45 ACP brass with SP pockets

• 1.8K Views
  • Last Post 12 April 2013
Gene posted this 31 January 2013

Is Federal or anyone now making 45 ACP brass with SP pockets ???

I have picked up several Federal cases at the range with SP pockets

Thanks,

Gene

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 31 January 2013

ATK-Federal-CCI apparently make lead-free pistol primers only in the small size, so making .45 ACP cases with the small pocket enables them to use the same primer for all of their lead-free range ammo.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Gene posted this 01 February 2013

Thanks, i don't believe they're available just as brass are they ???

Gene

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 01 February 2013

I've seen CCI Lawman in plain unplated brass with no cannelures with small pocket.

The Win-Free lead-free rounds have a large primer pocket with HUGE 0.12” flash hole. Those are OK to load with standard charges up to 5 grains of Bullseye with a 230-grain lead bullet, and they work fine.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 02 February 2013

I have some .45 ACP brass I thought was Winchester that has the small primer. It was marked “WT” if I remember correctly. These are not good in a progressive machine with Large primers. I had to replace the primer mechanism on my Loadmaster. Now I check very carefully.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

CB posted this 02 February 2013

It was probably “NT". Non-Toxic.

Attached Files

rojkoh posted this 11 April 2013

Clod Hopper wrote: I have some .45 ACP brass I thought was Winchester that has the small primer. It was marked “WT” if I remember correctly. These are not good in a progressive machine with Large primers. I had to replace the primer mechanism on my Loadmaster. Now I check very carefully.

Sir, don't you know that most serious .45 shooters gave up on Bullseye in the 70's? 231 or if you're using a Star: Titegroup. :kilroy:

PS Unique went out the door quickly with the 1911 shooters. We found that 231 is more consistent for accuracy and loading, not to mention a LOT cleaner burning. If I wanted a nasty dirty gun, I have loaded FFFg for the 1911. :shock:

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 11 April 2013

rojkoh wrote: Sir, don't you know that most serious .45 shooters gave up on Bullseye in the 70's? 231 or if you're using a Star: Titegroup. :kilroy:

PS Unique went out the door quickly with the 1911 shooters. We found that 231 is more consistent for accuracy and loading, not to mention a LOT cleaner burning. If I wanted a nasty dirty gun, I have loaded FFFg for the 1911. :shock:

You got any blackpowder loads with cast that work for an M1 Garand? Some farmboy here in West Virginny told me it would work? I think he's been smoking bad weed or drinkin' too much moonshine, What da ya thunk?

Attached Files

Ed Harris wrote: rojkoh wrote: Sir, don't you know that most serious .45 shooters gave up on Bullseye in the 70's? 231 or if you're using a Star: Titegroup. :kilroy:

You got any blackpowder loads with cast that work for an M1 Garand? Some farmboy here in West Virginny told me it would work? I think he's been smoking bad weed or drinkin' too much moonshine, What da ya thunk?

Considering the way FFFg worked in the 1911s, bad idea for the gas guns. Besides, an M1 won't fit in a kitchen sink!

I do refuse to make a portable still for those folks.:D

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 11 April 2013

rojkok,

Sir, Hand around a while here and you will find Mr. Harris an interesting character. He loads only Bulleye powder in everything 32 ACP and 45 ACP and 45 Colt. Also in rifles from 22 Hornet to 575 Rex killers. That way he only buys one powder, Bulleye by the cubic yard.

Ric

Attached Files

RicinYakima wrote: rojkok,

Sir, Hand around a while here and you will find Mr. Harris an interesting character. He loads only Bulleye powder in everything 32 ACP and 45 ACP and 45 Colt. Also in rifles from 22 Hornet to 575 Rex killers. That way he only buys one powder, Bulleye by the cubic yard.

Ric

Well I'm very aware of Ed and some of his quirks (to put it mildly) ;)

But to put it very mildly, he still shoots some of the best rattle battle groups I've seen in years with one of those funny rifles he has in his hands. I think he's aware of what I think of (urp) Bullseye!:uhuhuh:

One more note, I can tell you how many rounds it takes to wear out a COlt 70 series since I've done it. I did fix it and passed it onto a novice shooter. I've shot a LOT of 1911 stuff and have been doing it since mid 70's when I converted from a Browning Hi Power. Amongst my friends were Gunsite Instructors directly for Jeff Cooper. Those were the days! Great stuff. We've done a lot of all kinds of things with the 1911s. Yes I've also shot the race guns, I prefer a nicely tuned Gov't 5” or a good commander.

After thought on this one: Ed's a wheelgunner, I shoot both, but my preference is auto's.

Attached Files

rojkoh posted this 12 April 2013

You never told me the caliber of that thing you're holding Ed. Why isn't it plastic and shot .223?

(ducking and running) :P

(just kidding guys).

Attached Files

Close