Odd question, plugging a Rem 742 gas port

• 1.3K Views
  • Last Post 17 July 2016
corerf posted this 12 July 2016

I have a couple of very very nice Rem 742 take off barrels that would make fine donors for some rifles.Id need to remove the gas block and plug the hole! Is that something that can be done by conventional means, like a set screw and loctite?Do I need to TIG? Someone throw me a legitimate bone please? Ive see the fear!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Premod70 posted this 12 July 2016

There's not much that can be done to a barrel with a hole in it other than shoot it as is, donate them to a 742 owner would be my suggestion.

Forrest Gump is my smarter brother.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 July 2016

How far back is the gas port from tbe muzzle? Would make some inexpensive .32 pistol barrels for projects, or maybe an insert tube for a shotgun?

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 13 July 2016

i have just spent 6 weeks working on a 742 a friend bot as a gunsmith special on GB ... we are up to 8 shots in a row now ... heh ...

i can see why those barrels are in good shape ..., the action will go long before the barrel ... these eat their way out from the inside...at least in 'o6 . sure are fun to shoot tho ....

are both barrels 30-06 ?? very common but if 280 rem /270/etc. that would be worth keeping whole ...heck i might be interested .

i think you could tig a rivet in the port ok ....but can the breech threads be adapted to something else ?? if you have the adapter off i would like to see a pic of the breech end .

just some thoughts .

ken

Attached Files

corerf posted this 13 July 2016

Ed and Ken:

port is about 10 inches from breach, on a 22 or 24 inch barrel.

Both are 30-06, internally EXCEPTIONAL. Such a waste of a good hammer forged barrel.

If someone is interested Ill make a cheap deal of them.

As to the breach, the back end unscrews. I believe thereafter its a basic threaded barrel. Id trim it down to liner dimensions and stick it into something.

Ed I dont do pistol projects. If you have a project in mind, let me know.

Stepped mauser barrels seem like they would shape up into a liner easy. These tapered deals will be a little more difficult.

I was just thinking out loud. If I get a nice part, I try to find a use.

One has a nice set of removable sights (rear is missing a part or two), thought worst case was Id rob the front sight ramps.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 16 July 2016

10” out from the chamber a weld might hold up okay. Said weld will be facing down in the original action. How big is the bleed hole? A plug and a patch tigged over the plug may work. One could get a lot of weld surface this way and the patch could be drilled and tapped for a sling swivel.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 17 July 2016

After looking at some pictures online for myself I'd grind the block containing the bleed hole until it faced up and fry into it with a good mig weld. The boss will be a good heat sink. If a counter bore was drilled in first a real good weld would happen.

Attached Files

Close