NOE 260 105

• Last Post 12 March 2023
Shuz posted this 09 March 2023

Doe anyone have any experience that they would like to share about the NOE 260 105 in either the .250 Savage or the .25-06.?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Lee Guthrie posted this 09 March 2023

Not a NOE but a NEI.

Once upon a time, back in the 90s, I ordered an NEI 115257 in 2 cavity.  It cast a 115gr  FPGC.  Mould worked well and bullet was good enough to shoot "well".  Well enough for hunting, but it wasn't a match rifle.  The mould was made by Walt to be .259 (or .2585 -- I'm relying on memory of what was written on the box) when cast of linotype.  (Walt's moulds were normally calibrated for lino) However, when cast of WW + tin it was not large enough for my rifle.  I had been loading with jacketed to velocities that were ridiculous (I'm older and wiser now........).  Just a tad of throat erosion.

So, a caution:  a .25-06 can get substantial throat erosion faster than you think, so check the throat in your rifle.  Your mould may not be able to cast large enough unless you use lino or maybe even monotype. (Someone probably made bump dies for a large .25 bullet, but I haven't seen any)

Attached Files

Shuz posted this 10 March 2023

I have shot many 1" or less, 5 shot groups outta my Savage 16 in .250 Savage with the Saeco 25-100. Similar nice 5 shot groups outta my .25-06 Remington 700 with a RCBS 25-120. The only reason I bought the NOE 260 105 was to increase the speed of casting. It is a 4c aluminum mould, whereas the other 2 moulds are only 2c. I have severe peripheral neuropathy and can not cast for long sessions anymore with even 2c steel moulds. My initial trials with the NOE 260 105 in the .250 Savage have not been as accurate, therefore the query. I have yet to try the 260 105 in the. 25-06.

Attached Files

shootcast posted this 10 March 2023

I bought this mold a few years back as I’m kinda a nut for 25 caliber stuff. I wanted to add another mold to my collection. First NOE makes very nice quality molds. The unusual thing with this bullet is it’s particular as to whether it will shoot for you. Nothing against the maker. I have several 25 caliber firearms . This Bullet shoots poorly for me in most of them. However I found a load for two firearms that shoot as good or better than anything with any other mold. I won a couple postals a few years back in Break Open class using this mold. Cast of soft w/wt. alloy air cooled and un-sized. Also without gas checks. Last year I started shooting LRH with a barrel ( used )  I chambered on a table top lath. I like to tinker. Anyway in this XP the NOE shoots the best as any Bullet/ load I have found. The BC is listed at somewhere around .300 ? Don’t remember exactly. I thought it might help with those 200 yard targets. The Saeco 100 shoots better on average in just about any 25 I put them in. So like all cast Bullet stuff, it’s a crap shoot. 

Attached Files

shootcast posted this 10 March 2023

Thought I would post this for you. I needed to get out of the house . The wind was blowing hard enough to remove articles from the bench. I only shot at 50 yards. No flags. Just shot when I felt it seemed best to do so. This was shot with a F&N Mauser in 250 Savage . My dad’s rifle I inherited and took my first deer with as a junior in high school. The bore is moisture pitted badly from hunting use. Bringing it in from the cold condensation formed. Never thought about wiping the bore. Anyway it does has sentimental value to me. I have tried many times to shoot hunter class with this rifle. I never do very well. I decided to try the NOE in this rifle. Because of the bore I used a light load. Fast burning powder near the recommended high end. But velocity wise on the mild side. I shot it as cast and as the photo shows tapered. This NOE Bullet is a dead ringer for the Eagan 25 mx. Just a little heavier. Yes you have to tapper it. All things considered I didn’t think this was terrible. When primers are more available I will probably try my luck again in hunter class with it. It like all firearms are fun to shoot even if your not top gun.

Attached Files

Shuz posted this 10 March 2023

shootcast-- What do you mean by tapering the bullet? How do you do that?

What was your charge of Red Dot?

That's a decent group at 50 yards. It would be interesting to see how it does at 100.

I currently have some loaded up with 9.5g of Red Dot, but snow and cold weather have prevented me from trying them out.

Does your very first band mic. 254-.255, or something else.

I'm sizing my bullets to .2585 in a push thru from the bottom sizer and tubing with Ben's liquid lube formula. My bullets are also gas checked with Hornady checks. My OAL is 2.500 and primers are Rem 9 1/2's.

Attached Files

shootcast posted this 11 March 2023

Years ago there was gunsmith from Pa. named I believe Don Eagan. He catered mainly to cast Bullet shooters. He made some of the most treasured single cavity nose pour molds. He also made some tapering dies for bullets. RCBS also made some years back. You replaced the sizing die in your Lube/ sizer with this die. As you stroked the handle it forced the bullet into the die. The die was coned shaped sort of. This tapered a non tapered Bullet. Just something else to play with. Sometimes you can benefit and sometimes it hurts. RCBS stopped making these because to much force broke the Lube/ sizer. There are other ways of doing this. If money is no regard check out Corbin presses. Some homemade devices use reloading press. I can make minor changes using a arbor press converted for doing this. Did and article years back for fouling shot. Don’t remember what year or issue. The Lyman manual 3 rd edition list 9 grains of Red dot as max. This for a 105 gr. Bullet in the 250 Savage. This load was not by weight . A Lee dipper was used. I forget the exact weight but remember weighing it. Somewhere close to max. Because this Bullet was tapered I don’t have the information of diameter your asking for. That is determined by how far you force the bullet into the die and the shape of the die. Also the OAL will be different based on the particular firearm. Same as sizing diameter could vary. All good stuff to keep you busy.

Attached Files

Shuz posted this 11 March 2023

Perhaps the fellow who designed the 260 105 for NOE, "Blammer" I believe, was his handle on the Cast Boolit forum designed it to, in effect, cause a taper to the driving bands?

I started a similar discussion about the NOE 260 105 on the Artful Bullet forum.

The RCBS Cast Bullet manual shows 9.5g of Red Dot as max with a 100g bullet.

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 11 March 2023

This bullet is one of the most accurate and consistent in my .25 Ackley Krag.  This is the full length krag case fire-formed with little body taper & shoulder blown out to 40 deg.  17.0 grs. H4227 @ 100yds. gave a 5 shot group of 1" with 4 in .400".  This is a hunting rifle as oposed to a target rifle.  Original Circa 1880 Sharps Borchardt action with med. heavy 26" barrel 1-10" twist.  Leupold 7.5X fixed.  The most accurate  cast bullet so far is a nose- pour Hoch 258-117 PB.  The Hoch nose-pour...and other nose-pour molds with a separate plate...or "shelf" built into bottom of mould such as the Leeth opens up a whole new playing field.  With these, a gas-check can be inserted into cavity..supported by plate & mold closed.  Opening mold after a pour reveals a cast in place gas checked bullet.   Sizing crimps check secure.  I am able to achieve 3/4" groups at 100yds. using 15.5 - 16.0 gr. H4227.  The very best groups using .25 jacketed match gave 3/4" groups..so I didn,t think that was too shaby.  Best of luck!

Attached Files

shootcast posted this 12 March 2023

My pet 25’s are off the 222 case. Named Ackley but never found that he did this one. Same principle less case taper and 40 degree shoulder. My best match score in over twenty years came from my Savage 12 chambered 25-222 Ackley. 391-?x. It has a 1-10 twist and the RCBS 120 shot best for me. I haven’t fooled with that  rifle for awhile and need to start shooting it again. I admit that I shot a lot of really bad scores also with it. I just can’t seem to pick one firearm and shoot it. The heavy bullets only work for me in 1-10 twist. The barrels I have with slower twist have never shot well with anything over105. The loads that shoot well in one doesn’t necessarily shoot well in the others. Same chambering!!! 

Attached Files

Shuz posted this 12 March 2023

.22-10-45....That's some fine shootin' and from a wildcat that I have never heard of. The capacity of that blown out shoulder case must be close to .25-06? Thanks for the input on the Hoch nose pour mould. I'd like to try that design powder coated. I bet that mould is as scarce as hairs on a frog! Have you tried either the Saeco 25-100, or the RCBS 25-120 in your .25 imp Krag?

Attached Files

Close