Sources for tin

• 11K Views
  • Last Post 16 May 2010
4570Ranger posted this 02 February 2009

I haven't been able to find a source for tin,not locally anyway. The other day,I unwrapped a crimp from “Tom's of Maine” toothpaste tube. I did see metal.And thought about those old toothpaste tubes of years back. Those tubes were made from tin. The tube I unwrapped a few days ago,will be finished shortly. Since we are having some nice weather,casting season ! And I'll see if this tube is actually tin or not. This is just a thought I'd throw out there. Well,there goes that idea ! Was just over at “Tom's of Maine". The tube question I asked about,a popup came about recycling the tubes. The answer was “We use 100% aluminum tubes"...... Back to square 1.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Lillard posted this 02 February 2009

I use lead free solder from Lowes most all hardware stores have it. A little high $$$$ but it works and you don't have to pay shipping. I got lucky the other day a buddy gave me 3 1lb. rolls from a big plumbing job .He said it was not soldering good  none of the bullets I cast with it has leaked   :D .

Attached Files

Thanks. I failed to mention Lowes. While there,I did a search for solder. Yep,it it pricey to say the least. $20.00~ per 1 lb spool.It has tin,copper and selenium. Might be the best alternative to date. Maybe in a couple months I'll head over to Lowes. Now,just have to secure more lead. Glad to hear that none of your bullets leaked !:D You must be the Master Plumber of Bullets.:)

Attached Files

KenK posted this 02 February 2009

Somebody on ebay is selling babbit metal that is 83% tin, the rest is antimony and copper. $10 pound including shipping.

Midway has tin $30 for two pounds.

I bought some a couple years ago from a guy that had an ad on castboolits, you might check to see if he is still around.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 02 February 2009

Granger was selling 1# rolls of lead free soldier (95% tin, I think) Close-out for $6 a roll. Just bought 10. I saw the same stuff at Lowes for $20 each.

Attached Files

Thanks Dollar Bill. I'll also check ours out as well.

Attached Files

The solder I got at lowes was Lenox brand the solder that he gave me was Dutch Boy brand it is only tin and antimony I think it cast better may be just in my head I don't know. I think the absence of cooper and selenium may be why it did not work well for the plumber. The last time I was in Lowes they had Dutch Boy and Lenox . One roll to fifty lb. of WW is still pretty cheep shooting.

Attached Files

Bill you got in while I was typing and eating supper that is a real good price.

Attached Files

Horace posted this 03 February 2009

www.rotometals.com has tin $9.99 a pound free shipping over $100

Attached Files

corerf posted this 04 February 2009

Orvac Electronics

Orvac Electronics Inc 1645 E Orangethorpe Ave Fullerton, CA 92831

High Quality 50/50, 63/37 and 60/40 bar solder. Virgin alloy, easy to cut and measure. They have access to more than their fair share of inventory here in Ca. Between 9-12 bucks per bar. You figure out the yield on each bar for weight. I don't think you have a minimum.

Similar or equal to this link at Roto. Orvac may do a bulk price based on how much you want.

http://www.rotometals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Solder6040

At least that is the place where I buy the tin content I need.

BTW.....are there any other casters in California??? Someone wave their hand at me please.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 04 February 2009

This is the Grainger link. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1ZHW2>http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1ZHW2

Can't claim to have found it. Several folks have posted over the last couple months, but they still had it in stock 2 weeks ago.

Attached Files

Sierra Joe posted this 10 February 2009

Midway sells tin in two pound increments (2-1# ingots) good stuff but a little expensive at 20.00/#. I did call Grainger today and they still had some of the lead free solder at 6.93, bought 20# but they still had more apparently.

Attached Files

conundrum374 posted this 07 March 2009

just checked, granger is sold out. that solder is discontinued. there may be some stock at the local branches.:(

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 March 2009

There is a place online called Rotometals..

They have all types of bullet alloys and tin.. Fair prices and free shipping if you spend $100.00.

http://www.rotometals.com

Attached Files

barney posted this 06 May 2009

Gentlemen, BE ADVISED! The copper and selenium in modern production lead free solder acts as a hardener. I used this stuff for years before I retired from pipefitting and plumbing. I have a bucket load of it that I collected scraps of over the years and it WILL drive the BHN up very quickly. Use it like Brylcream. “A little dab'll do ya'."

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 06 May 2009

FWIW I bought 10# of tin from Bufflao Arms Co. less than a month ago and their price dropped from $15.95/# down to $9.95/# (plus shipping).

http://www.buffaloarms.com/

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 06 May 2009

john walters 500 n. avery dr. moore, ok 73160 405-799-0376 [email protected] $10.00lb

this from his ad in the singleshot exchange april 2009

bill ferguson [email protected] 520-458-5321 per his ad in the fowling shot.

hope this helps. mike

Attached Files

3sixbits posted this 15 May 2009

Lillard wrote: The solder I got at lowes was Lenox brand the solder that he gave me was Dutch Boy brand it is only tin and antimony I think it cast better may be just in my head I don't know. I think the absence of cooper and selenium may be why it did not work well for the plumber. The last time I was in Lowes they had Dutch Boy and Lenox . One roll to fifty lb. of WW is still pretty cheep shooting.

The vary last thing I want in any melt I do, is to have copper, or selenium. These two metals are a big NO NO for a bullet caster. I'm surpriced no one has made this comment before? 

Depending on where you are, I highly recommend working with Bill Furgson. Or Rotometals. The other fellow mentioned must be first class also, or we would have heard other wise.

Attached Files

barney posted this 17 May 2009

3sixbits wrote:

The vary last thing I want in any melt I do, is to have copper, or selenium. These two metals are a big NO NO for a bullet caster.   Well, maybe I missed something in metalurgy. I've been using tin/copper/selenium/silver as an alloy additive since it came on the market(1980s?) and have never had a problem. I can drive the BHN of my bullets up from 10 all the way to well over 30 with this additive. It has never affected my pot, molds, cylinders/chambers or barrels.

Attached Files

Edward posted this 20 June 2009

For a good source of “free” tin look for old, and I mean old, refrigators or freezers (rounded tops etc.)with the exposed cooling coils on the back. If you bend them and they feel as if they are breaking as they bend, then they are tin, sometimes copper coated or colored. I always hit the old “roadside dumps” when I see old refrig or freezer. Take your wire clippers and pry the coils free and check them. If you get lucky, melt them down and clean it up and you have a good amount of tin.

Attached Files

fieldsjj posted this 21 June 2009

I have purchased tin from Rotometals also, they are legit

http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm>http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm

but I would go in with someone to get up to the free shipping next time

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close