Which Powders are most Position Insensitive?

• 3.4K Views
  • Last Post 01 June 2010
35Whelen posted this 13 February 2010

I've noticed in the cast bullet match results that AA5744 is a popular powder. I've tried it and really like it as I get very, very good accuracy with it out of my K-31's and 1903/03A3's using jacketed and cast alike.

Problem is it's impossible to get locally and for whatever reason is more expensive than most other powders. I've used 2400 quite bit, but with some bullets I get vertical stringing which I assume means erratic ignition (I'm too lazy to set up the chronograph).  

Which leads to the question: are there any other powders with characterstics similar to 5744 when it comes to burning rate and position insensitivity?

Experiences appreciated.

Regards,

35W

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JSH posted this 13 February 2010

I had the worst case of “issues” with blue dot. I have found SR 4759 to make me happy, though it can be as hard to find at times as 5744. H335 and AA2520 have both given me good results with CB's, using starting loads for jacketed. I know some here use a lot of pistol powders with good results. Unique and 2400 are about the only two I use. I have not had any thing go on with the 2400 or unique loads I have used. jeff

Attached Files

ubetcha posted this 13 February 2010

If I remember right,I think Ed Harris stated that 2400 and red dot were not position sensitive. Ed, Is that correct?

I also think he stated that he uses Winchester primers because they throw a shower of sparks to help ignite powder not against the primer

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 13 February 2010

I have tried some - not all - of the faster powders in my production class .308 and my issue '03-A3, and wound up back with Varget, IMR4895 and H4895. I use Winchester primers (when I can get them; CCI when I can't) and I roll every round on the follower to level the powder in the case before I close the bolt. I DO NOT have any problems with vertical stringing.

(I sometimes have other problems, but they're from an inability to read the wind or 82 year old eyes or general stupidity. They're not from powder position sensitivity.)

I have recently tried 5744. With proper loads, I've found it shoots right along with my best Varget/H4895 loads, but that stuff is some of the awfullest powder to run through a powder measure I've run into in a long time. I finally decided that unless I came up with a 5744 load that worked a WHOLE LOT better than my regular competition loads, I would stay with the loads I'm using.

I am convinced that position sensitivity of reduced powder loads can be successfully overcome by simply taking steps to have the powder located the same in the case every time. You can do it by tipping the rifle up (powder back against the primer) or down (powder against the bullet) but to do that you have to change the rifle's position on the bags between every shot.

Obviously, rolling the round on the follower to level the powder in the case only works for bench rest shooting. Even I am not stubborn enough to try it for offhand or position shooting.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 13 February 2010

I used 2400 for a season in an 03A3. While I can't prove it, it seemed more position sensitive than 4759.

Attached Files

35Whelen posted this 13 February 2010

LWesthoff wrote: I am convinced that position sensitivity of reduced powder loads can be successfully overcome by simply taking steps to have the powder located the same in the case every time. You can do it by tipping the rifle up (powder back against the primer) or down (powder against the bullet) but to do that you have to change the rifle's position on the bags between every shot.

I guess Ishould have mentioned that I shoot High Power so tipping the rifle or rolling the shell isn't an option.

Thanks for the replies,

35W

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 13 February 2010

How the rifle is handled at the bench is, I think, important. The rounds are in an MTM box with the base down. When they are chambered, I make it a point to handle the round so the powder stays at the primer end of the case. Then the bolt is closed gently so the powder stays close to the primer.

Jim

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 14 February 2010

I have found 4895 not to be position sensitive. I use it for 308 and 30-06 sized cases and I make sure it is half full or more.

Attached Files

32ideal posted this 14 February 2010

Found Accurate 2015 powder to be very position tolerant in my 03 Springfield using the old style Lyman #311644 mould casting a 187gr bullet that is pan lubed to get the lube in the nose grooves and sized .3105” with home made base first sizer, then seated out to just touch the rifling, with 27-29grs of AA2015 behind them. Also used A2015 in my 308W Remington VLS behind the RCBS 308-200gr and found it to be an excellent powder, only problem I had at the time was finding A2015 locally:(.

Mike :)

Attached Files

huffmanite posted this 01 June 2010

IMR Trail Boss is very position INSENSITIVE and due to its shape, fills a case nicely. 

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 01 June 2010

SR 4759 and 4198 are both in the same range. Have the same problem myself, 5744 just isn't around.

Ron

Attached Files

Close