Hi-Tek Powdered Coating

• 5.7K Views
  • Last Post 16 April 2016
OU812 posted this 24 March 2016

Per instructions, but smaller amount I mixed 1 Tablespoon Hi-Tek powder to 1.75 ozs acetone in small squirt bottle. Put 70 bullets (22 caliber 62 grain LBT) in small plastic drink cup. Squirted a small amount into cup then shook bullets around for 30 seconds until caoated. Let air dry 1 hour on aluminum window screen. Then baked @390 degrees for 10 minutes on window screen.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

After baking 10 minutes color is Gun Metal...or close to it. Usually 2 coats are required. One more coat is needed. This is my first try.

Attached Files

Here's second coat. Bullets look like Moly coated bullets in indirect light.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 25 March 2016

I practiced on the LBT bullets first before going to the NOE pointed bullets. I found that to get a more uniform coat you must keep tumbling bullets in cup until all liquid solvent has evaporated.

Attached Files

Doing lots better now. The 2 coats add about .0015-.002 thickness to bullet. Plain base bullet is coated at base to protect much like gas check. I sized the noses of the coated bullets in picture to .221, bands .225.

http://hi-performancebulletcoatings.com/hi-tek-supercoat-powder-7-oz-container/>http://hi-performancebulletcoatings.com/hi-tek-supercoat-powder-7-oz-container/

Attached Files

The LBT bullet on right. Gas check did not have to be flaired to fit...easy snap on without shaving. The long bearing surface section of the LBT requires longer leade/throat. The NOE bore rider requires a very short factory throat. I have a rifle for each. 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 March 2016

sometime..... after you get a baseline it would be interesting to try a single, incomplete coat .

your reports are eagerly awaited ... hey did you know you can get some great groups at night ... less wind ...just need a light on the target ...oh, bring some bug spray ... heh ...

ken

Attached Files

Instructions say not to atomize or spray coating onto bullet...tumble only. I believe this stuff can be sprayed if gun is agitated well during spraying.

Instructions also say not to size before applying coating. I sized a few before coating and coating sticks just as well.

More solvent and less powder should produce smoother appearance.

Next I will be working on bore ride fit. Sizing for snug chambering without bullet being pushed back into case.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: sometime..... after you get a baseline it would be interesting to try a single, incomplete coat .

your reports are eagerly awaited ... hey did you know you can get some great groups at night ... less wind ...just need a light on the target ...oh, bring some bug spray ... heh ...

ken

Ken,  I will go shooting next week...too much going on to test right now. Hopefully the winds will be Very light.

Zombie Killer ;)

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 25 March 2016

Thanks for sharing your experiment, OU812.  :)

I've tested Hi-Tek in one rifle, but will be doing some more and different tests to see if I missed something the first time around.

You seem to have got the hang of it.  I would only add that their recommended baking temp seems to be a bit high and it's easy to “burn” it, which makes it brittle and more prone to flake off.      I seem to remember that I experimented with as low as 350F.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 26 March 2016

OK I will turn the temp down to 350. There was no flaking during sizing bore ride section or bands, although I did notice some flaking on copper gas check. I will try installing gas check only after coating.

BTW bullets are a snug fit with noses sized at .221 and are not pushed back during chambering. I have a few loaded and will test Tuesday or Wednesday.

These longer 80 grain linotype bullets (actually 73.5 grains) have just one coat baked at 350 degrees. I will try shooting them at higher velocities (2100-2500 fps) to see if they will stabilize in 1-12 twist...will try AO, V133, V135, and Varget powder using 70,80,90 percent from minimum rule.

Most Zombie ideas I have do not work, but maybe this will ? 

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 30 March 2016

Here are results of the Hi-Tek coating. The shorter 62,72 grain bullets (trimmed down 80 gr) did shoot in the 1-12 twist barrel, but the longer 80 grain did not. I brushed and pushed a dry patch down barrel between each group. Dry patch was a little difficult to push down barrel...fouling cause by bullet coating maybe. I believe grouping would have been better without the Hi-Tek coating.  

Attached Files

Rifle and range.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 30 March 2016

Thanks for posting the targets.    Good shooting.  :) Any estimate on the velocities?   Low teens ? I've got some hi-tek bullets in the furnace at the moment, ramping the temperature up gradually to see at what point the coating will melt or otherwise fail.   Will repeat with other coatings.

Attached Files

The 62 and 72 grain bullets were cast using 12 bhn birdshot alloy. Velocity about 1600-1800 using 6.5 grains of AO and Tite Group.

The 80 grain bullets were cast using Linotype alloy. Velocity about 2100-2300 using 17 grains of V133, and 18 grains of V135.

I will shoot all three different weight bullets again, but without Hi-Tek coating. I am sure they will do better using just the LBT. All will be cast using the Birdshot alloy.

Attached Files

Where do you get your birdshot?   Recycled, or new?

Attached Files

I purchase new Eagle Magnum birdshot from Roto Metals (12 bhn). I purchased the new Lawrence Magnum brand (14 bhn, more antimony) directly from Lawrence. When melting down new shot the graphite will rise to top of melt. Lawrence brand has way more graphite that must be skimmed off. Do Not inhale fumes!! Arsenic!!

I am thinking the new lead shot would not be contaminated with other metals such as bismuth and zinc.

Attached Files

Right, you never know for sure what is in reclaimed shot.

Though the reclaimed shot I got from Rotometals cast very nicely, and heat treated to 40 - 45 BHN.    Tough to melt down the first time, though.  

Attached Files

My new lead shot melted down very easily? I melted it down in a Lee 20 lb pot. The Lawrence brand (25 lb bag) had about one inch thick graphite floating on top when melted. The Eagle brand had about 1/4 inch graphite floating.

The harder Lawrence brand (14 bhn) seems to shoot better in my 223.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 March 2016

ou812::

great report.

did the longer 80 gr. show ” tumbling ” or just big groups ??

looking for more of your tests .

ken

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 March 2016

maybe grooves in bullets should be filled with uncompressable ” grease ” and not compressible powder .

or the other way around .

i love variables, .... they are so variable ...

ken

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close