32 ACP Options

• Last Post 17 July 2021
  • Topic Is Solved
Buhler50 posted this 16 July 2021

In 32 ACP I have a couple Colt 1903's and a Beretta 70 with ~4" barrel and 6" target barrel.  I've also got a 5.5" Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R.  Several years ago I shot a few cylinders of factory 32 ACP in the Ruger, which I thought gave me a good outlet for the hundreds of 32 ACP brass I had accumulated over the years.

I read cautions about using 32 ACP in S&W and Colt double action revolvers.  Under what conditions, if any, could or should they be used in the Ruger single actio?                  

Also I have a Lee 311-93-1R mold and wonder about using it in 32 ACP brass in the Ruger, depending on the answer to my first question, or in the other 32 ACP pistols I have? 

I look forward to your input.

Bruce in Central California

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Larry Gibson posted this 16 July 2021

"I read cautions about using 32 ACP in S&W and Colt double action revolvers.  Under what conditions, if any, could or should they be used in the Ruger single action? "

The caution stems from the fact many older S&W and Colt 32 revolvers that the 32 aCP can chamber in are chambered in 32 S&W, 32 S&WL and 32 Long Colt.  The SAAMI MAPs for all of those are below the SAAMI MAP for the 32 ACP meaning the 32 ACP s loaded "hotter", hence the caution.  

I one time shot 50+ rounds of 32 ACP factory FMJs through my Ruger SS (original run) w/o any problems.  The Ruger is quite capable of handling the CPs psi.  I did that just to see if it was feasible "just in case".  While accuracy wasn't sterling by any stretch it was sufficient for small game shooting out to 20+/- yards.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
RicinYakima posted this 16 July 2021

The other issue is that some 32 revolvers have the rear of the chamber larger than the rim of the 32 ACP case. You don't want a case of stacking tolerances leading to a bad outcome. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
M3 Mitch posted this 16 July 2021

FWIW, I have a 1903 in 32 ACP, and it's surprisingly accurate.  You know this has been re-issued by Colt, the new guns look good but are a bit pricy.   I have mostly used a Lyman 77 grain RN bullet over a moderate charge of Unique.

The original 1903 that I have anyway has very "fine" sights, as was fashionable back when it was built. The new guns have something more like Patridge sights and might be easier to shoot accurately.  That said I can cope with the fine sights just fine.

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 16 July 2021

I shot 32 acps in my Ruger Single Seven and had pierced primers. They have excess head space in this gun I've been told. This caused no issues that I could tell but it did happen . They shot beautifully.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 17 July 2021

My exact experience with a SP 101.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
David Reiss posted this 17 July 2021

The newest FS has an article on .32s by the prolific writer and CBA member, Ed Harris. I will be sending it out this week end to those who get it by email and the hard copies are on the way. 

Another great one by Ed. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Buhler50 posted this 17 July 2021

Thanks for relating experiences about shooting 32 ACP in Rugers.  The pressure precaution makes sense.  The comments about excess head space prompted me to look up the following information.

I found cartridge measurements in the 1981 NRA Handloading book that shows the 32 ACP rim thickness is .045 -.011 inches and 32 S&W Long rim thickness is .055 -0.10 inches. Based on this information 32 ACP in a revolver designed for 32 S&W Long, which I assume is the same rim as 32 HR Magnum, would have excess head space of .010 inches. 

I've got lots of 32ACP brass, some 32 HR Magnum brass and no 32 S&W long.  I would like to plink with loads made from 32ACP in my Ruger so at 32 ACP pressures or less and an expected excess head space is there any reason I not to I should limit my use of them?

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 17 July 2021

If you get pierced primers you should stop using the 32 ACP. A few will not hurt, but continued firing with pierced primers can damage the firing pin requiring replacement.

Steve

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 17 July 2021

The .327 Federal uses small rifle primers. These go off fine in my Ruger. This might get you around the pierced primers. 

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 17 July 2021

The issue for me was not the rim thickness, but the diameter. The case rim 32 ACP SAAMI minimum is .350" and a 32 H&R chamber can be .344". On my Ruger, the chambers were greater than .350" as some brands simply fell into the chamber. Some so deep the firing pin could not reach them. 

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 17 July 2021

Issue with the Colt revoivers is that the .32 ACP rim diameter is smaller than the firing pin bushing in the frame, and given the excess headspace condition the case "pistons" forcefully against the recoil plate, eventually setting it back so that it must be reset and restaked.  About a $100 gunsmith repair these days. 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Close