glass bedding w/ barrel band

• Last Post 18 October 2017
loophole posted this 16 October 2017

I've been bedding bolt action rifles with accraglass and devcon since the late 70's.  I almost always get MOA  accuracy out of any good barreled action.  I have built a reproduction Springfield sporter with a Smith Carona action and very good looking two-groove bbl.  I had this in a target stock w/ floated bbl. and it shot very good groups/. 

I have always free-floated the bbl, but of course that won't work with the bbl band.  I accraglass bedded the sporter and installed the band with light tension on top  of  the bbl.  I cannotget much less than 3" groups with cast loads which shoot less than half that in other rifles. Jacketed loads which are very accurate in other rifles shoot terrible groups in the sporter.

I never had trouble with bbl bands on single shot rifles and my Win 52B is very  accurate.

What can be done to get accuracy from a bolt gun with the band?  Any help appreciated.

Steve K

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 October 2017

i don't have a useful opinion on this ... never bedded a springfield ... why do you need the barrel band ??  

ken

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 16 October 2017

Steve,

First, PM your email and I will send you an article I wrote about 20 years ago on making Springfield Match rifles.

Springfields and other rifles with square groove threading, do react the same as ones with "v" threaded barrels. Plus they are thicker in the middle than any other military barrel. Basically you want the bedding to only support the first inch of barrel shank, free float to the center of the band. There should be a "V" on the bottom of the barrel channel pushing up with about 7 pounds pressure. Relieve the inside of the barrel band (or thin the stock) to free float the inside of the barrel band over the barrel. Townsend Whelen and the guys at Springfield Armory worked all this out in the 1920's. The Sporters over National Matches shot smaller groups on a whole.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
38splpete posted this 17 October 2017

Ric--I'd be very interested in also receiving that article if you don't mind.  I have a Springfield sporter that needs to be bedded.  

Pete Voss        [email protected]       Thanks, Pete

Attached Files

Reg posted this 17 October 2017

Ric,

Wondering if I also could get a copy of that article on bedding with a barrel band.  This is exactly how I planned on bedding the Krag I am making into the 35-40

Reg

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 17 October 2017

On the way. Also it is on the blog site here, published 12 Sept 2017.

Attached Files

John Carlson posted this 18 October 2017

Blog site link doesn't work for me, got another route?

John Carlson. CBA Director of Military Competition.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 October 2017

Send me a PM with your email, and I will do it that way.

Attached Files

loophole posted this 18 October 2017

email [email protected].  I will try your recommendations. Thanks for your help

Steve K

email [email protected]

I have free floated the bbl, except for the first 1".  I will try shimming under the band as you recommend, and no contact of bbl on band.

Very much appreciate your help.

Attached Files

loophole posted this 18 October 2017

Ken, Springfield sporters, made in the early 30's I believe, were made with bbl bands.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 October 2017

When you ordered an "NRA Sporter" from Springfield Armory (1926 -1937) this is what you got. Now they are called "Springfield Sporters" even though that is not the correct name.

Attached Files

Close