For the 45 auto why not a 230 gr SWC mould ? Instead of 200 gr SCW

• 1.3K Views
  • Last Post 17 November 2021
Michael S posted this 28 December 2020

I really like shooting the 45 auto in my 1911-A1 handguns. I own a RCBS 230 RN and  Lyman 255 RN mould and they shot excellent when cast of WW and sized to .454 dia and Carnauba Blue lube out of my three 1911's   But when I am shooting the bulls eye matches the raged holes edge is some times hard to tell if i cut the line or not, and every point at 50 y counts. So I have been trying to get my Springfield's to feed the Saeco #453 WC 

My Loaded Operator will with only the last round in the mag not feeding. But my GI models will only feed the round if slide is locked back and released. But when I shot that round the next round wont feed. 

So my option is a SWC but I have only seen those moulds in 200 gr . I just like the 230 gr ball for all of my 1911 shooting and I am use to that weight. Going to a 200 gr bullet for just a match is something I would rather not do. 

Does changing the profile from a RN to a SWC change the weight by 130 grs? 

GOD, United States of America, US Marine Corps, Family, Self

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 28 December 2020

RCBS makes a 45-230-RN with a slight shoulder that might cut a clean hole.  If you want to throw money at the problem, consider any of the custom mold makers to make what you think might work.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett

I am using the RCBS mould you mention. But sadly it leaves a raged edge hole in the NRA bulls eye paper targets. So fare that is the only paper I have shot with that cast bullet, all other shooting is at the dueling tree. It is in my opinion the easiest to cast mould and handsomest looking RN for the 45 auto that I own, it just leaves a messy hole.  

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 28 December 2020

Duane has chosen the correct RCBS mold, the 45-230-RN. RCBS also makes a 225 grain mold that does not shoot nearly as well, do not buy it. I've had good success with this 230 grain mold at the Elmer Keith Memorial Match shooting out to 225 yards with several revolvers in .45 Colt using 9.3 grains Unique.

Currently, my go-to mold for .45 ACP and .45 Colt is the SAECO #954, a 235 grain flat-point roundnose. It feeds well in all my .45 pistols and my Marlin 1894 .45 Colt rifle. C E Harris recommended this bullet a decade ago and I've tried it. I am hoping the Elmer Keith match will be this coming year as I want to try the SAECO bullet at longer ranges. I take lots of ammunition for the Friday practice day. 

I also have the H&G 200 grain semi-wadcutter and the RCBS 45-230-RN. The H&G 200 grain semi-wadcutter feeds well and cuts a cleaner hole than others I've tried. The cleaner hole is definitely a bonus in Bullseye competition. I set the bullet out to where the bullet contacts the lands to assure repeating headspace, Ed Doonan and I used a Ransom Rest at 50 yards for extensive testing and this was one attribute that showed better accuracy for all pistols tested. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 28 December 2020

Is this what you seek?

http://arsenalmolds.com/45-keith-Bullet-mold

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
JeffinNZ posted this 28 December 2020

How about this?

452-228-SWC-BM1 2 Cavity PB | NOE Bullet Moulds (noebulletmolds.com)

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett

Yes that will work. I left a msg with Jarod so I can order it in January. Thanks for the link.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
BigMan54 posted this 29 December 2020

I favor the old #452488. However it doesn't stabilize until it's reached 50ft, with light loads. Never tried it in full power loads.

The H&G #68 is also a favorite in old pistols not ramped & throated. A full power combat load feeds without problem in my old Glock M21 w/ Wolfe bbl.  I have the RCBS version 45-201-KT. And a newer MP version.

And always the old #452374. Cuts not a clean hole as the SWC type bullet, but it feeds in just about anything. 

The Lee #452-230-TC is another good bullet. But I've never shot it at paper, only steel. A problem I intend to rectify. 

Sorry not much help. 

I have room for all on my shelves. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 30 December 2020

In the 60's and 70's I shot alongside the USMC pistol team many times. The team tested a bunch of bullets and loads and the testing was in a machine rest with the team pistols. The selected loads were then tested in match conditions by the entire team. A  hollow point jacketed bullet which gave smaller groups beat a jacketed SMC which cut clean holes. Accuracy and feeding dependability was everything. The ragged holes were just fine, that is what a plug is for in the match.

You can use a plug in practice but in a match it must be used by a match official. 

The RCBS 45 -230- RN is an excellent bullet both for feeding and accuracy. Seating it out to contact the lands in a individual pistol will get you the full accuracy potential of the gun. I am now using Accurate's 45-231B, it is just as accurate as the RCBS bullet and feeds as well. The advantage is you can get a 4 cavity mold and have it cast the diameter of your choice.

Steve 

Attached Files

Michael S posted this 05 January 2021

I am putting the Saeco #954 on back order with MidWay USA  . Redding tech did not have an eta on when that particular mould would be made. He did say in regards to the not returning to full battery that he would try a lighter  recoil spring. The tech also said this forum is a good forum, after I stated I was recommended the Saeco 954 on the CBA forum. 

In the mean time I did load some heavier loads using the HS-6 powder on new years day. I just have not gotten to the range yet to try the new charge with the Saeco #083

Attached Files

Michael S posted this 19 January 2021

I increased the charge of HS-6  to 8.0gr for the Saeco #543 235.6gr Wad Cutter  casted of WW  sized .454 dia Carnauba blue lube  and all five rounds cycled properly threw my Springfield 1911-A1 GI 45 auto pistol today. At 25yards slow fire so my son could chase the brass. All 5 shots touched each other. Recoil was manageable shooting one handed, and I look forward to the bullseye matches this year if we have them. I still do plan to buy that Saeco SWC #954 SWC that is on back order.

Attached Files

GregT posted this 23 October 2021

Just found this discussion. The Hensley and Gibbs #68 long nose SWC is the best .45 ACP target slug you can find! The bullet casts out 200 grains with WW metal and I use 50/50 lube. H&G has been gone a long time but I have a 4 bullet gang mould by SAECO that I pump these bullets out with. Lee Precision makes a copy, I believe most mould-makers have this mould. Casts at .452

GregT

Hayward, Wisconsin

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
MP1886 posted this 23 October 2021

Probably this is more to your liking and comes in solid, hollow point, etc.  Like everything else in the gun world it's out of stock.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/453-490-hollow-point-2-cavity-plain-base-mold/

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 02 November 2021

H&G #68 was the most popular 45 auto target bullet. It found favor because it fed well in most standard feed ramps and throats. H&G #130 was the runner-up, the advantage of lighter weight was offset by the need for special throating and magazine adjustment to win reliable feeding. 

H&G offered heavy modifications of #68. I never saw anyone using them, but there must have been some demand. Finding a used H&G mold may be difficult, an easier way is to order Accurate Molds, 45-200H. This is a copy of H&G #68 and over 100 molds for the design have been sold. Since each is custom cut you can get any weight you want, bevel or plain base and the molds are first rate. 

This is the H&G catalog

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 02 November 2021

I like the 215g semi-wadcutters

Attached Files

Little Debbie posted this 03 November 2021

Cheaper and easier is the Lee copy of the H&G #68, this is the one with the conventional lube groove. Mine casts at .453 and I tumble lube with 45/45/10 and load as cast. Seat with just a bit of the shoulder of the bullet exposed to help align the cartridge in the chamber. They feed in several 1911s, a S&W, Glock and a SIG. Very accurate in 1917 revolvers too. Cut nice sharp holes in the target. A two or even six cavity Lee mold is an inexpensive way to see if it will work for you.

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 04 November 2021

I have several LEE molds and they work very well. I have also worn out 3 of them. I agree they are a good way to try out a cast design like H&G 68. However, you are not going to get a heavy weight version from LEE unless you use their custom service. If you go that route you might as well get a full custom mold made. 

Another way is to order some bullets from a casting service. They usually use hard alloy BHN 18 -20 which is good for autos. All of them offer a #68 clone because of its proven feeding and accuracy. 

The use of # 68 and # 130 in state and national level competition by master class shooters is proof of excellent design. You can't go wrong with either bullet in a 45.

Attached Files

Geargnasher posted this 16 November 2021

Accurate 45-230L is my design and cuts reasonably clean holes.  It is carefully designed to feed like "ball" ammunition and works best with both tapered lip and hybrid magazines.  Load it to 1.265".

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 16 November 2021

Accurate 45-230L is my design and cuts reasonably clean holes.  It is carefully designed to feed like "ball" ammunition and works best with both tapered lip and hybrid magazines.  Load it to 1.265".

In a finely tuned 1911 should be able to feed empty cases.  I've shot such heavies as the RCBS 255 grain SWC from my 1911's with zero problems and feed just fine.  I also use to load the Speer 250 grain SWC swaged bullet too.  You can get loads for those out of some the past Lyman cast manual and they use them only in the 45 Auto Rim and they will work with the 45 ACP case. Just watch your OAL.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 17 November 2021

I shot a 215 grain semi-wadcutter in Bullseye matches for several years, a SAECO mold that I borrowed. It shot very well. This bullet was very accurate at 50 yards, fed well and reloaded well with the bevel base. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Close