What measurement in revolvers?

• Last Post 05 October 2016
wizzbang posted this 02 February 2016

I own a revolver, and I know I've asked this before, but what measurement due you use to determine bullet size on a revolver?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 03 February 2016

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=2025>wizzbang

You don't have to be confused by measurements at all. The largest diameter bullet that will easily chamber with a sliding fit on loading will have the highest accuracy potential. Sometimes the actual measurements just throw you off from what a real fit is. Inking bullets on dummy rounds makes it very easy to see a sliding fit when you try your bullets.

Gary

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 03 February 2016

To add on to Gary's, the front of the cylinder where the bullet comes out of the cases before it goes into the barrel. Inking and pushing is cheaper than buy a good inside micrometer and learning how to use it. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 10 February 2016

I have found that just pushing (gently) a bullet into the ball seat of the cylinder, starting from the rear, is a good way to check bullet diameter.

A bullet that will fall through with little resistance is not likely to give much accuracy at all. If an unsized bullet does this with your wheelgun, it's not worth spending any more time with that bullet in that gun.

Attached Files

Revolverman posted this 26 August 2016

I have a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Long Colt which has never shot better than mediocre. Bore is .450. I've always shot .452 cast (keith style 255 gr). Bullet fits too easily into cases so I slugged the cylinder throat---.455. I've wondered about getting a .454 sizer but thought that would be too large for that .450 bore. As cast diameter of the bullet is .454 so it should work but I'm worried about pressures.... Any thoughts?

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 26 August 2016

Revolverman, my first thought would be to try a .454 bullet, in a not too hard alloy, with a not too hot load, and see if it shoots better. So long as you stick to starting loads intended for the Colt SAA, I don't think you are likely to get into trouble pressure-wise with the Ruger. What you really would want is a better cylinder throat to barrel diameter match, you can change either one, but neither one is a cheap or easy swap. Cylinder throats that are too tight are an easy fix, your situation does not have any easy fix that I know of.

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 27 August 2016

Cylinder throat. And for the Ruger with 455 cylinder throat and 450 bore... that is a tough one.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 August 2016

Must be an OLD Ruger, they are usually too tight and need to be reamed to .452"

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

4570sharps posted this 02 October 2016

Slug the barrel!

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 03 October 2016

I own a Ruger with the same problem. I just use my bullets unsized and I use my cases unsized. I just push out the primer, reprime, add Red Dot and seat the bullet. It is just as accurate as any other revolver I have. Glenn

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 05 October 2016

I bought one of the early 45 Colt Blackhawks right after they came out. The chambers and the throats were huge, the bore was 0.451, throats 0.455. Chambers were??? Case life was short so I neck sized the cases for my 45 ACP 0.451 bullets. The loaded rounds looked like a big 44-40. Case life was still short. Accuracy was poor.

I bought another mold, made for 45 Colt, it cast 0.456. Accuracy was much better, but only with standard 45 colt loads. Any attempt to load up to the Ruger's potential gave leading. Still, standard 45 Colt loads are not bad.

Attached Files

Close