Identifying Cailber of Old Revolver

• Last Post 04 May 2016
GBertolet posted this 20 April 2016

I was gifted an antique 32 cal revolver some time ago. It is a nickel break top 6 shot, with a 3” barrel. It has Forehand Arms, Worcester Mass stamped on it, but no caliber. Some 32 S&W long ammo came with the revolver, which I shot. Function was fine, but accuracy was terrible with much leading. I put it away and it sat for many years. Upon renewed interest, as a result of more recent analysis, I noticed the cylinder is bored straight through. A .313 bullet through a .330 cylinder will certainly lead. I wonder if this revolver is chambered for the 32 long colt, which has a heeled bullet. I would seem logical, but how would you know for sure? If this turns out to be so, can I still use my 32 S&W long dies to load this round? Crimping might be a problem. I would have to find a heeled bullet mold also.  It may get to the point of diminished returns, to spend a whole lot of money to load for this antique. Maybe just settle for factory ammo if I can find any. Any info would be appreciated. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 21 April 2016

I believe you are correct: early 32 Colt (most likely short) for the heeled bullet. Another alternative is to use a HB wadcutter bullet, in 32 S&W long brass if it will chamber. I shoot black powder in my oldies, wash in the sink, blow dry and WD-40.

Attached Files

GBertolet posted this 30 April 2016

I did some more research, and found that this revolver was made between 1890 and 1902. This makes it in the black powder era. The barrel has some pitting, undoubtably from not being cleaned from ancient use with BP. I believe now it is chambered in 32 S&W Long. I think a commercial swaged HB WC would be the bullet to use, due to the oversized cylinder throats. Maybe put an additional coat of LLA on the bullets for additional insurance. Would using only the starting smokeless loads in the Lyman manual be safe to use? I see also that Hodgdon has pocket pistol data in their Cowboy manual. Although it has been fired with smokeless before, I don't think factory 32 S&W is loaded very heavy. Loading with BP or Pyrodex is another alternative, although not a very attractive one, but maybe necessiary in the end.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 02 May 2016

I think if your cylinder is bored straight through, it's actually chambered for .32 Colt. Since .32 Colt brass is likely to be hard to find, or at least harder than .32 S&W, probably a custom mold to cast a heeled bullet, then load that in .32 S&W brass, might work. I don't know about the strength of the revolver, although would say in general probably not too strong, probably starting loads are OK, but if you have doubts maybe talk with a gunsmith who is familiar with these old guns.

Attached Files

GBertolet posted this 04 May 2016

Thanks M3 Mitch, I have now come to believe that the 32 colt cases with the heeled bullet, are actually smaller in diameter size than the 32 S&W longs are. Actual bullet diameter size in fact, just like the 22 rimfire is. The advertised bullet diameters for the 32 colt are .313- .314, just like the 32 S&W long is, so this reinforces my belief. The cylinder on this revolver is rather small, so I would not push pressures too much. I suspect that the cylinder being bored all the way through at case diameter, was for a cost saving measure, rather than for some technical reason. I also suspect the only practical solution is to use a HB bullet, in the 32 S&W long cases, cast dead soft, depending on obturation to do its job through the cylinder. Heavily coating the bullet with LLA, should help protect it somewhat from flame cutting while in the cylinder. Hopefully someone who has experience with the 32 colt, will chime in and share their knowledge about the differences in these two cartridges.

Attached Files

Close