S&W 624 44 special 6.5" bbl

• 3.9K Views
  • Last Post 07 January 2012
fRANK46 posted this 28 June 2010

Recently bought this at a local gun show. Anib box serial numbered to revolver, cleaning kit still in sealed plastic baggie with origional paperwork. Looking for a gas checked bullet about 250 grains to shoot with. This is the first revolver like this I have bought in along time. Wasn't even looking for a revolver at the time. Saw it on the way out the door. Asked the dealer thats in 44 special? yes it is said he. From there on out it was downhill. So if anyone has any load reccomendations for this revolver Would you please share it?. Thanks, Frank

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JetMech posted this 28 June 2010

I'm shooting Mihec's new H&G #503 (.44 Keith Style) with 7 gr Unique. This is a plain base design produced by a gentleman who makes group-buy molds. It's vey accurate in my RBH. I think you'll find that GC bullets are unnecessary in the 44 Special. A PB bullet, properly fitting the throats, will shoot well at any velocity you choose in this fine caliber.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 28 June 2010

My 624 likes 6.2 grains of SR7625 with the Lyman 429421. Not a fast load, but stacks them at 25 yards. Ric

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 28 June 2010

I have both a 6½” and a 4” 624. I bought them when they were first available. Being an old Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton fan, I HAD to have them. Two of the best ideas I ever fulfilled.

I mostly use the so-called “Skeeter Load” - an H&G #503 clone from a MiHec mould or his Cramer Style Hollow point version of the same bullet ahead of 7.5 grs of Unique.

This load shoots well in all of my .44 Specials. I have not taken any deer with these (that has happened with my .44 Magnums) but I have taken a goodly number of small game with them. Many would think that is overkill but using the solid bullet and shooting a rabbit (cottontail AND snowshoe rabbits) through the “slats” (rib cage) or head shot if they are close does NOT require a second shot and no meat is damaged from either choice of impact.

That load is a good general purpose load as it will give you about 950 fps with that nice Keith bullet (250-260 grs).

Here is the 6½":

Dale53

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 30 June 2010

Dale...great tgt! I've had good luck as well with the Skelton load, and also with Win 231 at 5.7 grs. Either in my M-24 6.5", is capable of great groups. I once put 15 shots into 1.5” at 25 yds, sitting with Keith's back rest position. Either prescription seems to perk with any well cast 240 gr bullet. (And also with Lyman's 429215 gc, sized .430” from WW)

Best regards, you're gonna love that 624, Rodfac

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 01 July 2010

Hey Frank

Just a couple of additions to the mix.

With Red dot, 5.0 gr using a cast & sized .430 slug no gc, 6” barrel. Pact II chrono

215 gr sw = 835 fps    

240 gr sw = 850 fps

310 gr sw = 875 fps

These loads and chrono data are off the top of my head from a ton of using these loads for many different shooting disciplines. The big slug needs a heavy crimp to avoid unseating its neighbors.

I have since switched off to using Alliant Promo. Each lot has a different yeild in weight to volume ratios and must thence be adjusted for specific desired load velocities. Promo is very similar to Red dot for performance. The Red dot loads listed are safe, accurate and can be used effectively in 44 mag chambers. Speer lists some more fun loads under the 44 Russian caliber.  One in particular is for a round ball loaded into the case, it so intrigued me I was compelled to obtain the mould. Now I wish I had sprung for more than a single cavity mould at the time. Sorry I don't have chrono data for the ball load, thanks for reminding me I need to attend to that. While I had only considered the 44 special as a target and carry gun, coyote, deer and pig have fallen to these cartridge loads. Just a reminder that these loads hurt ears when used in panic, fear and covetousness without proper protection. It is a fun caliber and I am taking notes from the posts on this thread, thanks.

Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 18 July 2010

I have enjoyed using Trail Boss with the 245 gr. cast LSWC bullet. Forget the load but I remeber it was the starting load listed on the Hodgdon website. The plus of Trail Boss is that it is virtually impossible to get a double charge in those old straight walled pistol cases.

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 21 July 2010

Thanks all to those who took the time to share their load information. Frank

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 03 August 2010

I found a place here in louisiana called stonewall Bullet co. They have a 240 grain plain based rnfp 1500 for $76.70 plus 4% state tax. Have a question, does anyone specifically make a die set just for the 44 special?. I'm not talking about the 44spec/44mag dies sets. Seems I've heard about them from somewhere but having CRS kinda has me wondering if I heard wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Frank

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 03 August 2010

Back when the .44 magnum came out (and before, of course) it was common to find die sets for JUST the .44 Special. However, since the only difference in the two cases is the magnum is 1/10” longer, there is no reason to have a die set JUST for one.

The common .44 Special/Magnum die sets work perfectly well for the .44 Special.

Dale53

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 10 September 2010

Couple things. redding does make a set of dies specifically for the 44 special. And last weekend got out to shoot my 624 44 spec. Didn't do too bad and wished I could have saved the target. Got one heckofa thunderstorm do dancing out in an open area to reclaim the target was not on my list of thins to do. Getting into a dry truck was. All I had was 20 rounds winchester 200 grain silver points and they were pretty snappy. Our range did an excellent job regarding so now will be able to start using my chronograph. Also did get to shoot my cz82 in 9x18. One of the surplus pistol currently on the market. Only got ten rounds off before the weather changed. Still all in all was a good day. Frank

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 06 October 2010

I shoot the old Lyman 245 gr. #429421 Keith SWC with Trail Boss powder.

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 19 April 2011

Well there is a new addition to the 44 special family. Same dealer had a m24-3 with 4” bbl in pretty good condition. 44 special I asked, yes says he. And you know the rest of the story. This ones going back to Smith and Wesson to get the firing pin bushing replaced as some fool probably used those el cheapo steel brushes with the cut off tips as it has a few burrs in the firing pin hole. I checked on the S&W forum with serial number and found out that they only made about 2600 in this bbl length. Sometimes a blind squirrel can find the acorn. This 44 special thing can be addictive. I've shot my buddy's 44 special ruger but find the grips way too small. Was even thinking of getting my swedish rolling block in 8x58r rebarrelled to this caliber. It just never ends. Frank

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 06 January 2012

I am shooting the Lipsey 44 SPC in 4 5/8” bbl.  All loads are using a MiHec 255 grn Keith SWC clone bullet, cast of WW + ~2% tin.

Skelton load - 7.5 gr Unique

Also look at Handloader Mag (# 260 on Lipsey, and another article, #264 I think, on 44 SPC/44 Mag/45 Colt) articles Brian Peace wrote.   He likes b/n 8.0-9.0 Power pistol.  IIRC, 7.5 PP is mid range, 8.2 is a good load that is a bit warmer.  But VERIFY THESE LOADS!!! 

These loads are working well for me.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 06 January 2012

:coffee     Well, bust my buttons!  Another 44 Special shooter!  I bought a 44 Ruger Flattop because everyone raved about them.  My first bullets were some I got in a trade from Carolina Cast Bullets,  Lee #90285 (200 grain 44) Round nose, Flat point.  I thought cheap bullets so I'd try them.  At  7.4 grains of Unique with Winchester cases and primers (LP) It shoots amazingly well.

I managed to hit a 3” round target at 50 meters, offhand, last time out to the range, TWICE!  A couple of guys saw me do it. 

Historically Skeeter Skelton loaded 7.5 grains of Unique as a 'go to' load.   The 44 Special runs from soft plinking at 7.0 grains to hard, full out hunting loads at 8.0 grains of Unique. 

It's simple to load, eloquent to handle and shoot, a thing of beauty to me. 

Good Luck,

Ron

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 06 January 2012

hunterspistol wrote: :coffee     Well, bust my buttons!  Another 44 Special shooter!  I bought a 44 Ruger Flattop because everyone raved about them.  My first bullets were some I got in a trade from Carolina Cast Bullets,  Lee #90285 (200 grain 44) Round nose, Flat point.  I thought cheap bullets so I'd try them.  At  7.4 grains of Unique with Winchester cases and primers (LP) It shoots amazingly well.

Ron

I have been shooting the 44 SPC since I bought my first 44 Mag in the '80s.  Shot more SPCs than Mags...  And ALWAYS wanted a small frame 44 SPC on the 357 frame.  Just couldn't afford the 357 + the custom work...  When the Lipsey came along, I snatched it up!

I shoot the 250 Keith as mentioned above.  I also got the Lee 200 grn mold, but it ended up casting bullets 217 grn bullets w/ my alloy.  Oh well, still shoots well!  Can't remember what load I am using w/o looking at the books...

But bottom line is, the 44 SPC isn't hard to get to shoot well.  And they aren't punishing even with the mid to upper end loads.  I would much rather shoot a hot 44 SPC than about any 357.

And if you think the 44 SPC is fun, go look at the Lipsey 45 Colt convertible they just came out with! 

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 January 2012

OK, you guys are getting me excited again. It is the middle of winter here and not pistol season.

I have one of the Lipsey blued 44 Specials, 4 1/2” with Bisley grips. Very nice gun and my 7.5 grains Unique shooter (or 6.2 grains of SR7526) that will shoot better than me. My Old Model Ruger 45 Colt is a three cylindered gun, 45 Colt, 45 ACP and 45 AR, that is really my heavy hunter. After 20 years of reading about and 10 years shooting this OM in 45 Colt, it is THE heavy duty gun, not the 44 Special. The 45 Colt cylinder with with the Keith 452424 and full load of IMR4227 will take care of any handgun problem ever made.

But the 44 Special is the short, light and an everyday revolver that made it so popular with the last two generations of shooters.

Ric

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 07 January 2012

RicinYakima wrote: OK, you guys are getting me excited again. It is the middle of winter here and not pistol season. BTW - I have one of the Lipsey blued 44 Specials, 4 1/2” with Bisley grips. Very nice gun and my 7.5 grains Unique shooter (or 6.2 grains of SR7526) that will shoot better than me. My Old Model Ruger 45 Colt is a three cylindered gun, 45 Colt, 45 ACP and 45 AR, that is really my heavy hunter. After 20 years of reading about and 10 years shooting this OM in 45 Colt, it is THE heavy duty gun, not the 44 Special. The 45 Colt cylinder with with the Keith 452424 and full load of IMR4227 will take care of any handgun problem ever made.

But the 44 Special is the short, light and an everyday revolver that made it so popular with the last two generations of shooters.

Ric

BTW - Pearce says the Lipsey 45 convertible 45 ACP cylinder can me milled relatively easily to also shoot the 45 AR.  The 45 Colt Lipsey is the smaller frame and won't shoot the hottest larger frame 45 Colt loads  - but will handle 14K PSI and 23K PSI + P loads.

Attached Files

45 AR conversions have been going on for many years before if was mentioned in the magazines, at least 20 years. There is no down side to this, except if you are keeping a safe queen for some future Ruger collector. After picking up an old model cylinder in 45 ACP, I turned off the back of the cylinder so AR cases would headspace. If is so slight that ACP cases are still on the solid web and can be shot in the same cylinder. The only thing you lose is the serial number numerals scratched on the back of the cylinder.

Ric

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 07 January 2012

I give up - what are the pluses to being able to shoot the 45 AR? 

I bought my 45 Conv Flattop as purely a shooter - not a collector.  Figure it will get passed down to one of the boys, 'cause I KNOW I will NEVER sell it!!!  Could give a damn after that!

And then, who can be trusted to perform the gunsmith work for a reasonable price?  And what IS a reasonable price?

Attached Files

The only advantage of the AR case is if you use a leather/fabric belt with loops or carry pouch; ACP cases tend to fall/slip out hiking and horseback riding.

But there a lots of us .45 fans that have multiple 45 AR revolvers in M1917 or S&W 625. If you are not speed loading, AR cases are much nicer for plinking as you don't have to deal with clipping and un-clipping moon clips.

I did my own cylinder, 10 minutes to get it perfectly centered in the lathe chuck, 60 seconds to cut the rear face and two minutes to polish the edges. A touch of cold blue and your are done. I would think a real machinist or gunsmith would be happy to do it for $50.

Ric

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close