Ruger #1's and Black Powder Has anyone?

• 6.5K Views
  • Last Post 19 January 2008
Daryl S posted this 20 January 2007

Has anyone with a .375H&H ever tried black powder in it? I'd thing that case should work well with any of the heavy cast bullets and a case full of 2F. It may be possible to use 80gr. or thereabouts, making a good black powder deer and black bear load, especially with the 300gr. plus bullets, pure lead and paper patched or grooved and  lubed.

: I know Paul Mathews used black powder in his .458 Win.Mag Ruger#1, but don't recall him mentioning trying it in the .375.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Daryl S posted this 25 January 2007

well, so much fer dat.

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 29 January 2007

Daryl

I have no experiance with a 375 H&H at all but like you have often thought it and other modern cartridges such as the 35 Whelen would be excellent BP cartridges mostly due to the expense of getting a classic BP rifle. Steve Garbe played around a lot with 38 calibers to try to see if he could have a lower recoiling combination for BP steel targets to 500 yards. I do not believe that he had much success. Whether he played with 80 grains of powder I do not know, but you could check with his publications and whatever his SPG lubrication page. I have a preference for bores larger than 30 caliber and for heavier bullets for most any big game hunting.

Mnshooter

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 30 January 2007

The .375 H&H should work fine with black powder, although I have never tried it.

I used to shoot alot of black in my .458 Winchester Ruger No. 1, with #457193,  110grs. of 2F and the same Ox Yoke originals wads I used in my Ruger Old Army. It was alot of fun. In the .375 I'd use a ten inch drop tube to cram in all of the powder you can get, and use one of the Ox Yoke Originals wads intended for .36 cal. cap & ball revolvers under the bullet. The #375449 cast of 1:40 should weigh about 280 grains and about 80-85 grs. of 2F or RS Pyrodex should give you about 1400 f.p.s., about like the old .38-72 in the Winchester 1895.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Daryl S posted this 31 January 2007

Thanks for the responce, guys. I guess seeing the original add form Winchester about the .32 Spl. and it's 'design' parameters for black powder re-loading by shooters, made me think of the long slim .375 as being a worthwhile vehicle for tests. It's capacity should help to put it above the .38/72, if by a small margin.

:  Some 35 year ago, I started shooting 3 position competition with a BRNO .375 and the Lyman 264gr. cast bullet and 7625 powder. At about 1,350fps, it was a marvelously accurate load and with the little pop-up peep sight, I was able to hold around 1-1/2” to 2” prone with Ansheutz sling.

:  I figured slightly higher ballistics with black when I presented the original question above. Black Mag 3, which I have a  few pounds of still, will probably raise those velocities to around 1,500fps. It gives higher than black velocoties in the m71 Mauser, which I need to do more testing with this coming shooting season. Right now, it's a bit chilly for shooting & I'm still building my new shop (new house).

:  Ed, I'm with you on the .458's ability to please with a wide variety of powders. In the .50 Alaskan Rolling Block that I put together, the OxYoke wads took me from 2” to 2-1/2” down to 1-1/2” at both 100 and 200 yards.  They were instrumental in clean shooting with SPG, Lyman BP lube and beeswax/Vaseline, shooting cleanly enough for 10 shots strings without having to wipe or blow through the bore. With paper patched, of course, a lube ball was required and the OxYoke wad seemed not to help. I should never have traded that rolling block away. Now I have to shoot against the new owner at Rendezvous.

Attached Files

rayb posted this 23 May 2007

Not quite the same, .375 Winchester in a Ruger #3 years ago.

It was a fiasco.

I think i did everything wrong; used sized wheel weight bullets, regular smokeless lube, RS grade Pyrodex.  Didn't even get good patterns..

Back to the drawing board....

Hope your trial works better...

rayb

your results may vary

Cumplo pero no obedezco

Attached Files

jkingrph posted this 02 October 2007

Tried cast bullets in my Ruger #1 458. One of the Lyman Postell type, but shorter with a gas check. Darn thing keyholed at 25 yards, but was still close enough to give a fairly good grouping. I hate to think what it would have done at long range. Same bullet out of my Browning BPCR does well.

Attached Files

Kodyak posted this 23 November 2007

Last June @ the “Quigley” match in Montana, there were 2 or 3 #1s in use. Even the NRA president used one, but none were satisfactory at the longer distances, 600-780+ yards. I didnot know the calibers used.

Attached Files

Bad Ass Wallace posted this 31 December 2007

My Ruger No.1 in 45/120 shoots well with black, as does my 38/55 on the same action. Remember to use a soft lube and don't size the projectile. I've shot a lot of 300gn bullets with smokeless but just have too many other BP rifles to try in the 375!:shock:

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 05 January 2008

I was curious about the 375 HH and blackpowder myself. I used the lyman gas check bullet that most people use. I put on the gas check, filled the case to the bullet base without compressing or using a drop tube with triple F. I used a winchester lg. rifle primer. The alloy was a wheel weight lead blend. I only made about six rounds but they shot into about two inches at 50 yds. The first three or so chambered easily. Next time I'd duplex the mess away and use the right alloy. I only gave it up because the 45-70 keeps me busy enough. I've been told that bottle neck cases are a little differant with black powder. As in liking fast powders, no compression, and pistol primers. Who knows?

Sorry, the rifle was a Browning A-bolt.

Attached Files

DonH posted this 06 January 2008

Kodyak wrote: Last June @ the “Quigley” match in Montana, there were 2 or 3 #1s in use. Even the NRA president used one, but none were satisfactory at the longer distances, 600-780+ yards. I didnot know the calibers used.

The Ruger factory barrels don't have a fast enough twist to atabilize bullets adequately at long range, at least by modern standards. Ruger uses, i believe, 20” or 22” twists in thier .45-70 barrels. .458s are of course faster. BPCR shooters are using mostly 1-18” twist barrels in .45 cal for shooting longer distances and some even use 1-16".

I have been shooting BPCR for a number of years now. One of the most common mistakes newcomers to the sport make is to try to treat BP caftridge loading the same as they do other cast bullet loading: that is hard, antimony alloy bullets, crimps,etc. Many refuse to take advice from experienced BPC shooters, stubbornly clinging to long-held practices from smokeless CB loading then give up in disgust when they don't get the desired results. BPCR loading IS a different game and must be given due respect if success is to be had.

I will admit to predjudice but I must champion real black powder for this purpose. Some of the substitutes can be made to work obviously, but fine performance can and is had with the real thing. Mostly you will find the road is already mapped out for BP. Clean-up after shooting BP in cartridge rifles, while NECESSARY, is an over-rated problem. Give Ol' stinky a try! 

Attached Files

rk4570 posted this 19 January 2008

If you are looking foe a larger 38 black powder try the 38-50 Rem-Hep. It is made from the 30-40 kraig case. I have one on the Wesson action & a 32” Green Mountain 1 in 12 twist. It shoots a 365gr. (20 to 1 alloy) bullet at 1350fps with Swiss 1/12.

I think it would work well on the #1 action,

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 19 January 2008

Where does a person find a 38-50 raemer. I'm thinking this cartridge would be fun in an Enfield.

Attached Files

rk4570 posted this 19 January 2008

Glen Fewless did the smith work on my rifle & I think you could find him on the ASSRA forum.He also lives in WI. Another would be Mike Lewis in Colorado.

If you talk with Glen tell him hello from Richard K.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 19 January 2008

Thanks

Attached Files

Close