Hi-Tek Powdered Coating

• 5.7K Views
  • Last Post 16 April 2016
OU812 posted this 24 March 2016

Per instructions, but smaller amount I mixed 1 Tablespoon Hi-Tek powder to 1.75 ozs acetone in small squirt bottle. Put 70 bullets (22 caliber 62 grain LBT) in small plastic drink cup. Squirted a small amount into cup then shook bullets around for 30 seconds until caoated. Let air dry 1 hour on aluminum window screen. Then baked @390 degrees for 10 minutes on window screen.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
OU812 posted this 16 April 2016

Here are the bullets pictured...again.

Attached Files

4 of my flyers went into the same hole with this group. I will load up more of the 75 grain bullets to test. I was surprised the 75 grain bullets show potential in the 1-12 twist barrel

Attached Files

Today my best groups were shot using the shorter 75 grain bullets (trimmed shank off .035) . I only had a handful loaded, so just a couple of sample groups shown. There was some tilting, but these shot the best. Aimed at Orange #5

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 13 April 2016

ou812:

0h 0h ...i think i detect another serious project coming up ...

go for it !!

ken

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 13 April 2016

Today it was too windy to shoot, so I stayed home and internet shopped. I ordered a Shilen short chambered barrel in 223 Remington 1-9 twist chrome moly. Hopefully the bore diameter is .219 or smaller with six grooves.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 12 April 2016

I will try to go target shooting tomorrow. Today I will cast a few bullets using 1-20 alloy, tumble in sand then coat entire bullet using SPG and LBT lube. I am thinking the softer alloy will orbutrate (spelling...I mean swell) better in larger throat and be more accurate. Tite Group powder will be used.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 10 April 2016

gpidaho wrote: Yup, pushing plain base 8-10 BHN coated bullets to 3100fps. Got a link, with targets?

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 07 April 2016

OUB12: That sounds more than reasonable to me. It would make it much easier for you than cutting down the bullets. You might think about just getting another mould that fits your needs. Never can tell when an eight or nine twist 22 might end up in your collection. Gp

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 07 April 2016

I contacted Eric Ohlen to ask him if he could mill off top of mould to shorten bullet or remove gas check shank. Here is his response.

"On most molds we can get away with it. Are there alignment pins near the top? How about pivot screw lock screws? If there is nothing to interfere then no problem, about $30 with return shipping.

Erik"

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 06 April 2016

I know Ken, I still have a couple of boxes of the “Black Talons” in 45ACP Nothing new under the sun. Gp

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 06 April 2016

re: new and amazing syn-tech bullets ... i shot up a couple boxes of smith y wesson poly-coated 9mm ...back in the late 1980's ..

probably before their time ...

ken

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 05 April 2016

This goes to handgun ammo and is a well plowed field but I find it interesting that Federal Premium is jumping onboard with the new “Syntech” ammunition. http://gunsandammo.com/shot-show-2016/first=look-american-eagle-syntech-ammo/

Attached Files

Leaving personal grudges behind and sorting through the posts I've found very useful information posted on “Boolits” “Does he say” Yup, pushing plain base 8-10 BHN coated bullets to 3100fps. He's consulting with a man that has a PHD in polymer applications and the people at Prysmatic powders in researching the possibilities of this type of application. Gp

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 05 April 2016

gpidaho wrote: I would like to let the man speak for himself, but anyone interested in big steps forward in HV cast and alternative coatings (Creating a true polymer jacket) would do well by reading “Dragonheart"'s posts of the last couple of weeks at our sponsor “Boolits” Well worth reading in my opinion. GpSomething worth reading at Boolits?   That would be new.  :D

From one of his posts: I don't have a lot of test targets to post as I record my tests and keep the results in a spreadsheet. I am also hesitant to post load data on an open forum. Basically, I do all my tests from a well secured Ransom Rest confirming the handgun returns to the same position with a dial caliper. I believe that taking the human element out as much as possible is the only way to get a true compairson for a load. I shoot 5 round chronographed groups and repeat only if a group shows promise. I have run tests using guns from a number of manufactures Glock, Sig, Walther, Kimber, Colt, S&W. Typically all my tests are done at 25 yards. Well, as we used to say “it's a free country” so if he enjoys shooting pistols at 25 yards and not posting targets, more power to him.   But I'm not going to waste my time reading that sort of stuff.

I agree with Dragonheart's view that coatings function as a “jacket.”   But how does a jacket function?     He doesn't say.    

Attached Files

I would like to let the man speak for himself, but anyone interested in big steps forward in HV cast and alternative coatings (Creating a true polymer jacket) would do well by reading “Dragonheart"'s posts of the last couple of weeks at our sponsor “Boolits” Well worth reading in my opinion. Gp

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 05 April 2016

79.3 grain vs. 75 grain with shorter gas check shank.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 05 April 2016

I shortened the gas check shank so that gas check will be flush with first band. Maybe these shorter versions will stabilize in the 1/12 twist barrel.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 04 April 2016

ou812.....a match quality barrel is a statistically good move ... but

a precision setback, rechamber and rethroat of a * lucky * factory barrel can do wonders ...

ken

oh, if a rem 700, and you can get a good throat by setback is 1 or 2 threads, you don't really have to do the hassle of new threads ... there are plenty of extra threads there already ....this is if it is your own barrel ...

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 04 April 2016

The .220 diameter bore ride section has a good snug slip fit in muzzle end of barrel (six rifle land marks on bullet).

When loaded round is chambered there is only one rifle land engraved on bore ride section. This tells me I have to size larger .221 - .222. The factory throat of Remington is getting larger...not good.

A new custom barrel with tighter throat will really help make these bullets shoot best.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 04 April 2016

Worked on a 5'X 12' Storage area at my house today, got it all cleaned out and a lockable door put on. My new Powder coating-lead casting shop. Yea! No more having to tear down and set up every time I want to coat some bullets. Shop dedicated compressed air and vacuum system and plenty of enclosed storage. Going to be nice. Gp

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close