Light load

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 20 February 2015
dcrane 33 posted this 19 February 2015

Hi everyone. Can anyone recommend a light load for my S&W 642. Right now I've been using a cast 158g RN with 3.4g of Red Dot. Little bit of a kick. Would like something lighter so the wife enjoys shooting it. I have a mold for a 105g bullet, but will that matter. When I look in the load manuals, what numbers would help me determine less felt recoil. Velocity? Pressure? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
giorgio de galleani posted this 19 February 2015

Cowboy Action shooters ose 357 revolvers and 130 grs bullet to have less recoil.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 20 February 2015

My light .38 Special target load was always 2.7 grains Bullseye with a 148 grain semi-wadcutter. That was because I had the 148 grain plain base semi-wadcutter mold. Energy equals mass times velocity squared; cut back on velocity first for lessened recoil. You can go too light on velocity and not stabilize the bullet. This load will give you a baseline for testing.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 20 February 2015

Recoil is usually calculated as total mass of ejected material times velocity. So, reducing weight of bullet is the most bang for the buck. I shoot lots of Cramer/Lyman 105 grain WC's from 38's. I like 2.7 grains of Bullseye with the bullet seated below the case mouth by 1/4 inch. Ric

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 20 February 2015

also a nice shooting glove might help to spread the recoil to her hand, and of course any weight you could add to the gun. also a really good set of shooter's ear muffs ... muzzle blast can seem like more recoil.

ken

Attached Files

dcrane 33 posted this 20 February 2015

Great help everyone. Will try all your recommendations. Thanks

Attached Files

rockquarry posted this 20 February 2015

I shoot the snub nose .38s a good bit and I understand that even the wadcutter target loads have more recoil than some can tolerate for prolonged shooting.

Recently I was given some commercial cast 93 gr. roundnose .358” bullets. I regularly shoot 160 grain SWC in all my .38 Special handguns and expected very poor accuracy with these light bullets. Loading them with 3.5 grs. Bullseye, I was quite surprised with both the good accuracy and significant recoil reduction compared with my regular loads. Muzzle velocity from a 2” barrel would probably be around 800-850 fps.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 20 February 2015

I was using Lees 105 gr 9mm bullet with 2 grains of Bullseye in my 642 when letting a female friend of mine get used to shooting.

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 20 February 2015

I've been loading some with 115 gr. plated 9mm bullets. They run about .002” undersize for the 38 but shouldn't be a problem for a moderate amount of shooting.  

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 20 February 2015

i forgot to mention to try round balls ... gotta be the ultimate light load / confidence builder. heck a gal could even help ” reload ” her own ammo at the range !! a lee primer tool, a finger pinch of bullseye and a pencil to seat the ball !! i started my 13 yr-old daughter that way with a 44 mag ... and they can be accurate Enough !!

ken

Attached Files

Close