H&G 333 and similar short wadcutters

• Last Post 17 June 2016
M3 Mitch posted this 16 June 2016

Looking at old H&G catalogs and Ballisti-Cast's current catalog, I see the Dean Grennell designed 333 and similar very short wadcutter bullet molds are still available.  For example the 333 or 933 as it is now cataloged is about 62 grains for .38/.357 revolvers.

Anyone here used these?  I guess the point is to get a lot of bullets out of a pound of alloy, and/or to minimize recoil.  Don't know if anyone uses them in serious competition, have never heard of that, based on this wonder if they are capable of the accuracy that a “regular” wadcutter is.  On the other hand, seems to me old Dean knew something about shooting, so these probably have some merit.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 16 June 2016

They were used in the 1970's for indoor gallery Bullseye shooting for a while. Then everybody went to .45's for centerfire stage. Charlie Askins loaded three of them in 357 Mag cases and got 18 bullets per cylinder full. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 16 June 2016

Thanks Ric. Do you think they would be a waste of time for anything beyond typical indoor ranges, or might be OK out to 25-30 yards or so?

Have you shot any yourself?

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 16 June 2016

I've shot the lightweights. They did not ever hit anywhere near the sights. BTW, NOE has them cheaper than Ballisticast ever will.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=35&osCsid=bgm70q7lujus459kjeufv15q47

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 17 June 2016

I would expect them to shoot lower than a heavier bullet. Not having any practical experience with these, I don't know if they shoot a little low, and any revolver with adjustable sights can put them on target say at 25 yards, or if they shoot much lower than that.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 17 June 2016

M3, I still use the 95 grain Lyman because it shoots to the same POI as 110 grain HP's in the Colt Cobra. I have in the past loaded three in 357 brass for off duty carry in a 2 1/2” Model 19. It takes about 10 yards for them to separate. Are they practical? I think just a fun thing to do, but not something you would want to get serious about. HTH< Ric

Attached Files

Close