1905 S&W 4th Change suggestions

• Last Post 31 March 2023
G.Chapman posted this 31 March 2023

Hey Everybody!  I picked up this 1905 4th change in 32-20,  6" barrel, adjustable sights. It's been "around the block", but locks up tight and is mechanically very sound. All in all a nice old revolver that would be a great cast bullet project for me...EXCEPT: the barrel is totally " roached out"!  As you can see in the picture, there is a deep circumferential gouge all the way around the bore about an inch from the muzzle. I have no idea how someone did that! The rest of the bore is no peach either.  Anyway, would this revolver be worth the cost/hassle of re-barreling? Would anyone out there happen to have a barrel they'd be willing to sell?  Any other ideas about sourcing a barrel, or thoughts about the possibility of having a liner installed?

Thanks in advance.  I always value and appreciate your expertise and input!

-Gary Chapman

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 31 March 2023

OK, I have shot these for over 50 year. You have a revolver that had a post WW2 jacketed bullet stuck in the barrel and someone  shot another round behind it. It is not the end of the world. These have soft metal and will work with some loads.

With that said, they will shoot very well with lead bullets like 311008 or 311316 over 3.0 + Bullseye. 

I have had them rebarreled and relined, but they grouped never much better the original screwed up barrel . Work with what you have for a year or two before you do something else. 

FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
G.Chapman posted this 31 March 2023

Thanks Ric!  You know, once you pointed out the obvious I can't believe I didn't figure it out myself.  Absolutely was a stuck bullet with a chaser!  I have put 20 or 30 rounds through it with bullets out of a great old Ideal 31357 mould I have, with 3 gr. of TiteGroup, and it actually did group better than what one would imagine considering the damage done to the bore.  Taking your advice I'll play with a different bullet or two and see what I can squeeze out of the old girl before going the "major surgery" route.

I appreciate you passing on your experience!

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 31 March 2023

I agree.  See how it shoots.  Mine is the best shooting revolver I own.

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 31 March 2023

Well I learned something today! Thanks guys.

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

bullshop posted this 31 March 2023

How about shortening the barrel ?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Alstep posted this 31 March 2023

Nice revolver, but what a shame about the bore.  Like others have said, shoot it and see how it goes.  With a little luck, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Close