Need CCR pistol reccomendations

• 2.1K Views
  • Last Post 01 November 2009
tturner53 posted this 01 November 2009

After all these years I finally got my CCR license. Now that I have it I'd like to buy a pistol. I've always admired the Walther PP, and I do like just about anything CZ made. It may be next summer before I have the play budget built back up, but in the mean time( or if Santa stops at my house) I'd like to research my options. Looking at some dealer's websites it seems like availability has gone down on these type of guns, thought maybe someone might know of some source. I just want it for fun, primarily, casual shooting, but I'm open to suggestions. A .32 or .380 would be nice, but a 9x18 will do, or whatever. Just want to plink with cast bullets, maybe a light duty trail gun. Argie has told me how he rechambered a Nagant revolver, I'd like something like that, but am thinking of a small auto for now. Anybody familiar with the Cz 52 or 53? The Tokarevs are hideous guns, but if somebody has had success with one shooting cast bullets I'd like to know. Thanks  Tim

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
303PV posted this 01 November 2009

The CZ 52 in cal 7.62x25 or the CZ53 in 9x19 luger are single action. They are all steel with the roller locking system. They are quite accurate with cast bullets. I have shot the 311-093-1R Lee with it , but also the C309-113-F. I don't have the 9mm barrel. I use Sellier & Bellot brass. Starline also makes cases.

The Makarov (9x18) is smaller and double action. The barrel is permanently fixed to the frame. I have the steel frame russian fixed sight version and the adjustable sight version. Field stripping is the same as for the Walther PP. I use the Lee 365-95-1R cast bullet. Brass is made by Sellier & Bellot and also by Starline. I have read somewhere that 9x19 luger cases can be used when shortened by 1 mm. Accuracy is good.

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 01 November 2009

Tim, The days of inexpensive pocket autos seem to have passed too quickly. Your best choice will probably be a recent production PPK or PPK/S. The CZ52 is an interesting gun, but is a full sized gun. You can conceal a 1911 just as easily.

Jack

Attached Files

CB posted this 01 November 2009

I think you'd like any of the small pistols chambered for the 9x18 my favorite being the true Makarov although the days of cheap ammunition are gone. The PA63 and PA64 are nice but I like the Makarov a lot better because they seem to kick less and the triggers are better. The CZ 82 is also a nice pistol. For my money in the 9x18 I'll stick with the Pistolet Makarova.

Attached Files

corerf posted this 01 November 2009

tturner53, howd you do it? You and I live in Cal. What county did you get it in?? If you don't mind me asking. I need the secrets. (CCR is concealed carry permit, yes?)

Attached Files

Thanks for the info guys. I'm leaning towards the Makarov for sure, now I just need to find a good source(and some money). I'll do a web search and see what I can learn. To tell you the truth they all sound interesting, maybe I can work my way down the list and get 'em all. It's good to know someone else has already had success with the cast bullets. I also want to get a 1911 Schmidt Rubin rifle, but that's another story. Corerf, don't get your hopes up, a CCR is a curio FFL, not a CCW. I'm legal to carry about anywhere I want, but that isn't related to the CCR. In Cal. it depends totally on what county you live in, it's easy as pie if you live in the right place, impossible if you live in a major population area like La area or Bay area. A lot of non-Californians don't realize that most of California is very rural, farm and ranch country or national forests and open BLM land.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 01 November 2009

After 35 plus years as an active Bullseye Pistol competitor (won my Distinguished Expert badge back in the early '80s) I have always carried a .45 cal. lightweight Commander for personal protection. However, a few years ago I had rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder. One arm out of commission for a few months due to some unforseen complications. I realized something I'd never thought about before. It's just about impossible to clear a malfunction or reload a semi-auto if one arm isn't functioning. Revolver - you get a misfire, you just pull the trigger again and go to another round. If you have a shoulder or arm wound and the bad side hand is still functioning, you can still reload a revolver. It's something to think about when choosing a personal defense weapon.

Wes

Attached Files

Wes, I agree with you about revolvers, my personal favorite all purpose gun is a S&W M60 in .357. In my opinion it's THE choice for a one gun person. Mine has adjustable sights, something that just adds to it's versatility. I've never been in a situation in real life when 5 shots wasn't enough. If I knew I was heading into trouble that would be a different thing. My interest in the CCR eligible autos is more for fun, although you never know, right? All the guns mentioned interest me, I'd like to try 'em all with cast bullets, but the Makarov will probably be first. Seems like I remember a conversion barrel being available for one making it a .380. I have a lot of .380 brass, though I've never had one(incurable brass farmer). By the way, my second choice for a one gun person would be a K frame Smith, plain vanilla, maybe Model 10. Where are you CCR holders doing your shopping?

Attached Files

KenK posted this 01 November 2009

This is a little .32 S&W long I bought at a gun show 3-4 years ago.  I felt like I had stolen it.  It looks like brand new, any smudges or whatever you can see in the pic are oil or just bad photography.  I sure would like to find another with a round butt and snub barrel. 

I hate self feeders, I'm too lazy to bend over and pick brass up off the ground.

My dad was pretty involved with bullseye shooting in the 70's and early 80's and he had some nice custom pistols.  This S&W revolver has the best trigger pull of any handgun I've ever shot.  I don't know if it came that way or if a good gunsmith worked it over.

Attached Files

corerf posted this 01 November 2009

C&R, that's where I was confused. Right on.

Samco J & G sales Century Arms (although reviews have not been great) Sarco

Buy a Shotgun News and pretty much you'll have it covered for C & R dealers. Still have to friggen DROS each pistol unless you pop $150 for a COE in California. I hate Cal. Taxes, guns, lead, game, immigration, economy, libs....most of those are four letter words. I digress.

Do a search on C & R dealers (google) you should get a bunch of hits. J and G is within driving distance, but are supposed to have exceptional TRUE descriptions of merchandise. Also, if your buying from Midway, get them on the phone and get your dealer discount for 03FFL. You'll save some here and there but it will add up. Then try Midsouth and Natchez. I have a dealer login at Midway. Every little bit helps.

Attached Files

C&R! That's what I meant to say, I knew something didn't look right. Corerf, thanks for the info. KenK, that's a very nice little gun you've got there, sure prettier than my M60. I see it's got the pinned barrel, nice. I actually bought two M60s, a while back, one for my son. We're going to have them engraved at the S&W Custom Shop. Unfortunately they have the new lock on 'em, which is ugly, but you just unlock them and put the key away. I'm going to go search those dealer's websites for a nice pistol.

Attached Files

Close