Anyone shoot cast in 1-14 twist 6PPC?

• Last Post 28 March 2023
bumtownbutch posted this 27 March 2023

Wanting to shoot my PPC in local cast tournaments.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bud Hyett posted this 27 March 2023

I tried this combination many years ago (Pre-1988) and was not successful. I had an Eagan 68 grain tapered mold similar to the SAECO #315. The 10-shot grouping was never less than 1 1/2 inches even in the early morning with little crosswind.

The rifle was a trued 788, Acme barrel, that reliably performed sub-half-minute with 68-grain jacketed Berger bullets. Sized both .244 and .245, cast from linotype and monotype, several powders and primers, there was much experimentation. In contrast, Dave Crump successfully shot a 6X43 Improved (a similar cartridge) with a 9" twist. Several people have shot 6mm bullets with a minimum of 10" twist.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but the slow twist will require a very short bullet in my experience. By the way, the 788 6X47 has been retired to a prairie dog rifle with 60 grain Sierra jacketed bullets out to 200 yards.  

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Waleone posted this 27 March 2023

Try it, it may just work for you. There are CBA benchrest shooters using the same cartridge/ twist rate you are inquiring about, check out the published match results in past The Fouling Shot magazines for ideas.

Before starting on an endeavor such as this, I have found it necessary to make sure to completely clean all traces of copper fouling from the bore. Then vigorously run a patch coated with the bullet lube you are using through the bore to precondition it. Some may call it superstition, junk science or voodoo, but that is what seems to work for me. Due to this routine, more and more of my rifles are being used for cast bullets only. 

Wayne

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Paul Pollard posted this 27 March 2023

I shoot 2, unrestricted rifle and unrestricted pistol. They are both 14 twist. The bullet is modeled on an Eagan MX2-243, about 0.810 long and weighs about 80 grains. I usually shoot at 2000 to 2400 fps. I also have David Crump’s mold, which also shoots well. It weighs about 75 grains. Don’t be put off by all the negative talk. A 1:10 twist might be slightly better, but I haven’t changed barrels yet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
John Alexander posted this 27 March 2023

Paul is the CBA National Champion for the Unrestricted Pistol Class for 2022 using the 6PPC with 14" twist. See Fouling Shot #280 for details.

John

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 27 March 2023

Paul Pollard - "I also have David Crump’s mold, which also shoots well. It weighs about 75 grains." 

Who made Dave Crump'a mold and what is its designation? 

I wasn't saying this could not be done, I was attempting to say a slower twist requires more work. I'm shooting a 1 in 14" twist Shilen barrel for my .32-20 CPA that defies Greenhill's Formula. It shoots better than I can point it. My thought is today's barrels are better controlled for finish and uniformity which alters the conventional rifling twist rates wisdom. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 28 March 2023

LBT made the Crump mold. I think it's 245-80 SP. It weighs about 75 gr in linotype. It was made with a built in taper. It's fat at the gas check at .247. The nose tapers nicely in front of the front band. The front band is .243 and I think the nose starts at .239. 

I also don't believe Greenhill gives a good place to spec your bullets. The .645 long bullet fits Greenhill perfectly, but shoots frustratingly. My Mountain Mold bullet is .825 long, doesn't fit the formula, but shoots well. Same with the MX2 Eagan at .810. The Eagan and Mountain are within a whisker when comparing accuracy.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
RicinYakima posted this 28 March 2023

Not my expertise, but the Greenhill formula is less and less accurate as you get smaller than 50 caliber, IMHO. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Close