Case lubes

• 11K Views
  • Last Post 08 February 2010
hunterspistol posted this 06 September 2009

:armyhelmet:     Anyone using a case lube or case reforming lube they'd like to brag about?  Currently, I use Hornady One Shot.  It smells great, evaporates quickly and works wonderfully.  The only drawback is that I have to remember to reorder it before I run out, those aerosol cans aren't cheap either.

I've tried RCBS pump spray, too sticky. Anyone using a light, disappearing lube that's trouble free or almost trouble free?

I do some wildcatting, 7mmTCU and such so, a case reforming lube wouldn't be out of the question.:coolgun:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
lordgroom posted this 06 September 2009

I use the Dillon spray lube and it works great.

Attached Files

JSH posted this 06 September 2009

I use the Hornady also, seems to be less sticky than most sprays. Have used the Dillon stuff at a friends house. Imperial sizing wax for drastic brass moving.

FYI, I have used chapstick for sizing before with good results. Just like Imperial a little goes a long way. jeff

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 07 September 2009

Imperial is still the best high-pressure lubricant for case reforming or just resizing military brass that hasn't been annealed, IMHO.

For ever day use, most of the current resizing lubes are wax based, versus 20 years ago when they were all petrolium based. The difference is that wax based lubes will not contaminate powder charges, at least by my understanding. Milsurp forum did a test using readily available wire pulling lubrcant with good results. An electrician friend gave me a bottle to try (it's $5 for a BIG bottle) and it worked fine. Hornady One shot still gets the nod for ease of use but when I'm out, I use the wire pulling compound and drive on.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 07 September 2009

I use One Shot almost exclusively.  I have a can of Imperial that I will use on occasion if I'm just sizing one or two cases or some other odd job.

For people that may not have used One Shot much or haven't had good results; I have found that the timing between spraying and sizing is very important because the lube dries so fast. 

Also, never throw away a used up can until you are sure the spray nozzle on the next can works properly; I have had several cans where it did not.

I take an old towel and fold it in thirds long ways and drape it over my left knee while I'm sizing cases.  As I size I will palm 3-5 sized cases in my left hand and then roll them back and forth a couple of times on the towel before dumping them in the “done” container. 

All that said; I would be happy to find a non-aerosol spray that worked as well as the Hornady.

Attached Files

GL49 posted this 07 September 2009

I've got to try the wire pulling lube idea. We mentioned to our supplier we wanted to try a different lube, and he gave us three one-quart samples for free. One of them acts like it is water based, it dries completely in a few minutes. Hmmmmm.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 07 September 2009

I use Hornady 'Unique Case Lube'. Rub it on with my fingers and lube the neck inside with a q-tip. Mostly I only neck size anyway. You have to wipe 'em off with a towel after but they come out clean. It also works as a leather preservative and is a lot like Mink Oil or saddle soap. Never got a case stuck when I remember to put it on, but when I forget.... There's FOUR dies in the garage with stuck cases, today I'm going to try making a homemade stuck case puller(one of them is my '06 and I need it now.

Attached Files

3100Loren posted this 07 September 2009

Kline Tools makes a synthetic wax wire pulling compound that works well for me, at about $4.00 a quart it is a good deal.

Loren

Attached Files

Horace posted this 07 September 2009

8 part 99% Isopropyl alcohol and 1 parts liquid lanolin.The liquid lanolin can be used with beeswax to make bullet lube. Horace

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 08 September 2009

Ed Harris once suggested VO 5 hair dressing for men.  It contains a bit of lanolin and is very inexpensive at Wal-Mart or Target.  Although it's not Brylcream, a little dab 'il do ya when smeared on a case lube pad.

Disappearing, it ain't.  I wash fully resized cases in Dawn, rinse, and let dry.  It takes an extra day, but makes more sense to me than tring to tumble de-capped cases to remove lubricant: flash holes pick up bits of corn cob or walnut shell.

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 September 2009

Now I dont do this, but... I have a friend that uses an old chalk board eraser soaked with motor honey.. Cheap and it works.

I personally use Imperial sizing wax for the cases that have to be full length sized or formed.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 08 September 2009

I'm still using a tube of VO5 I got ten years ago. Got no hair anymore, so for sizing brass it lasts a long time. 8-)

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 09 September 2009

I put a little bit of Bag Balm in a one gallon zip lock bag. I followed that with a light spritz of PAM. The PAM melted the Bag Balm. I throw my cases in the bag and roll the cases around until they have a light coating of lanolin and oil. Then I dry them overnight on newspaper. When I get ready to lube some more cases I just hit the bag again with PAM. As little as it takes to lube my great-grandchildren will still be using the same can of PAM and Bag Balm sixty years from now.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 09 September 2009

I haven't used VO5 since I was 19 but, stopped and got a tube today. Wonder if alcohol cuts it?  I'm looking into cheaper alternatives than Hornady One Shot because, after all, I'm just a factory welder.  If I can find ways to do all this without spending a fortune, I'll be better off.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 09 September 2009

I make my own now from lanoline (solid) and IPA though as I type I can't for the life of me remember the ratio.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Maven posted this 09 September 2009

The late Ed Dvoretsky used to use and recommend Groom & Clean hair dressing, which is water soluble.  I remember a comment he made in TFS about being able to recognize its scent:  Why is that man using case lube on his hair?

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 09 September 2009

Maven, you got me laughing now!

Jeff, what's IPA?

I'd never thought of hairdressing gels to do cases, this might work out.

It did work out!  The VO-5 works great, I had 100 22Hornet cases to full length size, brand new.  My fl die with the little hornets usually lets you know immediately when it runs low on lube, it pulls on the case when you try to lower it out of the die. One little dime sized dab and all hundred rounds went by.  Rubbing alcohol will cut it but, you have to wipe the cases down and then soak an old tee shirt in alcohol and wipe them down again.  The tee shirt corner had to be sopping wet with alcohol to cut it but, if you don't mind the work, it's possible.

Thank you, Mr. Harris.  To coin the phrase, “That's the slickest stuff you never got off your hands!” - the guys said that about silicone spray.

As near as I can tell from the label, VO-5 is mostly petroleum based so, stands to reason that it works that well.  I learn new things !   There's just no stopping Southern ingenuity, is there?

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 10 September 2009

Isopropyl alcohol.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Frontsite posted this 10 September 2009

I've been using Imperial Size Die Wax for years. Doing heavy forming for a 30 Herrit.

Then a buddy turned me on to Mink Oil boot dressing and “SnoSeal". The Mink oil Seems to clean off the cases easier, a few minutes in the tumbler with a half a used dryer sheet and you are good to go. I haven't had any problems with this method so far.  (I always save the used dryer sheets to add to the tumbler as they help keep the walnut media cleaner, cuts dow on the dust and seems to help polish the brass a little better.

I use the Mink Oil the most and as with the Imperial wax a little goes a long way. The tub I purchased in about 1980 is still more than 3/4 full. Maybe I'm not shooting enough.:lovecast:

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 10 September 2009

Thanks, Jeff.  Alcohol and lanolin might be worth looking into.  The VO-5 has a lot of parfum in it. It does work good though.

Mink oil would be alright, from putting it on leather, I'd guess it has to be warm.  Hmm...

Attached Files

CB posted this 11 September 2009

Hunter

I would suggest a mixture of 3 parts Anhydrous Lanolin and 1 part Vaseline. I use this on my jackets when I swage rifle bullets.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close