due to the large amount I cast, but I have been known to use recycled miracle whip plastic jars, peanut butter jars, the small containers my diabetes test strips come in make great small screw and gun part containers and are watertight. I dont consider it being cheap, I like to think I am a green person and helping the environment in my own little way.

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 12 August 2009

For .22 caliber, if sorting by weight and storing, use a CCI primer tray. It stores 100 of them.

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 12 August 2009

After casting, I store the bullets in Rubbermaid food containers. For a long time cigar boxes were used, but was always concerned about the bottom falling out.

After lubing, 30 cal  bullets are stored in 22 cal CCI ammo boxes. I have a lot of them from about 40 years of bullseye competion. They hold about 50 bullets.

Jim

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 August 2009

All good stuff guys. I am one of the original garbage can scavengers.me and my buddy would go over to the park across from the high school and pull out all the bag lunches the kids never ate.

I too search through our Ranges cans and pull out plastic trays, sabot boxes, 22 mag & 17 cal boxes.  38, 45, carbine, and some hi-power boxes. I fill cast bullets in the plastic boxes with lids.

One item you guys haven't mentioned are the plastic boxes you can buy at the 99 cent stores. Lastly I have hundreds of Berger bullet boxes. I can get over 100 bullets 6mm size in a Berger box.

Most plastic boxes are free. Just for the taking. Ask first if you have too.

Stephen Perry

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 12 August 2009

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 August 2009

Jeff

Great looking bullets in a left-over box.

Stephen Perry

Attached Files

devin1955 posted this 13 August 2009

I store mine individually in their own little brass case.

/images/emoticons/134.gif   Sorry, I couldn't resist. -Don

Attached Files

Kodyak posted this 18 August 2009

I got a carton of 50 round .45LC cartridge-boxes from MidwayUSA awhile back and they work ok.

Jim

Attached Files

largecaliberman posted this 07 September 2009

Stephen Perry wrote: How do you guys choose to store your Cast. Sure some cast them and load them same week but others store for future use. I store almost all in plastic boxes or cigar boxes. I have a thousand or so in many type Cast stored right now.

Stephen Perry

I use those US Army ammunition 50 caliber boxes.  Airtight, watertight and very stackable.  Even those reloaded bullets, I store them in bulk.  Before I head for the range, I would put them in MTM ammo boxes just to make them look “pretty” and organized.  Keeping them in airtight/moisture tight containers will keep my brass looking just like the day I polished them.  :lovecast:

I may add also, they are very stackable.

Attached Files

Tazman1602 posted this 07 November 2009

JeffinNZ wrote:

Attached Files

Johnny Breedlove posted this 17 November 2009

I store all my freshly made bullets in metal cans mostly 1 gal. size. After I size and lube them I put them in custom made trays that I made out of OSB board. I made them to hold 2 hundred of each caliber and deep enough that they don't protude above the top of the tray. Then I can stack them 3 or 4 high and put a terry towel over the top one to keep the dust out

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 17 November 2009

Nut and bolt boxes scrounged from trash at work . Put a layer of lubed and sized boolits in , cut a divider from cereal box to put on top of boolits and add another layer of boolits then repeat till box is full . Use a felt pen to label caliber , mould,wieght and alloy . They stack pretty nice too.

Attached Files

Dicko posted this 22 December 2009

I wouldn't have thought it important.   I use marg tubs and ice cream tubs because that's what's available in my house.   I wouldn't bother to stand them in neat rows.   I used to till I found what a waste of time it is.   I just dump 'em loose in the tubs.  They don't get damaged.

I will load them the day I cast them if it is convenient, but I don't shoot them before three weeks after casting.   That's because they are quite soft 24 hours after casting and age harden over three weeks.   If they are harder than they need be for purpose they can be fired a bit earlier.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close