.30 Luger

• 4.7K Views
  • Last Post 02 November 2009
Will Durant posted this 03 October 2009

Any folks here who reload for the .30 Luger?If so what are you using for loads???Will

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 06 October 2009

Meister 94-gr. .312 cowboy bullet or RCBS 32-90CM and 3.5 grs. of Bullseye should cycle OK and approximate .32 H&R Magnum.  Have not actually tried this, is educated guess.  What type of pistol?  P.08 or??

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Will Durant posted this 06 October 2009

Hi Ed-Thanks for the reply.The pistol is a SIG P210-6.The only ammunition that I have used is factory.The bore is .310.Will

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 09 October 2009

Oh my~! You have a REAL prize! PLEASE let us know how you do and post some pictures.

I'd still try the Meister bullets, as-cast, but also sized in increments. Don't recall whether CIP 7.65 Luger chamber has a cylindrical ball seat, or if it just has an angle off the case mouth. Upset chamber slug would tell the story.

P210 is inherently strong and accurate pistol. Europeans feel that the .30 cartridge is inherently more accurate than the 9mm. Cast generally works best in the small bore pistols with the lightest charge which cycles reliably, as pressure peaks early in the smaller cases.

Did you find this one in the US or bring it back?

For those not familiar with the P210 this link is a good resource:

http://www.p210.com/>http://www.p210.com/

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Will Durant posted this 12 October 2009

Ed-the 210 was purchased as a 9mm back in the late eightes here in the states.Although I have taken the pistol to Switzerland for shooting in the Federal Matches as a 9mm.I bought the 30 caliber barrel from Simpson Ltd about 5 or or 6 years ago and am just now starting to work with the 30 barrel.Will

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 October 2009

I would sure love to see you work up an article on this gun for The Fouling Shot. Make us ALL drool~!

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 15 October 2009

I would also love to see/hear more about this pistol. Not being able to get a 210 I bought what I thought was the next best thing, a Tanfoglio copy of the CZ75. It has a decocker which I like and an auxilliary barrel and mag in .41AE, a cartridge I thought was a stroke of genuis. This pistol is very well made, though no 210, and helped me win runnin' gunnin' type matches many years ago. I can easily understand Ed's enthusiasm for the SIG, they're beautiful guns. Wish I had one.

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 01 November 2009

Will, I've tinkered with a 1920 Luger .30 with a 4” barrel for the last 15 yrs or so...off and on. It's an interesting caliber...hard to get a good crimp because of the thin case but accurate nevertheless. As a start, factory W-W loads had jacketed bullets that were .309” in dia. and shot 1.75” gps at 25 yds with 1174 fps velocity. I was unable to find any WW jacketed 93 gr FMJ's for reloading but did get a thousand of Remington's from Midway on a close out many years ago.

I've tried a variety of lead and jacketed bullets with it. Here are some of my results. Most of this work was done at least ten years ago. In my current experience, I think that Win 231 is now a slower batch than what was available then. Be careful as you work up loads in that regard. I do my load testing, shooting from a sitting position, knees up with the gun extended between my upright knees. With a good back rest, my groups are generally better that way than shooting off bags. Too, this Luger had the 'barley corn' front sight and shallow notch rear making a good sight picture difficult. That said, here are some of my notes.

The old Bull-X 100 gr cast SWC @ .310” shoots well, and cycles ok with 3.6 gr of Win 231...inch+ gps at 25yds.
Lyman's 311249 sized .310” out of WW sweetened with a little tin and pushed by 3.2 gr of Bullseye went into 1.5” at 25 but wouldn't eject.
Hornady's 90 gr Swagged SWC .32 bullet gave me 2” gps with 3.0 gr of Bullseye and also ejected well. Didn't check the dia. on this one, but they're soft enough that a roll or taper crimp is possible.

With Jacketed bullets, Sierra's .32 85 gr JHP's with 4.5 gr of 231 gave me 1.25” gps and good ejection. Remington 93 gr FMJ's from the last of Midway's offerings and 4.0 gr of Bullseye went into 1.5” at 25 yds...I used a taper crimp on this bullet. Remington 110 gr Carbine bullets with 4.2 gr of 231 and Winchester Sm Rifle Primers also shot 1.25+” gps. This particular combination is a pain to load and get a decent crimp because of the smooth bullet and its length. I tried a CH canelure machine to get a groove with mixed results but accuracy went to he--.

Over all, .32 cal. bullets, either cast or jacketed, seemed to work fine. Pressure indications with the above prescriptions were normal and ejection patterns were similar to the factory rounds. I never slugged the bore on my Luger when loading for it....makes me wonder now...I'll have to do that at some point.

Reloading for it was a trial and error process. The bottle neck case is thin and it's tough to get a crimp that will hold the bullet tight enough to prevent set back on the feed ramp. Jams were infrequent on the Luger's smooth feed ramp but cycling the action required a fairly healthy shove from the powder.

Leading didn't seem to be an issue even with the swagged Hornady's but then I wasn't shooting 100 rounds in testing. My gun has a fair barrel as far a pitting goes but it's evident that it's crown is still ok considering the gps it shoots.

HTH's Rodfac

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 01 November 2009

Here's a pic of the gun if I can get the image to print. Regards, Rodfac

Attached Files

Will Durant posted this 02 November 2009

Thanks for the info.On another site I got data for the use of Unique-5 grains with a cast(no weight)and the Hornady 90 grainer jhp.Will

Attached Files

Will Durant posted this 02 November 2009

Found anoter posting I forgot.Lee 93 grain with 4.5 grains of SR7625 and Hornady 90 grain jhp with 5.5 grains of SR4756.This gives me a few places to start.Will

Attached Files

Close