Freedom Arms 327 Fed.

• 3.3K Views
  • Last Post 09 November 2016
reo444 posted this 04 July 2010

I have on order a Freedom Arms Mod.97 in 327 Fed. with a 7 1/2 inch barrel and all three cylinders;.32H&Rmag., 32-20,and 327 Fed.

Please help me to realize all the different ways i can use this revolver.

Thank you,
                          Richard

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 04 July 2010

Richard,

My thoughts are:

32 H&R for full wadcutters seated deep and minimum loads of Bullseye for 50 yard and less target and plinking.

32/20 for cast 115/120 grain gas checked loads at 1200 f/s and 28,000 psi for small game hunting and 100 yard work.

327 Fed's only advantage over the 32/20 is the brass is made for high pressure and you could shoot the 85 grain jacketed stuff really fast for coyotes and varmints.

Let us know how it works out for you. I think the FA 32 H&R with a 32/20 cylinder is an “Ideal” small bore outdoorsman's revolver.

Ric

Attached Files

Ric, Thank you for such a quick and concise reply.

I was thinking of everything from .32 ACP to the afore mentioned 85 grain jacketed bullet. You've covered all the baseswith just three cartridges.More time for shoot'in, less time for load development. I LIKE THAT! I typicaly overthink things.

Attached Files

I forgot to add that i like to mess with blackpowder, so i'll probably use the 32-20 cylinder primarily for that.

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 04 July 2010

I look forward to reading about your shooting. With the close tolerance of the Freedom revolver the black powder shooting should be interesting. I predict with heavily compressed loads it will burn clean enough to shoot steadily. With just case filling loads I predict it will foul quickly.

We are trying to get the chronograph set up this afternoon but the little rain storms are making us duck for cover. We have a Ruger Blackhawk and GP100 in 327.

We are shooting heavy bullets, 122- and 125- grain NEI's in the heavy frame 327's.

How long do you suppose your cylinder will be?

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=5897&forum_id=49>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=5897&forumid=49

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=5859&forumid=4

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=1662&forumid=4&page=1

Slim

Attached Files

slim,

It will be awhile before posting any results,I'm about 6 to 8 weeks until delivery. I don't know about cylinder length, if I find any thing, I'll post it. The mod. 97 is also chambered .41 mag. and .45 Colt if that helps.

I agree with you about black powder and compression and tolerances. Richard

Attached Files

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=5892&forum_id=8&highlight=ruger+327>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=5892&forumid=8&highlight=ruger+327

Here is the loading thread I was looking for.

With your strong gun you should also be able to load the heavy weight bullets to high velocity, 1200 fps + for the 125-grain and heavier bullets.

The 115-grain bullets are pretty well all around bullet weights for the 32 Magnum and the 327.

Slim

Attached Files

Slim. Thank you for the threads. I have read them and am interested in heavy for caliber cast boolits. Also bunny loads. I want to explore the whole spectrum of .32 cal. possibilities.

I don't expect to contribute much to these discussions as I am only an amateur reloader, having basic knowledge and equipment as yet. I will do what I can to contribute, but don't expect much besides enthusiasm. Richard

Attached Files

You will fit right in, we are all stumbling along in dim light.

One more link I can think of at the moment. On the second page is a picture of the heavy bullets and a drawing from the NEI web site.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=47667>http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=47667

You will find a lot of interest in your handgun. I have three 327's and no one has asked anything about them. I have seen several threads on the campfire asking if anyone has a Freedom Arms 327. There is a lot of interest in this revolver and this cartridge.

I am particularly interested in how much your handgun weighs and the length of the cylinder, along with throat dimensions. I believe Gunblasts did a review on your handgun.

Slim

Attached Files

reo444 posted this 05 July 2010

Slim According to the Gunblast review “The cylinder length of the Model 97 .327 Federal Magnum measures 1.628, and the cartridge case heads are recessed into the cylinder, allowing the use of cartridges loaded to just under the total cylinder length"

According to Freedom Arms website, the weight of the gun is 44 oz., the rate of twist is 1-14” and the intended bullet size is 0.312".

I could find nothing on throat dimensions, but given F.A.'s reputation for excellence and precision, it is likely that they are correct for the forcing cone and bore.

Pertaining to the O.P, I wonder if there is any advantage to buying the brass for .32 A.C.P., .32 S&W, and .32 S&W long, as opposed to downloading the .32 H&R for all the bunny loads. I'm aware of the carbon ring aggravation and F.A's policy on that, but it's not that I'm going to fire hundreds of these loads at a time.It seems a brass brush could handle that chore between loads on a daily basis. Or i could shoot from the longer loads to the shorter and clean the gun at the end of the day.

On the upside for me, I could use the bunny loads directly, with out trying to figure how to get the same velocity from the longer H&R MAG. case. Also instant visual recognition of the loads.

What do you guys think?

Richard

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 05 July 2010

My longest loads are the NEI #76 at 1.600”. I would use the 32 H&R brass for my light loads and simply change the bullet. Using a round nose bullet for all light loads would make them instantly recognizable. I would say the Freedom Arms dimensions will be right.

I got to shoot the 327's this morning. I believe that Hodgdon Lil' Gun is going to be the go to powder for the heavy bullets.

The NEI #82, 122-grain gas check bullet weighs an average of 130-grains as cast and 133.4 grains lubed and checked.

The NEI #76, 125-grain gas check bullet weighs an average of 138-grains as cast and 143.0 grains lubed and checked.

These are heavy bullets for the .32 caliber handguns and they penetrate a surprising amount of dry paper. I loaded all of the loads tested with Federal 327 brass using Federal 200 primers. Not the primers I would normally use but I am out of all other small pistol primers.

The #83 bullet ahead of 11.2 grains of Hodgdon Lil' Gun chronographed:

1,164 fps from the 4” Ruger GP 141.

The same load chronographed 1,231 fps from the 5 ½” Ruger Blackhawk.

The #76 bullet ahead of 11.2 grains of Hodgdon Lil' Gun chronographed:

1,166 fps  from the 4” Ruger GP 141.

The same load chronographed 1,287 fps from the 5 ½” Ruger Blackhawk.

The Lyman 311008 115-grain bullet ahead of the 11.2 grain load of Hodgdon Lil' Gun chronographed:

1,223 fps from the 4” Ruger GP 141.

1,240 fps from the 5 ½” Ruger Blackhawk.

All of the above loads displayed excellent accuracy for me with most of the bullets landing within a 6” circle at 20-yards ”€œ pretty good for me while chronographing. I have never adjusted the sights on these handguns and these loads strike the paper just under the top of the front sight at this distance.

I was also shooting the same bullets with 10.3 grains of Alliant 2400. While these loads gave good accuracy and the empties fell out of the chambers when started by the extractor have the impression they are maximum loads. All of the 2400 loads were 1,300 fps and faster. I'll reserve 2400 for lighter weight bullets.

Slim

Attached Files

rhouser posted this 18 August 2010

I am shooting the 113 grain Gas Check performance cast at 1460 using enforcer with my black hawk. Still haven't reached max (but using the whole cylinder to set my COL). The factory 100 grain american eagle is still the best grouping 60 yard bullet. Does an honest 2 inch group at 60 off a rest.

Been out dealing with some surgury on a tumor that turned out NOT to be cancer. Just old guy stuff.

Now I want to build a single shot Bunny Gun (ala Mr Ed Harris) based on the .327 Fed Casing.

BTW: I was able to receive 1000 rounds of brass from Freedom Arms by phone order at a very reasonable price. I would LOVE to own one of their pistols, but, for now my Black Hawk is it. Big Heavy and Fun. rc

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 20 August 2010

Rhouser, well, you got me to thinking about AA No. 9. I do not use many AA powders, primarily limit myself to AA No. 2, of which I am a big fan for reduced rifle loads.

Re0444 and his Freedom Arms gun got me to thinking more about AA No. 9. I have not been to town for a while so we when I found myself headed there today I decided to pick up some No. 9. I have been shooting the big NEI bullets at a COAL of 1.600” and pushing them pretty fast using Hodgdon Lil' Gun and H110. I will run some No. 9 loads across the chronograph and post a comparison.

I finally was able to buy some of the 115 grain Speer Gold Dots to compare with cast bullets. We are supposed to cool off into the upper 90's this week so I will try to drag the chronograph out.

If we don't see some brass soon I'll have to call Freedom arms. The short supply of brass is holding up my shooting. I will say the 327 Federal brass is tough; you don't loose cases to expanded primer pockets, even with some stout loads.

Slim

Attached Files

rhouser posted this 16 September 2010

I wondered about LIL Gun. I need to go back to the chrono with the enforcer and pick up where I left off with the 113 GC's. I want to see where the gun says max is. Still have room for 2 full grains above max. NO pressure signs at max and RAMSHOT says max is based on COL for the sp101 and other pocket guns, not PSI.
We talked about 2000 fps if there was enough barrel to burn the powder (not my 5 1/2” Ruger). I sure would like a FA with about a 10” barrel, but, not in the cards.
thanks rc

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 16 September 2010

I bought some A.A. No. 9 to shoot similar loads with you.

I have just about finished digging trenches and hope to get to some shooting. We have been shooting 22's in the evenings.

Did you see the post under cast bullets on the grey beard site? I was linked to it by a friend. there are several 327 shooters there and one had Veral Smith cut a speacial mold for him. It is a good looeker and he posted a few pictures of the bullet but not enough dimensional data.

CBA has an LBT group buy in progress and it would be a good buy. Take a look and tell me what you think. I posted on the thread hoping to get a few more measurements of the bullet but no luck. I dont know anyone on the site to ask specific questions.

I dont know about you but I have not lost a case. With the 32 H&R Magnum when you begin to explore the upper limits the primer pockets loosen quickly. The 327 is the case we needed because my primers seat tight in the case. All of my cases have been loaded more than twenty times - but not every load pushed the upper limit.

Slim

Attached Files

mugs posted this 16 September 2010

Richard Based on FA strength and case capacity you will probably get top performance from the 32-20. With the FA you will be limited in bullet weight by cylinder length. Silhouette shooters are using bullets as heavy as 200 grns. in the 32-20 TC's. AA-9 is the powder for heavy bullets. I use a 30 carbine which is real close to the 32-20 and the 327. 170 grn. bullets at 1500 fps. from a 10” TC with AA#9. Check with FA, they are not to happy with Lil Gun in the larger calibers. Mugs IHMSA 5940L

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 18 September 2010

RC,

Have you had an opportunity to look at the bullet in this thread yet? I have posted a question to veral Smith asking how long the bullet is and how deep it would set if cut for a gas check. http://www.go2gbo.coms/index.php/topic,204774.0.html>http://www.go2gbo.coms/index.php/topic,204774.0.html

Slim

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 08 January 2011

Are you getting any closer to delivery?

I broke down yesterday and called Freedom Arms and ordered 200 .327 cases to supplement the 100+ cases I have now.

Slim

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 09 November 2016

reo444 wrote: I have on order a Freedom Arms Mod.97 in 327 Fed. with a 7 1/2 inch barrel and all three cylinders;.32H&Rmag., 32-20,and 327 Fed.

Please help me to realize all the different ways i can use this revolver.

Thank you, Richard I think you can't (or at least shouldn't) use it to hunt deer, but for any other handgun sport outside of IPSC, it should just plain rock.  Freedom is famous for tight tolerances and great accuracy. 

The only possible disappointment may be that the 3 different cartridges are actually so similar to each other, or can be in handloads, that they may be more alike than different.

I do have a Colt Bisley in 32-20, 7.5” bbl, and it's a blast to shoot. 

Attached Files

Close