.32 win spec

• 2.1K Views
  • Last Post 12 August 2011
salvadore posted this 19 January 2011

Has anyone tried this particular bullet?  I have it and a 94 Winchester to try it in.  Any suggestions?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 19 January 2011

No, I don't, but I wish I did. I've read a lot of good stuff about that combo with cbs and expect to have one on loan soon to play with. Try the search button, also take a look at The Fouling Shot index.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 24 January 2011

Any of the plainbased, flatnosed bullets for the .32-40 Winchester should work fine. In the .32 Win. Special you would size to .321-.322 In the .30-30 I use 13 grs. of #2400 with 170-grain plainbase, and 16 grs. with a GC bullet. You could also use 16-18 grs. of 4227 or 18-22 grs. of RL-7. Use .30-30 data for same weight bullet and you will not get into any trouble.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

salvadore posted this 24 January 2011

Thank you Mr. Harris, I have been using 30/30 data as the same as .32 spec. The Lee bullet I'm using is sized to .323 because that is the only sizer I have. My bullet is into the lands but ejects without leaving the bullet in the chamber. Loaded five with 4198 but have not shot anything due to lotsa snow wind and fog. I believe I have read your stuff since back in the eighties when I use to get the fouling shot. Is that possible? Thanks for your input.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 24 January 2011

I'm borrowing an old Win 94 in .32 Sp. from my BIL. I have a mold that should work good, the Ranch Dog version. I'd like to avoid buying loading dies if possible, is there some combination of other dies that would get me through a couple boxes? I'll probably have to start with a bag of new brass. I have 8mm Mauser stuff, including Lee loaders, Also a lot of .31 cal stuff. and a .323 Lee push thru. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and see if Lee's Really Good Buy dies come in .32 Sp.   EDIT: Found an old Lyman Ideal .32 WS sizer die, the kind you knock the case in with a mallet. I have a box of misc. 310 tool dies from yard sales and such, most aren't identified yet. So now I can deprime, size, and prime. All I need is to seat the bullet.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 24 January 2011

You should be able to seat the bullet in the 8MM mauser seating die? Ric

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 24 January 2011

I'll try it and report back.   EDIT: OK, I'm a little slow. It dawned on me I can make .32 WS brass from 30-30, I have a lot of that. The cost of this project is looking good. I'll try lubing the necks real good and run in an 8mm expander, see how that works. Then knock them into the Ideal sizer die. BIL says come get the gun anytime. He's a good BIL. I'm guessing these old Winnies are drilled and tapped for a reciever sight. Got a Williams on my 30-30 I can transfer. 200 yd rams here we come.

Attached Files

Johnny Breedlove posted this 16 February 2011

I have that same mold, and I had to size the nose down to .310 to get it to work in my 94 32 Special. I shoot in our local cowboy shoots and it shoots great out to 200 yds. I really need to put it on paper to see what it is really doing.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 16 February 2011

I shot the .32 M94 today. Loads were made from fireformed 30-30 and cobbled together without actual .32 WS dies. A light charge of Unique and the Ranch Dog bullet shot decent enough at 50 yds. About 3-4” group. I found out the old 94 is not DT'd for a receiver sight so was using the factory buckhorns. All things considered I think I'll stick with my 30-30.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 17 February 2011

I used the Ranch Dog bullet in several Marlin 32 Specials and one Winchester 94 . Sized at .323” with aircooled WW's and lubed with Thompson's Blue Angel . I charged them with 21 or 22 grains of XMP5744 . In three Marlin's and the Winchester this was good enough for lever action silhouette .

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 24 June 2011

I have a real pristine winny 94 32 spec.pre 64.If I recall correctly 100yd groups were around 2-3” with the RCBS 170 gr flatpoint GC it surprised me and that was the first load I cobbled up forgot which powder.Got that mold from Midway. The rifle came from Maine had carry wear but sharp perfect bore and an old Redfield reciever sight.Old lever guns surprise me when I feed them right. Frank C.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 11 August 2011

I am a big fan of the 32 W.S. Thus far it has been the RCBS 170 FNGC for me. I have a new mold from Night Owl Enterprises for a scaled up version of 311407 which should do go in the 32 W.S, as well as the 8mm.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 12 August 2011

Chargar wrote: I am a big fan of the 32 W.S. Thus far it has been the RCBS 170 FNGC for me.  

The RCBS 32-170GC , the Ranch Dog 323-170GC and the Lyman 321297 all worked well for me in the 32 Specials I had .

Might add the RCBS bullet and the RD bullet as did nicely for me in a Marlin 1893 in 32-40 I had ! Never tried the 321297 in it though !

Attached Files

Close