Inherent accuracy 44 vs 41

• 3.5K Views
  • Last Post 12 November 2011
Lefty posted this 06 January 2008

I recently acquired a Ruger BH 41 mag and a Ruger SBH 44 mag.  Both guns have 4 5/8 barrels.  The 44 mag is  significantly more accurate, subject of course to the limitations of trifocal eyes.  In the past I had a similar experience with the accuracy of indentical Ruger Redhawks.  My question is what is the prevailing wisdom on the inherent accuracy of these two calibers?  Is the 41 simply less accurate or have I likely settled on a less than optimal load in my 41s?  The load I am using is 6.5 grains of unique under a 210 gr swc.  My 44 mag load is 7.5 gr of unique under a 240 gr swc.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

I hate to clutter up handguns but it may be time to try red dot sights.  Any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive model?

Thanks

Lefty

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Tom Acheson posted this 07 January 2008

Hi Lefty, I'm a bit biased toward the .41 having shot it in silhouette matches since 1980 and having taken (21) Mule Deer with it (iron sights) in Wyoming going bcak to 1982...all with cast bullets. You just need to try more powders. Try AA#9, H-110, H-4227 and VV N-110 with 220-230-grain gas checked bullets sized .411".

Have fun!

Tom

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 07 January 2008

I don't think there is any inherent difference in accuracy potential between the .41 and .44, it's just that there is far more collective experience with the .44 as to determining “what works.” The .41 just may require a bit more experimentation to find the “sweet spot.” A friend has had good results in his using 5 grs. of Bullseye with the NEI #223 Cowboy Style FN.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 08 January 2008

Years ago the RCBS 41-210 KT plain base bullet and 7.0 of Bullseye shot fairly well for the NRA Hunter's Pistol or the IHMSA Field Pistol silhouette events. May have been about 1000-1100 fps out of an 8 3/8” S&W Model 57 but can't recall. There are a lot of different loads being used around the country by silhouette shooters at 50/100/150/200 meters and iron sights in Freedom Arms .41's but the loads are generally unlisted in manuals.

Ed is right...accuracy difference-assuming optimum loads in each gun-are insignificant. Keep in mind that you may have to size bullets for Ruger products a bit bigger than other makers revolvers.

Tom

Attached Files

ubetcha posted this 16 January 2008

I had asked a similar question on Huntingnet.com web site about the 41 Mag for hog hunting.One person posted a web site that seemed interesting and maybe helpful for you.The web address is http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/41heavy.htm>http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/41heavy.htm

The author of the article does some comparisons between the 41 and 44 in his experience and give some loads he uses

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 17 January 2008

You need to watch some of Paco's loads. I wouldn't put many of them in MY guns.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 January 2008

Tom Acheson wrote: Ed is right...accuracy difference-assuming optimum loads in each gun-are insignificant. Keep in mind that you may have to size bullets for Ruger products a bit bigger than other makers revolvers.

Tom

Amen Tom. Every handgun is a little different when you're talking accuracy, even between two Super Blackhawks.

The argument between the 41 and 44 magnum is as old as its forthcoming in 1963. My Chevy truck is better than your Chevy truck cause mine has a 5.3L V8 yours has a 4.8L V8. Both trucks will practically get the job done, as will both 41 and 44 magnum.

Yep, Pacos' loads are hot. H110 and Blue Dot are probably the most powerful powders for magnums. It isn't so much about the performance, but if you can handle the performance. Hunting is about making a correct shot placement, not being able to blow something into next week.  :)..................Dan

Attached Files

Buzzard Bill posted this 10 November 2011

I have a Ruger Blackhawk with a 4 5/8” barrel in 41 mag that I have had since the early 70's,never shot it much because I could not hit anything with it due to the harsh recoil. When I started reloading and casting bullets I stumbled on a load with a 210 gr. plain based bullet and 4.8 gr. of Titegroup. It is pleasant to shoot and extremly !!!! accurate it is now one of my favorite guns to shoot.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 10 November 2011

I have shot a Ruger BH in 42 mag since the mid sixties.  I have found it to be accurate with both mild and rockem sockem full power loads, it is harder to hit when the gun makes a really big bang.  I have never found any difference between the performance on game between the 41 and 44 magnums. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 12 November 2011

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 12 November 2011

That would be a 41 mag . Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Close