IF YOU OWN A BERETTA TOMCAT - Check for frame crack!

• 2.9K Views
  • Last Post 08 October 2016
Ed Harris posted this 22 September 2016

A Magnum Opus on heavy loads for the .32 ACP < for use in suitably strong, STEEL framed guns> is being submitted soon for The Fouling Shot, but important safety information needs to get out now and not wait for publication!

My advice is to severely limit loads producing over 130 ft.-lbs. to occasional/emergency use only in micro pistols like the Beretta Tomcat for two reasons: 

1) because they may cause serious “slide bite” if you have meaty hands and don't use a Hogue Grip Sleeve, as I painfully found out. And 

2) after prolonged firing, they are “frame crackers.” 

My Beretta Model 3032 INOX Tomcat until recently had digested over 2000 rounds of hot Euro and heavy bullet hand loads before eventually failing. 

If you own a Beretta Tomcat, open the tip-up barrel and inspect the frame rail above the trigger pivot hole for cracks, as shown in the photo. 

Beretta doesn't “repair or replace” these any more, nor do they warrant them for use with hand loads or ammunition which exceeds 130 ft.-lbs. manufacturer's rating. 

If you choose to use “hot” loads in yours, then you are on “your own nickel.”

I will continue to use my Tomcat as a teaching tool to demonstrate the advantages of the tip-up barrel for women or elderly who have trouble racking the slide, but any shooting will be VERY limited from now on, with more sedate loads than my hand loaded “Buffalo Bore” approximations. 

I still have no reservations firing the heavy .32 ACP loads in STEEL FRAME, standard sized guns such as the Colt M1903, Walther PP, Beretta M1935, CZ27, etc., replacing recoil springs with the heavier Wolff .380 ACP replacements where available.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 22 September 2016

thanks ed.

ken

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 22 September 2016

Thanks Ed. My SIL has one,I'll show him this pic. Gp

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 24 September 2016

Ours is not cracked. Will watch for it.

Slim

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 28 September 2016

IIRC aluminum has a finite fatigue life at any level of stress, while if stress is kept below a threshold level, steels have an essentially infinite fatigue life.

That said, my Walther PP, a West German police turn-in, bought about 15 years ago, has an aluminum frame. While it's full sized as .32s go, I would think a steady diet of Buffalo Bore equivalent would not be a good idea in that gat. For that matter maybe my Colt 1903 is a little long in the tooth for such a spicy diet as well, even though the frame is steel.

Attached Files

4570sharps posted this 02 October 2016

I had a Taurus clone that cracked at the barrel hinge.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 02 October 2016

Like this?

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

LIMPINGJ posted this 07 October 2016

Ed do you have any thoughts on this level of loads in a larger alloy frame like the Beretta 80 series?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 08 October 2016

I have been shooting them in a 1955 production alloy frame version of the M1935, aka Puma, replacing the recoil spring with the Wolff intended for the 1934 in .380. Carefully inspecting frame for peening and so far, so good.

Also shooting them in mid-1960s, steel frame former German police Walther PP, and a circa 1920 Colt Pocket Hammerless Type III, those also running Wolff replacement recoil springs for the .380, and have been running fine.

Attached Files

Close