New Husqvarna is here.

• 5.6K Views
  • Last Post 15 January 2013
JeffinNZ posted this 22 November 2012

Husqvarna single shot is here!!

Some time back I dropped in on a friend and spotted a most beautiful single shot bolt action rifle on his wall. It was a .30-30 Husqvarna No 35 based on the 1871 Mauser action. He has one in .25-20, .32-20, .30-30 and .45-70. It was all downhill from then on for me.

As I am set up for .32-20 I would have preferred that caliber but such examples with bores not ruined by black powder and or corrosive primers are not common. The .25-20 would suit my small game requirements but it would mean setting up a new caliber from scratch. .45-70 in a 6lb rifle is just plain stupid IMHO so .30-30 was the way to go for me as I had brass already, plently of .31 boolit moulds to size to suit and charitable army Maj. in the US with a set of dies for me. Today the rifle arrived.

This evening I started cleaning out 80 years of crud starting with Ed's Red. Tomorrow evening it will be the electro bore cleaner then maybe a lap.

It sure is a lovely wee rifle and I look forward to chucking lead with it.

Post script:

Cleaning commenced last evening. About 3 hours of repeated scrubbing and soaking with Ed's Red and patches still black. This morning I got up early and started the electro bore cleaner. About 4 cycles of 15 minutes and still black on the rod but getting less. It's coming together.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
72coupe posted this 23 November 2012

That is a very nice old rifle. I hope you enjoy it as much as I think I would.

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 23 November 2012

Thanks Jeff

Very nice post. The pictures are great. Words would not have done justice to the rifle. 30-30 is a favorite cartridge for oh so many good reasons, excellent choice for a lucky find. I too am a 31 caliber enthusiast and am confident you will soon have this rifle tuned to perfection. Please keep us up to speed on this adventure.

Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 23 November 2012

Let me know when you tire of it. I'll come to NZ & get it!

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 23 November 2012

I'm looking forward to another purple tights picture with you shooting more pandas with your new Husky! Nice find.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 24 November 2012

Jeff,

Do you know the history of these rifles? Were they conversions of Mauser 1871 military rifles? Where were they done?

These kinds of rifles fasinate me.

Ric

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 24 November 2012

Finally got the bore clean(ish) after about 8 hours of the electro bore cleaner. Then I took an old bronze brush, wrapped a patch around it and coated the patch with cutting compound and gave a bore a good tickle up. The bore is not perfect but still bright with good rifling. I intend to load a 110-120gr boolit for small game, a 180gr boolit for larger game and will try my 205gr for target and out of interest. The barrel measures bang on .300/.308 but to my delight the rifle will chamber a .312 boolit which suits me fine as .312 is the smallest .30cal sizing die I have. I figure the fatter boolit will stand a much better chance of success is the not perfect barrel. More to follow.

RIC: I am having trouble find out much about the rifles but I do know they were new manufacture and not a redo.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 24 November 2012

here is a very interesting web site for husky info:

http://www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml

supposed to be some dope on all husky guns.

i think i have a assy-from-parts commercial husky on a 96 action, but in  ( 30-06  ) mm  ....  dang, another project !  ( g ) .

ken

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 24 November 2012

Thanks for the link! Most intersting. Ric

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 24 November 2012

Yes, I found that the other week but it's still thing on specifics.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 03 December 2012

Got to shoot the wee rifle today. 50m range and I used my modified Lyman 311466 that has been cut into a truncated cone FN. 13 and 14gr of 2400, .312 sized, 2 ply alum gas checks.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 15 January 2013

Well, disaster struck the other day when I had a sticky case at the range and my extractor claw broke off. The wee Huskys have a reputation for said. The chances of finding a spare are near nil so at the weekend I thought I would have a crack at making one. I took a piece of tool steel from my box of lathe bits and pieces and two hours on the grinder and Dremel and viola!

Works perfectly.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

72coupe posted this 15 January 2013

Nice work and good shooting.

Attached Files

Close