.357 Maximum stalking rifle

• Last Post 13 February 2021
  • Topic Is Solved
askari posted this 28 January 2021

Imagine, if you will, a nice little single-shot stalking rifle in calibre .357 Maximum.  (Of course it should be a Farquharson, but they are scarce around here.  So perhaps a TC Encore?)  The rifle should be able to shoot all the standard lead .357 bullets, including the 148 gr wadcutters.  But what if we wanted the right bullet for the occasional hyena, baboon, wallaby or racoon, say a 180-220 grain soft bullet propelled along at about 1200 feet per second?  Working range would be 50-70 yards.  What would be the right bullet?  Made by whom?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JimmyDee posted this 28 January 2021

Lyman 358430 or Ideal 357446?

Attached Files

cfp4570 posted this 28 January 2021

The 358430 (195 grain version) and the Lee C358-200 rf are both good ones. The Lee bullet has a gas check shank if you ever feel inclined to throttle it up. Accurate molds has several heavy 358 caliber molds in their catalog that I keep eyeballing.

Attached Files

Squid Boy posted this 29 January 2021

I have a 357 Herrett on a Cadet action. Very accurate with an Accurate 35-180L cast and loaded very moderately at around 1300 fps. Tom makes an excellent mold for the money. Good luck with your project. Squid Boy

"Squid Pro Quo"

Attached Files

askari posted this 29 January 2021

Great suggestions!  Thanks to all! 

Squid Boy - what alloy do you use for your Accurate 35-180L?  And do you happen to recall the dimensions you gave to Tom to make the mould?

Attached Files

max503 posted this 29 January 2021

Wallaby?  Baboon?  One of the best things about being a castbulleteer is the versatility it affords us.

Best of luck on your quest.

Attached Files

askari posted this 29 January 2021

And that's not even to mention the odd steenbok, warthog or capybara.  Cheers to all the castbulleteers on every continent and the antipodes!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 30 January 2021

I have a Ruger #3 with a 1" OD barrel in .357 Max.  A little heavy for a stalking rifle...

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 30 January 2021

I have always thought the 357 Max has potential as a short range BPRC.  180gr bullet to 200y.  Hmmmmmm.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

askari posted this 30 January 2021

Of course one would have to be careful - the black powder smoke could alert any marauding Matabele in the area.  Remember the Shangani River patrol!

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 31 January 2021

An old friend built a 357 max on a Winchester low-wall. I must say it was pretty sweet. 

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 31 January 2021

I have a nice stalking rifle with plenty of punch.

A Ruger No 3 , cal 375 Win..   aka "modern " 38-55.

Really a great versatile light stalking rifle that can be loaded for rabbits on up to medium to large game.

Runs with 38-55 2.080" brass as well as 375win brass.  235 gr Ranch dog, 255 gr and 265 gr lyman 

bullets. Or larger if a person want- go to the Lyman or similar 335 grain bullets. The 12 twist is very versatile.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
mashburn posted this 10 February 2021

A possible stalking rifle in the plans(future plans)

Your post on stalking rifles and the .357 Max. cartridge got my brain to start whirring. I've had a Falling Block Works single shot action(the little one) laying around here for years and have intended to build it into something useful but just hadn't got a serious urge to do it. it is barreled with an unchambered .22 caliber barrel at the present. I have no need or use for another .22 caliber rifle, I talked a friend of mine into building a .357 Max and he really likes it. The problem now is, I gave him all of my .357 Max brass. If I get motivated and build this thing, I can blame you, Askari, for making me do it.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 February 2021

ok, i have been waiting for someone to mention the HR Handi ... a friend converted a 38 to 357 Max ... then tore it all apart and fitted everything tight then cut the barrel to about 18 inches ... lots of fun to sneak up on those trophy Pepsi cans ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn

If anybody is interested in building such a stalking rifle, I will sell my Falling Block Works action. It is in great shape but it isn't cheap.You can have the .22 center fire barrel with it.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Ken

There is nothing wrong with building custom rifles on H&R's or handi- rifles. I like them. My favorite rifle is built on a H&R action but it doesn't look like a H&R anymore. The problem is they, like everything else has gotten so expensive.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

askari posted this 10 February 2021

Hey Mashburn,

Whirring brains are a valuable commodity - and should not be allowed to slow down when the whirring concerns new firearms projects and cast bullets. . . 

What would you have to get for your FBW action?

Askari

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 11 February 2021

Hello askari

I just sent you an PM about the FBW action. Let me know if you receive it. I think my PM's work now but am not completely sure.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

askari posted this 11 February 2021

Hi David,

Got your PM.  Thanks!  Let me pass on the very kind offer.

Dan

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 12 February 2021

What would be the right bullet?  Made by whom?

Lyman makes (or used to make) a 168gr wadcutter.  That's MY preference.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 12 February 2021

When he was leaving California for Florida (when I worked for Douglas Aircraft), a friend spent a day casting the RCBS 35-200-FN and SAECO #352 mold for his Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington. These were wheelweight alloy, sized .359 and lubed with NRA 50//50 Alox from Javelina. I have no idea what the load ended up being.

I do not know how many we cast, but we traded casting and sizing duties from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM. His wife showed up with lunch and snacks before Noon and again at 4:00 PM. We were well on our third box of gaschecks.

He reports either bullet works well on alligators and other assorted vermin in his forays into the brush. You might consider either bullet.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close