Homemade gas checks

• 2.4K Views
  • Last Post 29 September 2010
gnoahhh posted this 06 June 2010

I'm considering getting into the world of self-made gas checks.  Do y'all have opinions concerning the tools floating around for that purpose? Viable option, or should I just keep on throwing money at Hornady checks (when I can find them)? Opinions over on the “other” forum reach a religious fervor, when all I want is some sober analysis.

One aspect that never seems to get addressed is the crimp-on feature of the Hornady (or lack thereof on the home brews). Been using the Hornadys for so long I've forgotten about how well the old brass Lymans worked, or didn't work.

On the same note, I am considering firing up the lathe and mill to cook up a tool of my own.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JeffinNZ posted this 06 June 2010

The latest version of the Freechex tool, the FC III, can knock out 1000 checks an hour. You do the math. I have no real reason for factory checks now.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

2Tite posted this 07 June 2010

The guy on the other board called Blammer sells checks. They're reasonably priced , quite a bit cheaper than the name brand and of good quality. He might offer a small sample for you to “check out"

Attached Files

raytear posted this 07 June 2010

RE: crimped on vs. uncrimped

I have never used anything but Hornady. However, from reading info in other sources, the uncrimped variety MAY give erratic accuracy based on whether or not the checks stay on or come off. I have recovered slugs with the crimped GC still intact after plowing thru dirt and rocks in the backstop at our range. Also after traversing many inches of hide, tissue, and bone in game.

If I were using uncrimped gc's, I would put a drop of cyanoacrylate glue (Crazy Glue) in it before seating it.

Attached Files

35Whelen posted this 08 June 2010

I've been using the Free Chex II tool for better than a year now. it's a little slow, but I can make 100 checks (enough for our monthly High Power match) in about 20 minutes. I've seen a video of the Free Chex II tool and it's crazy fast.

My check material is aluminum “No Trespassing” signs purchased for $1.99 ea. One sign is good for about 550 .30 caliber checks. I still have a box and a half of Hornady checks, but the only time I use them is when I'm in a hurry to test a load and don't have any aluminum checks stamped out. Overall, I'd have to say the aluminum checks make for a slightly more accurate bullet. I can't explain why, but after having fired in excess of 1000 .30 caliber bullets with aluminum checks, I'm certain of it.

I have any idea for a press-mounted check maker, but just haven't taken the time to sit down and draw it up so my machinist buddy can make it.

35W

Attached Files

218mlponder posted this 08 June 2010

Just bought a Thompson Encore 35 Whelen custom barrel.

Wanted to shoot a 172 gr. cast bullet with gas ck need some load date.

I have a large stock of Varget and H 4198 would like to use these.

GOT ANY INFO ON REDUCED LOAD USING THESE POWDERS.

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 08 June 2010

Seems to me all you would need is 2 top and 2 bottom punch and die sets for a turret punch. Punch out the outside diameter of the disc for stamping. Use an oversized bottom for a forming die and push disc thru die with proper size punch for the check size.

If you use top punches with a center dimple it should be easier to center disc over forming die. it should also be easy to set up a jig to center disc over bottom die.

the other alternative is to make a two stage die. First stage punches disc, second stage forms check.

Good luck with your plans.

Bob D

Attached Files

edsmith posted this 28 September 2010

35Whelen, I would like to hear more about your check maker. thanks  edsmith

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 28 September 2010

I like the idea of these check making tools and applaud those who make them. A man has to know his limitations and this one is one step too far for me. I have a lathe and could make a tool and I could afford to buy one. But the .22 and .35 caliber Hornady gas checks I bought last month were not that expensive. I think I paid $23 for the .22's and $26 for the .35's, maybe $30 at Midway plus shipping. With the cheapest jacketed bullets over $.10 each, this seems pretty good to me.

I think an area I want to explore is non-metal checks, particularly plastic products such as 1/4 inch poster board with a styrofoam center or milk jug plastic. How about those cheap lids to plastic tupperware? I use the bottoms but not the tops. A 5/16 punch yields plugs of .3125 inches. These can be inserted first in a long necked case or glued to the bottom of the bullet. Paper card stock could also be used.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

Maven posted this 29 September 2010

"I think an area I want to explore is non-metal checks, particularly plastic products such as 1/4 inch poster board with a styrofoam center or milk jug plastic. How about those cheap lids to plastic tupperware? I use the bottoms but not the tops. A 5/16 punch yields plugs of .3125 inches. These can be inserted first in a long necked case or glued to the bottom of the bullet. Paper card stock could also be used."

Clodhopper, John Haviland tested these ideas and wrote about them in a past issue of “Handloader” magazine.  By and large, his results were disappointing.

Attached Files

Steel 13 posted this 29 September 2010

I have used quite few of the checks that Blammer sells. They are called Gator checks. Every bit as good as Hornady at half the cost. I cant justify buying a tool for $100, when I could buy 5,000 .30 cal checks for the same money. I have to draw the line at my cheapness somewhere.Thank goodness laziness is there to balance it out. LOL

Attached Files

raytear posted this 29 September 2010

Steel 13,

Do you have contact info for Blammer that you could post?

BTW, I'm with you are cheapness and laziness! :wnk:

RT

Attached Files

raytear posted this 29 September 2010

OOPS!

That last should read:   BTW, I'm with you RE: cheapness and laziness! :wnk:

RT

Attached Files

35Whelen posted this 29 September 2010

edsmith wrote: 35Whelen, I would like to hear more about your check maker. thanks  edsmith  

My check maker is just the CheckMaker II.

35W

Attached Files

Close