4759 vs 5744

• 2.7K Views
  • Last Post 07 December 2020
Qc Pistolero posted this 25 August 2020

My stash of 4759 is quickly melting down from extensive use in my 45-70.Since I can have some 5744 by the 5 pounder at a bargain price,I was wondering if anybody replaced the former by the latter and what is your commentary about it.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
45 2.1 posted this 25 August 2020

I never had as good of groups with 5744 then I have with 4759. The last time they discontinued 4759, I got caught with 16 pounds and couldn't find anymore....... when they started making it on this go around I solved that little problem.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
Tom Acheson posted this 25 August 2020

I had a friend I shot with at NRA BPCR silhouette matches. He was sensitive to recoil. His rifle was a C. Sharps Model 74 in .38-55. He swore by 18.0 of 5744.

As I began my recent journey with a Rolling Block in 38-55, I focused on 5744. But then I stumbled on a .38-55 thread on the ASSRA forum where 300MP was preferred for that chambering. That got me thinking so I first tried it in my Savage bolt action in .308 Winch at a CBA match and it worked great. Then I started messing around with it in my Roller. 17 grains with a 335 grain bullet shoots well. But...be sure to use magnum rifle primers. 

300MP meters very well and is currently available. Some call it a slow version of H-110. 

Might be worth a try......have fun!

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Bud Hyett posted this 26 August 2020

My experience with SR 4759 was good in calibers from .308 to .45-70. The problem was they would quit producing it. When we beat on the manufacturer and finally got SR 4759 back in production, the powder was the same for loading and accuracy. 

My experience with 5744 was lot-to-lot variation. There was an original formulation that varied greatly lot-to-lot, then they ceased production. When they reintroduced the powder, it was a different formulation with the same burning rate and energy content. This formulation was better for lot-to-lot variance.

Neither formulation shot as well as SR 4759. 

Not to be a heretic, but in frustration, I dropped both and went to Reloder #7 for medium-bore and large-bore loading. Even with mid-range loads, there was the same accuracy and it was available. I load the .45-70 for several rifles from 1100 fps to 1800 fps with this powder and get good accuracy. When I had a .38-55, Reloder #7 was a good powder there, but the powder burned dirty when breech-seated.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 26 August 2020

I tried 5744 about a year ago against Alliant 2400 and Varget in 30-06. In the recommend range, it threw keyholes and flyers. I was told that it now needs serious pressure to burn correctly. I believe I have the third production plant product (Czech?). SR 4759 was like an old friend. Sometimes you did not see them for years, but when you did it was like you saw each other yesterday. RIP my so useful pal. I too have some Rx7 and need to see where it falls in the pantheon of powders.

Dave

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • RicinYakima
lotech posted this 27 August 2020

A quick glance through my notes shows me that I've developed about as many accurate loads with 5744 as I have with SR4759 over many years of loading for .30-40 Krag, .308, and .30-06. I did not review data for the other cast bullet rifle cartridges I load for but don't shoot often - .32-40, .38-55, and .45-70. 

I'll agree that SR4759 may be the single best powder for many rifle cartridges using cast bullets. However, with judicious load development, I'm pretty sure SR4759 results can be duplicated with other powders including 5744, Reloder7, and H4895.

Exceptions have to be taken into account. I did come across an instance recently where a load that used the Eagan MX3-30ARD bullet and 5744 powder gave mediocre accuracy in a reasonably accurate Ruger 77V .308. Being very familiar with the history of this rifle and its accuracy potential, the results surprised me. The same load shoots very well in a Remington 700 VS. I'll have to keep at it as I think this bullet will shoot in the Ruger, just not with the powder and/ or charge I originally selected. Still, I'll keep 5744 handy. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Dale53 posted this 27 August 2020

Years ago I was VERY active with the Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette crowd. When I needed a smokeless or duplex load, RL-7 became my powder of choice. It has the burning rate of 4198 but measures much better and burns well. I shot 40/65 and 45/70.

FWIW

Dale53

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
cfp4570 posted this 28 August 2020

I have no experience with 5744 or 4759, so there's that, but I've used quite a bit of RL-7 over the years and have been totally satisfied. Now, I'm a die hard plinker and informal shooter and don't do a lot of the hard work of chasing accuracy and load development, so my two cents here is worth just that. I will say that it was the most accurate powder I tried for my 357 maximum Contender with a factory barrel.

Attached Files

Qc Pistolero posted this 10 September 2020

Well,like blondes vs redheads,some prefer the former while others will go with the latter(I prefer blackhair but married an auburn...go figure!!?!).

Since the price was irresistible and one never has enough powder,lead and primers,I got myself a 5 pounder.If my 2 45-70 don't like it,I can always use it in my 38-55 and if not in one of my 30-30 and if not...........

Thanks to you all who took time to tell me about your experience with it.

Attached Files

Qc Pistolero posted this 10 October 2020

I went out today to fulfill a tough duty:shooting my 45-70!As I've explained to my wife,it is a tough job but someone has to do it.

So early this morning I was ready to test 5744 powder against my well proven but rapidly melting down 4759 powder in a head to head match.

While the latter posted a very good 1''@100 and many 1 3/8 to 2 1/2''at 100 metallic sights,5744 didn't fare so bad.Both were sparked by Federal Mag rifle primers and stuffed with Dacron(temp was in the 50's and an eastern wind of a little less than 10mph onto our north oriented range).NOE 325 gr unsized with LLA visually inspected for defects emphasize on a perfect base and segregated in 1gr increments(25:1).5744 shot groups between 1 1*2 to 3''.but at 29 gr,a trail of unburnt powder grains was left in the bbl.Next step.increase the powder charge.But I feel that this powder is telling me something good.I'll keep searching.

That is exept if they decide to bring back good old 4759!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Qc Pistolero posted this 19 October 2020

New report:I've increased the charge to 30 gr but the trail of unburnt powder is still there.Yesterday,at the time of shooting,temp was a nice 45*F no wind.groups were the same as with 29gr.Still using Fed Mag primers and Dacron filler.

I'm going to try the other way:28gr)and if the unburnt powder is still there,might try some other powder.

Attached Files

M1fuzz posted this 19 October 2020

Do you think they ever will make SR4579 again? Anyone we could call or email to try?

I have had great luck w/ IMR4227 in my cast bullet loads but, I hear so much good stuff about SR4579 I want to try it.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 19 October 2020

SR4759 will most likely never be made again, It is expensive to make and it took them years to sell out every batch they made.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
rmrix posted this 19 October 2020

New report:I've increased the charge to 30 gr but the trail of unburnt powder is still there.Yesterday,at the time of shooting,temp was a nice 45*F no wind.groups were the same as with 29gr.Still using Fed Mag primers and Dacron filler.

I'm going to try the other way:28gr)and if the unburnt powder is still there,might try some other powder.ghj

I had not considered using a Mag primer. I have been loading my 40-60 Maynard (Hepburn) with my BPCR  P Jones 406gr Money Bullet, Standard Rem9-1/2 primer, 20.5 AA5744 and 0.7gr Dacron.

I don't know if this is the MOST accurate way to go but, it is plenty good for the 200 meter Cowboy silhouette match here locally. 1.5 - 2" 100 yards on paper. I guess trying the mag primer would be a good idea.  I ignore the unburnt powder in the barrel. Does it derail the bullet train as it heads down the barrel?  Or is it a non issue?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Qc Pistolero posted this 19 October 2020

While I can't say that the trail of unburnt powder is affecting accuracy,I must admit that it annoys me...unburnt powder doesn't generate pressure and I guess that seing some unburnt must mean pressure is not the same round after round.

I use aprox 1gr of Dacron per rd(I weigh one and use it as a template;the others I simply tear off the strip eyeballing them to the same volume).Maybe my bullets are too light(330gr Accurate mould which comes out at aprox 325gr 25:1 mix)

Since our competition season is now over(thanks to Mr Covid 19),It gives me plenty of time to try to solve the problem.I'll try it with heavier bullets(425,525 and 530gr)and if it fails out,might resort to try 3031 or 4895.

Attached Files

M1fuzz posted this 19 October 2020

Cripes!!!!!

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 22 October 2020

AA5744 with standard primer (S&B)

This is the first part of a simple test using standard primers in my 40-60 Maynard. Baldwin iron sights front and rear. 100 meters on the 22rf 100yd target. I assembled these in haste using some 30-40 Krag GRAFF marked brass reformed to 40-60 Maynard. The brass is a little sticky going in and coming out and I  had to knock them back out using a rod. Being pressed for time, I chose not to fire anymore of the standard primer loads and none of the Magnum primer loads.  Okay!!! Just half a test so far ;-)

Posting this will give me the incentive to complete and post the rest of the test as I get time. I am trying to elk hunt now and the that is not going well. Fire is everywhere here and I can't get into my well known area so I am sitting here drinking coffee and posting things I normally would not take the time to.

Here is a picture from my place looking west last night after I got in.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
Qc Pistolero posted this 22 October 2020

Not bad at all RM.May I ask what rifle you shoot these 40-60 in?

I hope you won't loose your hunting spot because of these fires!

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 24 October 2020

The rifle is a Remington Hepburn.

I tried to complete the test today but the conditions were just too windy and cold. I started to get my things out of the truck and just packed it up again. Not much to be learned in these conditions but waste ammo. I was kidding myself even thinking about shooting.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
RicinYakima posted this 24 October 2020

That time of year, again! Live in the valley at 1200 feet and the range is on the side of a ridge at 2500 feet and 20 miles away. Weather can be very different, but usually not better, higher up.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
rmrix posted this 03 November 2020

Not much real data to add but I did get a chance to shoot a few more rounds with the magnum large rifle primers v the standard rifle primers. More shooting will be needed as the few shots in two group is is not enough to show much. That high right hole was the first shot from a cold clean barrel. The other high shot was the last shot which I called high out of the group. So it could be that either primer at this point shows fairly good prospects. Some more shooting might show a difference.Magnum primers - 1st shot, clean barrel, high and right

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
Show More Posts
Close