Astra 400 ..Anybody ? Anybody ?

• 3.3K Views
  • Last Post 13 February 2015
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 12 January 2013

one of these followed me home .. ok, more than one ...gee, a real man's gun, i sez to myself ...... based on the effort to rack them ....

i got brass ... 9 mm   Largo  ..

anything i should know before i go up in a mushroom cloud ?

these are funny looking ...if i painted one pink ... ... teacher would think it wuz a water squirter ...

it looks like the spanish fight with funny weapons ...   verdad ?

ken

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
pat i. posted this 12 January 2013

I've had one for a while but never shot it. Can't find anyone willing to hold the gun between their knees so I can pull the slide back. Those Spaniards must have been some tough cookies if they were able to lug one of these things around. I think the idea behind the gun was to make a combination billy club/sidearm/jack handle disguised as a squirt gun.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 January 2013

Ken, played with one for a while when they first got imported, late '80's. Having Largo brass is the big thing, don't try working with super or other cases. The one I had would work with 125 grain 38 SWC's (358345) with 2.7 grains of Bullseye. All you want is enough energy to work the slide, as everthing else just beats the frame to crap. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

buffalo george posted this 12 January 2013

I have an Auto Ordnance 911 pistol marked 9x23,an unobtainable (cheaply)  Austrian obsolete caliber. That has thin brass walls ,and wont chamber my 38 superauto brass.and cast 357 bullets.

I passed a 38 super chamber reamer and it works like a charm.

I was told that with the original 9 largo pistols feed and shoot all 9 mm jacketed bullet military rounds.

But I  do not tolerate any jacketed pistol cartridge in my house ,I got the gun for cast bullet shooting..

I used to have a 911 clone in 38 auto caliber that feeded and cycled 9x21 rounds ,with the bullets seated to headspace on the firs band .

Shot a round into  a bullet stuck in the barrel. Had to discard the gun, The barrel bulged and remained open.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 12 January 2013

I have a Star model A in 9 largo(I think it's an A). It does all right with starting loads for the 9mm Luger. Largo data is out there. I think there is a sight devoted to the things if I remember. You may consider cross referencing with 38 auto data. There should be pressure data for that some where.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 13 January 2013

http://www.9mmlargo.com/

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 13 January 2013

grassias, compadres ..( i learned spanish from john wayne movies. ) ..

i will definately start on the conservative side....and maybe play with lighter recoil springs ....and see if i can cobble up a frame buffer ...

fwiw, i have shot a few stars ...they did ok . ....but my * destroyer * carbine seemed to be a bit of a .. hand grenade ...i never shot the destroyer, sold it with a warning ... cute tho ..

thanks again...

ken

Attached Files

Bongo Boy posted this 30 January 2015

I was surprised to see 9mm Largo brass at Starline just a day ago--brought back some memories of the 400 dad bought back in the 60s. I never cared for shooting it much (I was 12 at the time), but always wondered why such a high performance round in 9mm didn't catch on. I tend not to think about those facts of history too much, though. Congrats and have fun.

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 30 January 2015

The Astra 1921 / 400's are good, tough guns.  That said, I hope I never need parts for mine.  I imagine they could be as hard to get parts for as Star pistols, as both companies went out of business in the late '90's.

I've never fired a 9mm Largo round in my Astras.   I've been shooting 9mm Para ammo in mine for years using replacement F.A.C. 9mm Para barrels from Korea (regretfully, no longer available).  The barrels look a little funny as they are threaded.

The inside of my Largo barrels look like the inside of sewer pipes.  I don't know why, maybe the Spanish used only corrosive ammo and there was no effort to clean them.
You can shoot 9mm Para ammo in original 9mm Largo barrels, but it will come out with a pregnant bulge near the case head, that would be difficult if not impossible to size for reloading.  I never tried.   Also, repeated shooting the shorter 9mm Para ammo could put unnecessary stresses on the extractor, causing premature failure.

All barrels should be marked 9mm / 38 for 9mm Largo / .38 Auto (NOT .38 Super or .38 Super Auto).  .38 Super (essentially a +P .38 Auto) should never be fired in an Astra 400.  Near as I can gather from reading, some early units were manufactured that would not accept the thicker rim of the .38 Auto, but must have been recalled and modified to accept the thicker .38 Auto rim.  I don't know what the modification was.  On my 9mm Largo Star Super, I had the extractor “thinned” to create a larger gap between the extractor and face of the slide to accept .38 Super rims (loaded to 9mm Para velocities).  Recently I picked up a spare Star Super extractor in case I have problems down the road.      I just wish I could find a slide stop for my Star Super B.

I occasionally shoot some .38 Super brass downloaded to 9mm Para velocities and pressures (I found an ice cream pail of .38 Super brass that I had primmed a couple decades ago, and figure I may as well shoot it up).  For convenience, I use the same powder charge from my 9mm Para loads in my .38 Auto loads  for my Star Super and Astra 400's.  After I bought the 9mm Para F.A.C. barrels I saw little need for the .38 Super brass.   While the Astras take more effort to pull the slide back (and I can't stick the slide behind my knee and grip it with my leg to rack the slide back like you can with a 1911 style pistol) one doesn't need to be Magilla Gorilla to rack the slide on an Astra (I've heard some terrible overblown claims about how difficult they are to rack the slide back).  You just need to know it takes more effort.   Both the Astra 400 and Star Super (and Super B) are fine guns.  I occasionally get a “What is that?” question about the Astra.

Attached Files

gunauthor posted this 07 February 2015

I have an Astra 400 that I plan to use for the offhand fixed sight auto class for the postal matches.  I've always had pretty good luck with 38 super brass (my Astra is stamped 38) and it is easy to find.  I recently found some loading info in an earlier edition (copyright 1996) of Modern Reloading by Richard Lee (pages 382-383). 

Attached Files

Chicken Men posted this 12 February 2015

I'm new to the forum.  This is the 400 I shoot.  I load all my own with Starline brass.  I have never seen another 400 suppressed.  That's a Gemtech Multimount.  Sup is rigid mounted, no decoupler.  Mostly shoot cast 124's.  I need to work up a 147 load for the 9mm Largo.  Being direct blow back, you don't want to load it too hot with a can on it as the added back pressure increases the slide velocity which could damage the gun.   Bruce

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 13 February 2015

According to a tv show the other night Astra made some very nice guns. The Nazi pilots really liked the Astra 300, a .380. There was the 9mm Kurz, (.380 acp), a 9mm Para and a 9mm Largo. Take your pick.

Attached Files

Close