.45 Colt

• 19K Views
  • Last Post 06 May 2014
Pigslayer posted this 07 September 2012

I have always used bullets of gas check design in my handguns with great success. I used a non-gas check design in the 9MM once (long time ago) with incredible leading. O.K., here is where I'm at. I'd like to try a plain base SWC in my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt. I normally use a Lyman #2 alloy & use 8 grs. Unique behind a 255gr. SWC which pushes it between 800 & 900 fps.. LEE offers a couple of molds in that weight range . . . nice looking bullets too! I guess what I'm looking for is anyone who has used PB bullets in the .45 (Long) Colt and what their loads/experiences were.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 07 September 2012

Pigslayer my experience with the 45 Colt is mostly in a pair of Marlin lever rifles although I did have a Ruger Vaquero or two also chambered for the round .

The only molds I ever purchased for either were the Lee 200 and 250 RN FP PB . And as well as I can remmember I didn't use anything but Unique . Everything I cast was plain old aircooled wheelweights .

Incidently the two rifles I had were a Marlin 1894CB with the 24” octagon barrel and the other was a Marlin 1894 SSLTD , that one had a laminated stock forend , stainless metal and the barrel was only 16 1/2” . Shot the short barreled one maybe 50 times and the 1894CB maybe 400 times . As to the Vaquero's I had I doubt if I shot the pair a combined 500 times .

The 1894Cb with the Lee 200 grainer worked very nicely for the pistol cartridge silhouettes at 40 , 50 , 75 and 100 meters . Shot the big bore lever silhouettes using the 250 grainer , they did okay on the chickens and pigs but not so hot on the turkeys and rams . But that coulda been my lack of ability as much as anything else because lord knows the loads I was using were on the light side .

Sorry but thats about the extent of my use of the 45 Colt in both revolvers and rifles .

Attached Files

GBertolet posted this 07 September 2012

My experiences also with the 45 LC are with the Marlin Cowboy Limited rifle. I like the Lyman 452664, a 250 gr RNFP. This is a copy of the traditional 45 LC bullet. I have had good results with 9 gr Unique and with 7.5 gr of 231. Either of these two powders with just about any good bullet in the 250 gr weight range, tend to deliver satisfactory results. For traditional LC velocities I believe your bullet alloy is unnecessiarily hard. Sometimes softer is better, as the softer alloys tend to slug up and seal the often oversize cylinder throats when fired, curtailing the main cause of leading.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 07 September 2012

I use the .45 Colt in an M1909 DA revolver and an H&R CR45LC break-open Handi-Rifle. I use 6 grains of Bullseye with the Saeco #955 traditional cowboy bullet which weighs 260 grains in 1:40 tin/lead alloy. I load bullets as-cast and unsized, tumbled lightly in Lee Liquid Alox. Velocity is 770 fps in the Colt New Service and 1030 fps in the H&R carbine with 22' barrel. Low noise, low recoil, shooting the 100 yard gong with the sun over your back you can watch the bullets flying downrange.

Average iron sight groups are 5-6” at 50 yards from the New Service Colt and 12” at 100 yards. The H&R carbine using iron sights shoots 5-shot groups a little better than half the size that the big Colt does at the same range.

In the Ruger Vaquero you can safely increase the charge up to 7 grains of Bullseye, using wheelweight alloy, I see no advantage to doing so.  I find the .45 Colt performs best with mild smokeless loads of the fast burners, which approximate factory levels, using soft alloy of 8-10 BHN. More than 6.5 grains of Bullseye exceeds safe levels for my M1909 Colt, original or replica Colt SAAs, and goes supersonic in a rifle.

The resulting “crack~!” exceeds my desired noise level for rural country small town yard plinking. 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 07 September 2012

I use the .45 Colt cartridges in two revolvers. One is a Ruger Bisley Vaquero. The Lyman 452664 Cowboy bullet 30/1 works exceptionally well with a case full of black powder or equivalent (Goex, Swiss or Pyrodex P). I get groups under 2” at 25 yards. No leading. I can shoot about 70 shots before fouling starts to increase cylinder drag. Five minutes cleaning with a good black powder solvent and I am good for another 70 shots. The Bisley Vaquero also works well with the same bullet (WW's+2% tin) sized at .452” ahead of 8.5 grs of Unique. Accuracy is under 1” at 25 yards.

My Ruger SS Bisley Convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP with the Colt cylinder shoots well (under 1” at 25 yards) with the same 8.5 grs of Unique using an NOE 454424 250 gr Keith bullet sized .452". The .45 ACP cylinder and the H&G #68 (from a Mihec mould)sized at .452” ahead of 4.0 grs of Bullseye or equivalent also shoots as well. Another GREAT bullet for the .45 Colt is from a Mihec mould - a clone of the RCBS 45-270-SAA either hollow pointed or solid. In the large frame Ruger single action this bullet can be used with 8.5 grs of Unique (safe in modern SAA Colts as well) or loaded up to “Ruger only” levels for hunting purposes with a stiff charge of H110/296/or WC 820.

As a matter of interest, I regularly shoot plain base cast bullets in everything from .32 S&W Long/.32 H&R Mag,.38/.3457,.44 magnum (up to 1400 fps), 45 ACP/.45 Colt in both revolvers and 1911's with NO leading and excellent accuracy.

It's just a matter of proper operating practices. I haven't shot a jacketed bullet in my revolvers for years.

Dale53

Attached Files

shooter93 posted this 07 September 2012

I shoot 45 Colt in a pair of Colt SAA's more than any other pistol round, literally thousands of them. I shoot the keith 255 plain base with 8-8.5 grains of Unique and have never had a problems. My alloy is air cooled WW's ith 2% added tin.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 08 September 2012

Thanks for all the information everyone. Duane M. is going to hook me up with some plain base bullets to try out.The only reason that I restricted myself to gas checked bullets was the fear of leading. I'm going to try using a little softer alloy too as I'm using a Lyman #2 right now. BHN of about 15 . . . pretty hard. If I can shoot a softer PB bullet using the same charge of 8.0 grs. of Unique without leading I'll be a happy camper. Gas checks are getting real expensive and are about $38.00 per box. I was going to purchase a FreeChexIII and still might but right now I can buy two LEE PB molds for the price of one box of Hornaday Gas Checks.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 08 September 2012

Shooting the 255 grn pb Lee mold.  Air cooled WWs + 2-3% tin.  Lubed w/ 45/45/10.  Sized .452.  Haven't bothered to slug the bore. 

Shooting a Ruger BH 4 5/8” bbl.  Loads are running ~900-975 fps (no chrono).  No Leading.

Don't hold me to these loads, but think I am running one 1 w/ 9 grns unique, and also ~9 grns Power Pistol.  Also think I tried ~7-7.1 grns of HP-38?

If you want the specific loads I have used, let me know and I will look them up and get the exact loads.  All are shooting very well.  Getting as good or better accuracy than in the same gun in 44 SPC w/ Keith bullets.

Attached Files

LeverBob posted this 10 September 2012

Ed Harris wrote: I use the .45 Colt in an M1909 DA revolver and an H&R CR45LC break-open Handi-Rifle. I use 6 grains of Bullseye with the Saeco #955 traditional cowboy bullet which weighs 260 grains in 1:40 tin/lead alloy. I load bullets as-cast and unsized, tumbled lightly in Lee Liquid Alox. Velocity is 770 fps in the Colt New Service and 1030 fps in the H&R carbine with 22' barrel. Low noise, low recoil, shooting the 100 yard gong with the sun over your back you can watch the bullets flying downrange.

Average iron sight groups are 5-6” at 50 yards from the New Service Colt and 12” at 100 yards. The H&R carbine using iron sights shoots 5-shot groups a little better than half the size that the big Colt does at the same range.

In the Ruger Vaquero you can safely increase the charge up to 7 grains of Bullseye, using wheelweight alloy, I see no advantage to doing so.  I find the .45 Colt performs best with mild smokeless loads of the fast burners, which approximate factory levels, using soft alloy of 8-10 BHN. More than 6.5 grains of Bullseye exceeds safe levels for my M1909 Colt, original or replica Colt SAAs, and goes supersonic in a rifle.

The resulting “crack~!” exceeds my desired noise level for rural country small town yard plinking. 

Ed...I remember the beautiful old 1917 Convertable you wrote about in the '81 gun digest. Still have it?

Living out west, we need a load that will reach out to 100 yds. for deer, bear & elk. My midrange load is the Keith 454424 swc, 10.5 grs. Unique ( another fine article you wrote for the nra cast book) in my old ruger BH. I've backed off on all my loads as I grew older. Just didn't need all the advertised horsepower from my experience.

LB

Attached Files

LeverBob posted this 10 September 2012

Ed Harris wrote: I use the .45 Colt in an M1909 DA revolver and an H&R CR45LC break-open Handi-Rifle. I use 6 grains of Bullseye with the Saeco #955 traditional cowboy bullet which weighs 260 grains in 1:40 tin/lead alloy. I load bullets as-cast and unsized, tumbled lightly in Lee Liquid Alox. Velocity is 770 fps in the Colt New Service and 1030 fps in the H&R carbine with 22' barrel. Low noise, low recoil, shooting the 100 yard gong with the sun over your back you can watch the bullets flying downrange.

Ed...I remember the beautiful old 1917 Convertable you wrote about in the '81 gun digest. Still have it?

Living out west, we need a load that will reach out to 100 yds. for deer, bear & elk. My midrange load is the Keith 454424 swc, 10.5 grs. Unique ( another fine article you wrote for the nra cast book) in my old ruger BH. I've backed off on all my loads as I grew older. Just didn't need all the advertised horsepower from my experience.

LB

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 September 2012

Don't have the M1917 convertible anymore. I gifted to a co-worker when I was on the NRA tech staff, who has since retired and still has it.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 10 September 2012

The mailman came today and at my doorstep I found a really heavy package from Duane M. He sent me a variety of plain based bullets for my .45 Colt. And a lot of them! He casts a really nice bullet as all are nice & shiney with no frost & good fillout. I am in his debt. The generosity of people on this forum is unequaled. There is one that Duane sent me that I am really looking forward to playing with. It is a RCBS 45-250FN. It looks to be a really good candidate for my Forster hollowpoint attachment.

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 11 September 2012

That old article of Ed's was what prompted me to buy my first New Service. The one I shoot now, a 1920-vintage .45 Colt, is fed a diet of Lyman 454424 255gr soft (8-9bhn) bullets over either 6gr. B'eye or 7gr. Universal Clays.

My days of 'magnumizing' New Services are well behind me. I had one in .38/40 that I loaded to the max and with those loads was a real attention getter. Now, as long as the bullet makes it to the target, I'm good to go.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 11 September 2012

gnoahhh wrote: That old article of Ed's was what prompted me to buy my first New Service. The one I shoot now, a 1920-vintage .45 Colt, is fed a diet of Lyman 454424 255gr soft (8-9bhn) bullets over either 6gr. B'eye or 7gr. Universal Clays.

My days of 'magnumizing' New Services are well behind me. I had one in .38/40 that I loaded to the max and with those loads was a real attention getter. Now, as long as the bullet makes it to the target, I'm good to go. I'm with you on the “attention getters". I used to be the “Belted Mag” recoil junkie! Got rid of the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum & got a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt. Love that .45 Colt!!! I sure would like to get a Ruger .44 special . . . if I only had the coin. I've found that the .45 Colt will kill a big hog just as quick as the .44 mag. & maybe quicker. I've had about three different .357 mags. Nice gun but they are ear piercers! Had them in S/W mod. 19, 27 & 28. Don't really miss 'em. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • sudden thunder
oscarflytyer posted this 12 September 2012

If you get a chance at a Ruger 44 SPC - jump on it!  Love mine.  Parted w/ the 44 Mag SBH and a 357 mag for a pair of the Ruger BHs w/ 4 5/8” bbls - one in 44 SPC and one in 45 Colt/ACP.  I can't seem to get either of them to shoot bad with about any load/powder I use. 

240-256 gr LSWCs in both, although the 44 SPC will do ok with some 217 grn Lee RNFPs (no - not custom, and no not catalog'd!!! - but MY listed 200 grn mold drops at 217 grn!  Almost returned it, but turns out I kinda like it, so it has stayed!)

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 15 September 2012

Went to the range today . . . finally! I needed some empty .45 Colt brass so I could load up some of the plain base bullets that Duane sent me. I put 100 rounds through my Ruger & completly took out the centers of two targets at 15 yds. I've never shot it at 25 yards but will on the next trip. My 60 year old eyes are still working O.K.. As I had mentioned in another post, I'm not the recoil junkie that I used to be. 8.0 grs. of Unique behind a 255 gr. SWC is enough for me. I can shoot those comfortably for a long time. It was a beauiful day & a comfortable one too. Our range is never crowded (& no loose cannons!) and all good, respectful people. I see a lot of new members & a lot of fathers bringing their boys . . . and girls to shoot. When I can, I offer all the good information I can to the younger shooters. I really enjoy that.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 15 September 2012

oscarflytyer wrote: If you get a chance at a Ruger 44 SPC - jump on it!  Love mine.  Parted w/ the 44 Mag SBH and a 357 mag for a pair of the Ruger BHs w/ 4 5/8” bbls - one in 44 SPC and one in 45 Colt/ACP.  I can't seem to get either of them to shoot bad with about any load/powder I use. 

240-256 gr LSWCs in both, although the 44 SPC will do ok with some 217 grn Lee RNFPs (no - not custom, and no not catalog'd!!! - but MY listed 200 grn mold drops at 217 grn!  Almost returned it, but turns out I kinda like it, so it has stayed!) Yeah, I've had several Rugers over the years. Both in Blackhawk & Super Blackhawk & all shot extremely well no matter what I fed them! What a forgiving handgun they are!  I am looking hard for a .44 Special.

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 15 September 2012

Hello, Pigslayer. Last Thursday, I took a Colt .45 7 1/2” S.A.A. out for first time..this had been sitting NIB for 10 years! B.P. framed Colt by Turnbull. Gun first went out to Hamilton Bowen for action/trigger work..and to have a .44 Cyl. chambered to .45 long colt with .452” dia. throats fitted. Bowen also regulated sights. Shipped back to Turnbull for an early 1880's revolver with extra finish..Carbona blue, color-case, fire blue all pins, screws & trigger. Fancy Sambar stag grips. Gun was just too beautiful to shoot!..even though I did make up various test loads. Finally, I thought enough is enough..It was time! I decided that since I can no longer see open sights sharply..without a diopter on glasses..I use a Gehman adjustable clip on..it's like magic..when dialing that appature smaller..all at once the sights are clear and sharp just like the good o'l days! After blackining sights, I loaded up. First up was a mild start load using the Lyman 454190, over 5.0gr. Hodgdon Tightgroup.
Considering my eyes, sights & what I was shooting..I decided to try first at 15yds. Shooting was standing two hand hold. Taking my time, & resting between shots when needed..I got a group that was right on top of that thin knife edged front sight..that could be covered with a quarter! Now folks.. .that ain't supposed to happen that quick and easy! Using same bullet, in Starline .45 Schofield brass, with 4.5gr. Tightgroup...repeat of above! Increasing charge weights started to open groups..printed higher. Now if I had known it would have been this easy...and FUN..I wouldn't have waited so long! But the interesting part is..I was using a fairly soft alloy of pistol range scrap+50-50 solder. Fingernail could really tage a gouge out. But there was absolutly no leading anywhere..maybe it was worth getting that cyl. fitted with smaller throats?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • sudden thunder
Pigslayer posted this 16 September 2012

.22-10-45, Sounds like you had a good day! Good shooting at that. There is no way that I could have left that revolver in the box that long. I have found that the .45 Colt is an absolutely glorious & addicting handgun.

Pat

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 09 October 2012

Last Thursday, I took the Colt .45 out for it's 2nd. range day. Mostly verification loads from 1st. outing. Main difference was 1st. outing bullets were moly-coated with NECO impact tumbling process..I decided not to use this product on handgun bullets in future..not needed & might make them too slick..fear of lessening barrel time & shooting high with fixed sights..so these Lyman 454190's were uncoated. Lube was differen't also..1st outing I used commercial Micro lube..this time I pan lubed with my #5A1..a fairly soft mix of Beeswax, Anhyd. Lanolin, & Castor oil.
The start load of 5.0gr. Tightgroup again prooved most accurate..ragged hole to sights...increasing charge opened group & higher p.o.i. The Starline Schofield brass also proved most accurate with start load of 4.5gr. Tightgroup..again just 1 ragged hole. Then I tried a new powder..IMR TrailBoss. 5.5gr. gave same accuracy as T.G. to sights...Schofield brass liked 4.8gr. for same accuracy. all in all, I fired 70 shots that day. Clean up was easy..just very slight streak leading in a couple of chambers and on edge of rifling in forcing cone..easily removed with a few passes of bronze brush. Carbon in the cyl. was the worst part..cleaned up ok with Bore-Tech Carbon Remover. Never noticed any greasyness or buildup on frame from softer lube. I have found for light target loads in revolvers...and smokeless loads in rifles for that matter a softer lube is often more accurate than a harder commercial lube.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 09 October 2012

.22-10-45 wrote: Last Thursday, I took the Colt .45 out for it's 2nd. range day. Mostly verification loads from 1st. outing. Main difference was 1st. outing bullets were moly-coated with NECO impact tumbling process..I decided not to use this product on handgun bullets in future..not needed & might make them too slick..fear of lessening barrel time & shooting high with fixed sights..so these Lyman 454190's were uncoated. Lube was differen't also..1st outing I used commercial Micro lube..this time I pan lubed with my #5A1..a fairly soft mix of Beeswax, Anhyd. Lanolin, & Castor oil. The start load of 5.0gr. Tightgroup again prooved most accurate..ragged hole to sights...increasing charge opened group & higher p.o.i. The Starline Schofield brass also proved most accurate with start load of 4.5gr. Tightgroup..again just 1 ragged hole. Then I tried a new powder..IMR TrailBoss. 5.5gr. gave same accuracy as T.G. to sights...Schofield brass liked 4.8gr. for same accuracy. all in all, I fired 70 shots that day. Clean up was easy..just very slight streak leading in a couple of chambers and on edge of rifling in forcing cone..easily removed with a few passes of bronze brush. Carbon in the cyl. was the worst part..cleaned up ok with Bore-Tech Carbon Remover. Never noticed any greasyness or buildup on frame from softer lube. I have found for light target loads in revolvers...and smokeless loads in rifles for that matter a softer lube is often more accurate than a harder commercial lube. I have one of my lubrisizers for .45 Colt only. Been using SPG lube for the last 500 rounds. It works well. I have some homemade lube that I have had excellent results with and as soon as the SPG is gone I will use my homemade lube. But, if one is not into making their own lube, I find SPG to work extremely well for subsonic velocities.

Pat

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close