Recipes for 40 cal S&W

• 8.6K Views
  • Last Post 01 October 2013
Lesmeister posted this 25 August 2012

Need info

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
offhand35 posted this 10 October 2012

Hmmm.....we need more info from you to help....I load a lot for 40S&W. You may already have noticed that the online manuals for the various powder mfr's only show loads for jacketed bullets for the most part. The downloadable .pdf manual from Accurate has a number of cast bullet loads for the powders they offer that are most suitable for 40 cal, those being No.2, No.5, and No. 7. I have had a lot of success using No. 2. for 40S&W in general, and have been working up a load for cast RCBS 180 SWC's with a Blue Dot load found in Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual. The Accurate manual and the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual will offer the best choices for cast bullet loads in this caliber.

Attached Files

smifffphe posted this 28 November 2012

I agree its tough, i use unique powder with mine and i wish i could find a different powder recipe because i dont like the puff of black smoke with each shot. Any ideas?

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 28 November 2012

Pardon me please.

A quality reloading guide, will furnish data needed to insure safe manufacture of ammunition. Get at least one. Considering the investment at this point, cost for such a book is a very low percentage expenditure. Deviation from this practice is where negative statistics come from. Experienced bulleteers will be hesitant to spew loading recipes for vague descriptions of firearm and circumstance. Information in this category is not linear in application. There is a large gap between able and capable.    

Please excuse my bluntness and accept my sincere apology for any unintended disrespect.

smifffphe;  Bullseye, Bule dot, Red dot, WW231, AA 2 &5, Hogdon clays. A quality reloading guide, will furnish data needed to find the optimum load for your pistol and requirement parameters.                                                                                                               Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

No disrespect taken. I already have guides but they are not for cast boolits and the wieghts are almost always different. My. 401 truncated mold throws a 83gr after resizing. If you know of a recipe that would work with a cleaner burning powder i would. E greatly interested. Thanks Roy

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 28 November 2012

smifffphe wrote: My. 401 truncated mold throws a 83gr after resizing. If you know of a recipe that would work with a cleaner burning powder i would. E greatly interested. Who makes a mold that light, and any chance we can get a few pictures of this bullet?

Attached Files

I meant a 183gr. Oops i guess i should look before i send. Lol

Attached Files

rsrocket1 posted this 29 November 2012

For the Lee 401-175TC (mine drops 180g), I tumble lube with 45/45/10, seated to 1.135” and use anywhere from:

2.8 - 3.5g Red Dot 2.5 - 3.5g Clays 2.5 - 3.5g Titewad, yes Titewad, not Titegroup 4.0 - 5.0g Bullseye 4.5 - 6.5g Unique 6.0 - 7.0g Power Pistol

Red Dot, Clays, Titewad are for low recoil rounds which build up pressure to seal bore and case. Don't expect more than about 800 fps with these powders.

Unique/Bullseye are good mid range loads (used 5 pounds of Bullseye on this cartridge). They will get you to 1000 fps

Power Pistol is for fairly high power loads with lots of flash and muzzle blast. 1100 easily, you can probably reach 1200 fps safely, but I don't bother because I just don't need that velocity and recoil.

All MV's were chrony'ed at ~10 feet with a 4.25” M&P40.

For less smoke than Unique/Bullseye, try Hodgdon Universal, but it may be your bullet lube and not the powder.

Attached Files

smifffphe posted this 29 November 2012

Good ideas, i will look them up also, thanks. A fello reloader told me Accurate powder is a good clean powder also. Any feedback on this?

Attached Files

smifffphe posted this 29 November 2012

Not sure if your asking for more info or if i want more info? I would like info on this topic

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 29 November 2012

Good morning

For plinking, much of the information furnished by rsrocket1 is very similar to my recorded data. The spectrum of propellants tested differs slightly though. A Para ordinance was the test platform for me, along with my preference for Alliant powders. Other pistols of mine would consume those loads smoothly.

My para is tuned to cycle loads which make IPSC major power factor. Alliant Promo is my favorite for both 180gr round nose flat point and 200gr truncated cone. Using 4.2gr of Promo with the 180gr, average velocity is 952fps. Alloy used is slightly softer than Lyman #2, I tend to cast hot and produce slugs weighing 189gr after lube/size. I agree with the lube observation.

In reference to offhand35 working up Blue dot loads; While it was easy to come up with accurate, functional cartridges, I experienced a much more elevated heating of the pistol through an IPSC course of fire. Have you noticed this in your loads? The opportunity for comparison of cold versus hot results slipped by me as I was ignorant and unprepared.

Oregon Trail bullet company produces a reloading manual exclusively for cast projectiles. Several shooters in my particular circle use and swear by their bullets.

http://www.laser-cast.com>http://www.laser-cast.com       1-800-811-0548    They have nothing for me, but others may find resource.

Roy  

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

offhand35 posted this 29 November 2012

gunarea, you're right, the Blue Dot loads tend to be a little hot and you do have to be careful using it in handgun loads. Notice in the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual 4th ed. that start and max loads for the RCBS 40-180-FN that I am using are only 0.8gr apart, and pressures skyrocket from 18,200 to 22,800! The start load levels shoot well. BTW, I am using those mostly in a 40S&W Vaquero, though they do shoot well in my S&W 4006.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 November 2012

my son in law uses hp38 in his 40s&w .. must work ok. 150 gr cast & 5 to 8 grains hp38. ken

Attached Files

raytear posted this 01 December 2012

When I first got my .40 S&W I chronographed some 180 grn RNFP factory ammo. I don't remember the numbers at the moment. I wanted to duplicate that velocity with a 180 grn hard cast bullet.  For my gun that came out to 5.1grn. of Unique.

I used the data from Lyman's then current manual. That would have been about 1990.  I have stuck with that load for practice and have had excellent results. Unique is not as clean burning as some other powders, granted, but it is reliable, consistent and versatile enough that I use it in a lot of other cartridges, too.

My dove load for shotgunning uses Unique and 1-1/8 OZ of #9 shot.  Gives me a 1-3/4 drm eqv/ 1-1/8 oz target load that my smooth-bore REALLY likes.  Loaded in Double A hulls it is also a load which is pricey to purchase ready made---if you can even find it with #9 shot.  That amount of #9 shot is not so much a pattern as a cloud. Pretty easy on the shoulder, too, since is it only going about 1050-1100 fps.

:hunt: Doves aren't hard to kill; they are just hard to hit! 

Good shooting! RT

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 01 December 2012

With the Lee 40-175-TC I like 7.8gr AA#7. The Accurate website shows 7.4-8.2gr with a Lead 185gr bullet. I'd have to look at my notes, but I think I was getting 950fps from my SW40GVE. The load is extremely accurate and clean.

Attached Files

smifffphe posted this 11 December 2012

I already have the number 7 powder. Whats the link to the recipe? Or could you tell me the one you use?

Attached Files

smifffphe posted this 11 December 2012

I use Unique at 5.2 grn. And i agree, its not a clean burn at all. Thats why i. Want to switch

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 12 December 2012

Just scroll down the page to 40 S&W. It's in the lead bullets section. http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurateloaddata3.5.pdf

Attached Files

smifffphe posted this 16 December 2012

Not to be rude either. I already have a good up to date manual hardback and several others in electronic format. What they dont really tell you is which one burns the cleanest and the one with the least puff of smoke and on top of it all especially about using cast bullets in the equation. I felt the best method of gaining this information is asking the ones who do what i do and cast thier own. Thanks for the info and any more full recipes with a clean burning powder would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!

Attached Files

smifffphe posted this 16 December 2012

RSROCKET1

Thanks for the great info. Which one is the cleanest. From what my shooter friends say the really like Bullseye. What do you think?

Attached Files

JRR posted this 01 October 2013

I shoot 40 S&W in a CZ75BSA. The RCBS 180gr. flat point works great. I inside size my cases with a die from a 38-40; .399” for a .401 boolit. OAL that works in my CZ is 1.140". Charge is 5.8 gr. of Herco for approx. 950 fps. Smoke has more to do with the lube. Jeff

Attached Files

Close