New Project - 44 WCF Revolver

• Last Post 26 February 2016
oscarflytyer posted this 26 February 2016

Picked up a Cimarron Model P in 44-40 the other day.  Too good a deal to pass up.  Plus I LOVE Big Bore SA Revolvers.  44-40/'bottle neck pistol' is a new caliber to me.  Heard all the reloading horror stories, but bought it anyway.  After a little reasonable research, no worries at all. I slugged the chamber mouths.  All .431.  Perfect - all the same, AND I already have the Lee 44-200 RNFP mold, that drops a .431-.432 bullet, albeit at 217 grns, with my alloy.  Little heavier than the “Std” 200 grn 44-40, but no biggie.  Should be perfect.  Got my Lee dies today and and ordered 500 Starline cases.  I am told these are THE brass to use for 44-40 and the reviews are all outstanding.  John Taffin tells me these are the cases to use as well. So, any divine wisdom/great loads/other helpful info and tips for loading the 44 WCF?  Thanx!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
mckg posted this 26 February 2016

Make sure the ammo chambers at .431 before loading half a K... I remember some Uberti guns from the 80's with very tight chamber necks; not matching throats and barrels at all.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 26 February 2016

If I recall correctly the Cimarron is a Colt SA clone, so I would not exceed 6 grains of Bullseye, Red Dot, or 700X with the 217-grain bullet.

Before you go loading a bunch of them, assemble six dummies in your Starline cases with .430-.431 bullets and make sure that they chamber! If chamber NECK is too tight, you may need to get the cylinder reamed, not the throats, but the necks.

John Taylor did this for my Ruger .44-40 cylinders to enlarge them from the .443” SAAMI dimension to .446".  Cost is about $125 plus shipping and reblue if you want that.  PLEASE let us know if the Cimarron chamber necks are large enough to accept .430-.431 bullets in Starline brass.  This would be helpful to know.

If you would like to try some bullets from my Accurate molds, PM me and I can send you some to try before you consider the mold(s). 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

mckg wrote: Make sure the ammo chambers at .431 before loading half a K... I remember some Uberti guns from the 80's with very tight chamber necks; not matching throats and barrels at all.

Already been warned about this, and I always make up some dummy rounds when I start on a new gun and/or caliber.  Will DEF do that with this one!  And THANX!

Attached Files

Ed Harris wrote: If I recall correctly the Cimarron is a Colt SA clone, so I would not exceed 6 grains of Bullseye, Red Dot, or 700X with the 217-grain bullet.

Before you go loading a bunch of them, assemble six dummies in your Starline cases with .430-.431 bullets and make sure that they chamber! If chamber NECK is too tight, you may need to get the cylinder reamed, not the throats, but the necks.

John Taylor did this for my Ruger .44-40 cylinders to enlarge them from the .443” SAAMI dimension to .446".  Cost is about $125 plus shipping and reblue if you want that.  PLEASE let us know if the Cimarron chamber necks are large enough to accept .430-.431 bullets in Starline brass.  This would be helpful to know.

If you would like to try some bullets from my Accurate molds, PM me and I can send you some to try before you consider the mold(s).  Thanx Ed.  Waiting on the brass.  And looking at the load data. I am looking at 6.5 grns of Bullseye MAX (and similar level load data - I am going to start with Unique {have a bunch} for the 217 grn bullet, and expect to find an accuracy load at/below 6.0.  And really looking for accuracy loads for this one.  No desire/need to hot rod it.  NOT what I got it for. So far, just punched some bullets thru the cylinder.  .431 taps thru easy.  And I always load a set of dummy rounds, and will do the same for this one.  Hopefully everything will work out.  If I run into issues, and/or my mold/bullet won't work, I will def take you up on the offer of some test bullets.  and when I get it all figured out, I will post follow-ups here as to where I land.  And as always, thanx for you generous help/info/offers of assistance!  It is always greatly appreciated (and your Ed's Red is awesome too!)!

Attached Files

Close