9 mm loads

• Last Post 30 October 2023
alco posted this 06 October 2022

I have finally found two loads that don't lead for my 5906.   Both loads with BE @ 3.4  using the Missouri Bullet  125 TCFP .  First .358 seated to 1.085 and .357 seated to 1.10.  The .357 seem to be the best, but sometimes I don't take the time to resize the .358's down to .357.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
delmarskid posted this 07 October 2022

Mine likes them that size too. Been using a Lee 125 flat round nose 6-cavity at 950 or so.

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 22 September 2023

Been a while but Missouri bullets are fanatical about hardness (or lack there of). Too often my leading is due to BHN bullets at 20+ and velocity around 1,000 fps. MO bullets likes 12-18 BHN and they work! To me size is important, but hardness is key. Start soft and work up. Lots of information on hardness and pressure (velocity) on this site and others. I bought 1,000 of a 158 SWC several moons ago from a random supplier and they keep leading all of my < 1,200 fps loads. Just too hard. Same cartridge, same powder charge and a softer bullet, leading is a non issue. Have fun!

Dave C

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
99 Strajght posted this 22 September 2023

I shoot USPSA with 9mm. I use both DG bullets and Lee 124 gr. with 4 gr. of titegroup or 4.2 gr. 231 which ever I can find. Both bullets are seated to 1.125 to touch the lands. Never a leading problem after 1000s of rounds. Both bullets measure .356.

Glenn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
OU812 posted this 22 September 2023

Thin brass and fat bullet should work. Winchester brass is thinner than most and will allow a fatter bullet to chamber...so i hear.

Attached Files

lotech posted this 23 September 2023

I used to shoot 9mm a lot when I was searching for an accurate cast bullet load. The best I've found so far uses an obsolete .38 Special design from Lyman, the #358212. This makes a 150 grain round nose bullet that when sized to .358" or just under shoots surprisingly well in my three 9mm pistols, a Walther P4, a Sig 226, and a Beretta  92F. I use Bullseye powder, but HS-6 is almost as accurate. I use an alloy that approximates ww alloy in hardness. Bores don't lead. MV of my Bullseye load is only about 875  fps, but this is sufficent to operate my guns with 100% reliability. 

At 25 yards, point of impact coincides very closely with point of aim, something I didn't see with lighter bullet weights that shot low. I'm still using a large batch of Winchester 9mm brass that was given to me as once-fired more than thirty years ago when I began my 9mm cast bullet project. It's now been fired many times and seldom do I discard a case, but other brass may work as well. 

I've pretty much lost interest in the cartridge and the guns, much preferring .45 ACP 1911s and various revolvers. The 9mm can be a very accurate cartridge, but it can take a lot of work to get there.  

Attached Files

9.3X62AL posted this 28 October 2023

I size all if my 9mm cast bullets to .357".  

Attached Files

linoww posted this 28 October 2023

the first 10 years I cast bullets all I had was linotype as dad was a pressman. I didn't have leading issues at all.When orderd my HG 503 in 1983 I called and talked to the fellow at h&g and he asked my alloy and said shoot as big as the cylinder will allow.Good advice.

I also size my 9mm 357.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

9.3X62AL posted this 28 October 2023

Linotype is wonderful to cast with, it makes beautiful bullets.

I have loaded for the 9 x 19 for a long time, and relatively hard metal with relatively soft lubes has worked for me castings-wise.  Mess around with 9mm for long enough and you learn quickly that all elements of the 9 x 19 have wide tolerances in component dimensions/specs as well as platform critical specs.  Once you get a handle on your pistol's quirks and preferences the 9mm can be a tractable, accurate critter that's very user-friendly.  

Attached Files

linoww posted this 29 October 2023

in my old Camp 9 Marlin I could shoot the 358156 sans GC cast of linotype sized .357 with wonderful accuracy.The lack of gc on the base helped to not bulge the case with the deep seat bullet.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Qc Pistolero posted this 30 October 2023

the 9 is way down my favorite caliber listing;this being said,I load 4.1 231 under a 125TC cast of WW dropped in water sized .357 and never had a problem with my Sigs,CZ or RugerBlackhawk revolver.No leading and accurate in my CZ and Ruger.

Attached Files

Close