.32 S&W long.

• 1.4K Views
  • Last Post 13 July 2016
Rich22 posted this 05 June 2016

Greetings All ! Wishing comments. Yesterday at a grad party a nephew told me about his (bought at auction) Rossi model 89 in .32 S&W long caliber.Model is in stainless steel, 3” barrel, fixed sights. In like new condition with some shipping greese still on it.Question I have is value? and good loads for the piece. The exterior fit and appearance is quiet good. Machining is also fine. (on the exterior)Im aware of the nemic .32 Long status, and would like comments as too its value? any help will be appreciated!Thanks All.    

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 05 June 2016

The Rossi revolvers bring a bit less than half of what the comparable model S&W would bring in the same condition, probably $250-300 for the stainless model you have.

The RCBS 32-98SWC is a good bullet in the .32 S&W Long and either 2.2 grains of Bullseye, 2.5 grains of 231 or 5.5 grains of #2400 will approximate factory loads.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 08 July 2016

For those of you who may remember the Q&A in The Fouling Shot from a reader in India inquiring about the .32 S&W Long, Ric Bowman was kind enough to make me a meplat file-trim die as described from the Q&A so that I can make flat-nosed rounds from mild factory LRN ones to shoot in my circa 1920 Colt Pocket Positive.

Here is the pleasing result.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 08 July 2016

As many of you know, I have been a great fan of the .32 S&W Long with appropriate bullets and loads for edible small game as well as the range.

They are FAR superior to the .22 rimfire (great stopping power without excess meat damage). One of the best outdoor sports of all time is hunting edible small game with a suitable handgun (and in my case that means a revolver). The .32 S&W Long is one of those I have often chosen to use when woodswalking...

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
Ed Harris posted this 08 July 2016

Dale53 has this all figured out. And in a rifle is exceedingly pleasant too, though building one requires a bit of determination.

Here is a picture showing the profiles of factory 98 LRN vs. the clipped and trimmed FN. The resemblance of the Accurate 31-090B to the profile and weight of the modified factory load IS intentional.  

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 09 July 2016

32-20 is fairly similar, bit easier to find a rifle in, but revolvers are not as common. The brass is more delicate, it burns a bit more powder to do the same job.

In both calibers if you want to really take advantage of what it can do in a rifle, you end up with rounds that should not be used in the revolver, IMHO best to make them with longer bullets that won't fit in the cylinder so as to “idiot-proof” things. Or just apply the KISS principle and carry one load, all of them full-length sized, all of them OK to use in wheel-gun or rifle. I think I like that last idea best, so as not to add a worrisome complication to pleasant woods-rambling!

Attached Files

TheMrNotSoFamous posted this 09 July 2016

I shoot the same 2.2gr. of Bullseye load Ed mentioned above but with a 100 gr. bullet. It's my most accurate load, so far. That load has accounted for many bouncing bunnies and squirrels. Great caliber for small game hunting with a handgun. Much better killing power than any .22LR out of a handgun.

Owning a firearm doesn't make you armed anymore than owning a guitar makes you a musician...words of Jeff Cooper

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 July 2016

Some more eye candy to bump the thread.

M3 Mitch posted this 13 July 2016

I have found, like you show here, that old Colts with fixed sights generally shoot pretty close to point of aim, provided you use a reasonably close to standard load. The .32 S&W is easy to make shoot, it shoots like the 2/3 scale model of a .38 Special that it is.

Attached Files

Close