Load data for 8X58R Danish

• 2.6K Views
  • Last Post 12 July 2016
weldaj posted this 09 July 2016

I have looked around the web and cant find any load data for a 8X58R Danish rolling block.  I posted on Cast Boolits also.  Any help for a cast bullet load that is safe in the old Rolling block would be a big help.ThanksJon

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 10 July 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=9647>weldaj

The cartridge design is similar,  in the shape/volume of other smokeless center-fire rifle cartridges that are suitable for H4895 and Hodgdon's 60% rule for reduced recoil/youth loads.

You don't have data to suggest the MAXIMUM of H4895 for your cartridge but you can safely use 60% of your available case volume with a bullet seated for a START or Target load.

Those 60% loads of H4895 very generally produce excellent accuracy for cast bullets in center-fire rifles.

Also, If you are loading for a Danish Rolling Block, I don't think you are looking for hot loads. Bite the bullet and get some H4895, it is the only rifle powder recommended by the maker for reduced loads in rifles and it is very compatible in pressure curve for cast pullets, giving a “soft start” that enhances cast bullet accuracy.

IMR Trailboss with it's general instructions for use, also apply to your cartridge.

Personally, I use H4895 with cast bullets in all my cartridges from .223 Rem. to .458 Win Mag and I am always confident I can find a load with H4895 and cast bullets whenever I try something new in rifle/cast.

Don't sit and wait for data to roll in. Load cast bullets with 60% H4895 and start shooting.

NOTE: if you have any doubt, contact Hodgdon Powders and ask them if their 60% Rule for H4895 is suitable or not for your particular cartridge. Rifles in that caliber are generally old, the opinion of a good gunsmith on the shoot-ability of the rifle supersedes finding a load.....I don't know your rifle!

Gary

Attached Files

weldaj posted this 10 July 2016

Thanks GaryI do have 4895 so will give it a try.  Ill will use the 60% rule to get me started. Thanks again.Jon

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 10 July 2016

weldaj wrote: Thanks GaryI do have 4895 so will give it a try.  Ill will use the 60% rule to get me started. Thanks again.Jon Jon, I hope you will post pictures of your rifle, new ammo that you make, and a fired target group.

If your rifle is old with a less than ideal bore and is dark with some pitting and erosion, my bore polishing method will help with accuracy. The polishing will reduce the abrasion a rough bore causes on cast bullets. My method:

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=8364&forum_id=63>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=8364&forumid=63

Also, the most basic rule for cast bullet fit in rifles is to use a bullet diameter that you verify with ink on a loaded round. Ink the bullet, chamber the round and un-chamber  the round. The best fit will show the ink  on your bullet's first driving band slightly scrubbed all the way around by your chamber throat. Smaller diameter bullets won't get a stable start and they will wobble down the bore and then shoot all over the place.

The low pressure of H4895 60% loads works best with softer bullet alloys like straight wheel-weight or reclaimed shot as cast and not drop chilled. The 60% loads will not require gas checks and simple tumble lube like Lee Liquid Alox or White's 45:45:10 Deluxe works well.

Let's see some pictures!

Gary

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 12 July 2016

I've used 12 to 14 grs of Unique with the Lee 200 gr cast bullets in the 8x58Rmm.

You might have to tinker with bullet hardness for best results.

Jack

Attached Files

Close