"Frozen Chosin" M1 Garand Match

• 2.3K Views
  • Last Post 23 February 2010
Wally Enga posted this 21 February 2010

We finally got a break in the weather and shot this match yesterday that was scheduled for the beginning of Jan.  After the Jan blizzards we couldn't even get into the range for about 3 weeks. For a winter day it was pretty nice --- temps in the teens in the morning and warming to lower 20's by the afternoon with fairly light winds.

We had a very good turnout with a record number of M1 entries for a CBA match. Richard Howard shot some great scores with his M1 to post a 369-4X aggregate including a 95-2X on his last 200 yard string.  Jeff has the results posted on the CBA Web Site.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

We even had die hards that after a suburb lunch of venison stew and pheasant noodle soup shot the course a second time around.

Attached Files

Richard Howard getting the Dakota Benchrest “Frozen Chosen” trophy.

Great shooting Doc !

Wally

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 21 February 2010

Thanks for sharing that Wally, it gives me hope for my M1 with cbs. Tried it in a milsurp sil. match, no cigar, but I know it's me, not the gun or load. By the way, I shot the sil. match again yesterday with Wineman. I used my 1908 Brazilian 7x57 with j. ammo this time. Did ok, it was a lot of fun. Anyway, it was about 60+ degrees with mostly sunny skies! I could have rode my motorcycle to the match. Where does Jeff have the results, I'd like to see them?

Attached Files

Ahhh --- I do envy your being able to shoot in 60+ temps this time of year. The Garand may have been the best Battle Rifle ever made but to get it to shoot as issued competitively in benchrest a match is a real task --- and that's the highest score I have seen in a cast bullet registered match with that rifle.

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 February 2010

Nothing warms my heart more than seeing dedicated (crazy?) shooters out having a fun time at the range! However aint a chance in hell you would catch me out in that kind of weather to shoot a Garand, makes my right thumb ache just to think about it.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 22 February 2010

Wally,

We had our version of that up here at Oakdale on Saturday. Had (18) shooters. 20 F and sunny. Just a bit different than yours. CB's are not required and people are also suing M-1 Carbines (not sure why). You score your own targets but nothing is recorded or sent out afterwards. A lot of the guys have old uniforms on, canteen belts, .45's, helmets, etc. 10 rounds 10-minutes offhand, 10-rounds 60-seconds sit or kneel, 10-rounds 70-seconds prone and then 20-rounds 10-minutes prone. I'm shooting some surplus Korean made ammo (this is the only jacketed bullet shooting I do any given year now that prairie dogs are off the calendar). I have handloads that do better which I'll use next time out.

But...was FUN!

Tom

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 22 February 2010

I have to admire these snow bunnies; I also think the are a bit nuts. No way in hell I would shoot in weather like that.

Jim

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 22 February 2010

Wally, tell your buddies to try either 5744 or 2400. Tom, you probably know that Korean stuff is corrosive. I got a can way back at a gun show and was using it for blasting ammo in a bolt action, didn't have a Garand then, had to do the hot water cleanup. It's not bad ammo though, for what it is. I got a email from the DCM, they say they're getting in a huge supply of more Greek HXP. The HXP will hold 1 1/2” in my CZ. They also said they're getting Garand bayonets soon, in a large quantity.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 23 February 2010

I got the same email, Tim. Also have M1D's for regular purchase! $1500 is outside my budget, but for someone who wants one.....

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 23 February 2010

Thanks for the pics! I love to see what is going on!

Attached Files

Close