Need some Load advice for 134 grain cast bullet in 30/30

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 12 April 2010
jh45gun posted this 20 March 2010

I do not know the bullet number these were given to me I plan on shooting them in my 30/30 model 94 one a time single shot since they are a 30 cal pointed (Spitzer) bullet sized .310. All I can tell you is they are a gas checked pointed bullet that has 3 grease grooves and weighs with the gas check and lube applied they weigh 134 grains. Checking the length with my Caliper I get .826 with the gas check on it.

The powders I have on hand are 2400 and Unique. Since these will be plinking loads I would like to use Unique. There is nothing close to this in the Lyman Cast bullet hand book. Closest is a 122 grain and it does not show Unique or 2400.

Anyone got any suggestions for a load.

My normal load for 30/30 is 17 grains of 2400 with a Ideal 311407 bullet or equivalent. (these weigh over 180 grains and I see no pressure signs)

Since I do have these 134 grain ones I would like to shoot them up. Like I said I would like to use Unique for these if I can.

Note I do not want to use any fillers or tuffs of fiber ect.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 20 March 2010

FWIW, I use 7.0 grains of Unique for all my plinking loads with the 30/30. It is as clean as it gets with 120 grain bullets and is safe with 190's. My old Lyman book says you can go up to 11.5 grains with a 150 bullets. But 7.0 grains is just fine with me. No fillers are required!  Ric

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 21 March 2010

I loaded them up tonite with ten grains of Unique. Thanks for the replies.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 21 March 2010

I just received a Ideal 311359, which sounds close to what you have. It's supposed to be for the M1 carbine, but I'll be trying it in my 30-30. Used to shoot a 110 gn Speer in it. This will take it's place.

Attached Files

That pretty much looks like it except for this one has three lube grooves instead of two.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 21 March 2010

Short history of Lyman #311359. This bullet was introduced in about 1910 in Handbook Number 20, I believe. Gas checks had just been invented and this bullet was introduced, alone with companion #311316, for high speed loads with the 32/20 and 32 WCF. It appears that it was meant for more penetration than the flat nosed '316.

The '359 must not have been very popular, as moulds make prior to about 1960 are very hard to come by. But with the release of the 30 caliber US Carbines from the DCM, its popularity grew, as it was much more accurate than the plain based #311410. However the '410, at 130 grains, was easier to find a load that would function the gas system on the M1 Carbine.

By the time Lyman developed the #311576, their best carbine bullet, the popular press had decided that cast bullets were “unsuitable” for the M1 carbine. Still, those of us who experimented with the '359 found loads that shot at least as well as ball ammo, functioned the gas system and were cheap to make after US ball ammo ran out.

Ric

Attached Files

Any one have any idea who made this three lube groove bullet mold? There is a lube groove next to the gas check then another in the middle then one at the top right before the nose starts.

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 22 March 2010

Just a clarification. Duane suggested that maybe the bottom lube groove I was confusing for a gap between the gas check and the body of the bullet. Maybe but all three lube grooves are equal in width. It looks to me it was designed as a 3 groove bullet. OK I got curious so I got the gas check off one (Little bugger was on there good :D) and there is a distinct groove above where the gas check goes. So it is a 3 groove bullet.

OK some measurements Overall length of the bullet according to my caliper is   Length .805 with out gas check one with gas check measures .814

width of the gap at the bottom of the bullet to the first driving band is:

Gap .142

Now where the gas check goes is crimped down smaller than the gap to the first driving band I suspect maybe that is because the lead got crimped down? There is a slight step between where the gas check was and where the gap is until the first driving band but as I said could that be because the check crimped down the lead?

Bullet with out the gas check and lube still weighs 128 grains so this has to be a 130 grain bullet.

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 22 March 2010

Of course with out knowing the alloy could this be a 115 grain bullet that weighs that much more due to the alloy?

Attached Files

w30wcf posted this 08 April 2010

jh45gun wrote: Of course with out knowing the alloy could this be a 115 grain bullet that weighs that much more due to the alloy?

jh45gun,

Very doubtful. Even If your bullet was pure lead it would weigh only about 7 grs less in linotype.

Please let us know how they shoot with your load of 10/Unique.  My recommendation would also be for the 7 gr; load that was mentioned.

w30wcf

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 12 April 2010

Will post results when I get out to the range again.

Attached Files

Close