velocity with accuracy

• 26K Views
  • Last Post 27 January 2016
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 December 2014

it is looking as if our near-liquid lead alloy bullets are being distorted in the first inch or so upon ignition.  it is not as clear that running out of lube or stripping/gas cutting, or melting due to barrel friction  after the first 6 inches is unavoidably present.

partial success in out quest to match jb accuracy is probably due to schemes to align and support as much of the bullet as we can before firing. 

and probably by using as hard an alloy as we can find .. maybe the end goal would be a strong metal jacket ( g ) .

also it seems that keeping g forces lower ( thru slower burning rate powders and very long barrels ) results in less bullet deformation for the same muzzle velocity.  honorable mention goes to having a high quality barrel .

the above is an attempt to pause, inspect the past 600 years of shooting lead, and see where we go from here.  that we attain an easy 2 to 3 moa by following 4 or 8 rules i consider amazing !!  harry pope knew these rules 100 years ago but only with the internet have the rules been so available to so many interested in improvements.

as has been dutifully noted , and with precious truth indeed ... that wonderful schemes and midnight inspirations do not make great targets without some investment of time, sweat, ...and yes often money ... still it is useful to have a few hundred possible fantasy improvement scenarios in hand for our subconscious to sort out on our road to beating the curse of cast bullets always being that other child.

so what do we try next ?  accuracy with velocity is near ;;; i can sense it !!

ken  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Sgt_Mike posted this 27 January 2016

John Alexander wrote: You don't have to have four shooters all in the same class to be a CBA registered match.  Just 4 CBA members.  Some could be military rifle shooters shooting on different targets.

I'm away from my regular computer or I could give you the email for the Director of Registered competition. I also can't send you a copy of our rules but they are on the CBA website. John 

Even Better news.... John looks like a little mo research (on my end) is in order.

Thank You Sir

Attached Files

Newt wrote: I would like to do either production or hunter, that's the only type of guns I have, but I'd jump in the unrestricted in order to be able to shoot with others.

You must have to stop and take a lot of breaks..... :) I figured Van Buren was only a little over 2 hours from you. It looks to be about a little under 2 for me.

It might not be feasible, or even doable, depending upon the Club rules and such.

Newt,

.>  Military vehicles  LMAO is usually how I go, yeah in the challenger can be there in no time flat.. without speeding... my ole truck yeah she like to run 65 for gas economy.

I like the Van Burean area for this  but the Mayflower Range operated by the wildfife commision .. I think can be rented ... maybe ... maybe not.....................................  that location offers benches but is limited to 200 yards with plenty of points. I check into it later

(as a alternate location to what you mention)

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 27 January 2016

You don't have to have four shooters all in the same class to be a CBA registered match.  Just 4 CBA members.  Some could be military rifle shooters shooting on different targets.

I'm away from my regular computer or I could give you the email for the Director of Registered competition. I also can't send you a copy of our rules but they are on the CBA website. John 

Attached Files

Newt posted this 27 January 2016

I would like to do either production or hunter, that's the only type of guns I have, but I'd jump in the unrestricted in order to be able to shoot with others.

You must have to stop and take a lot of breaks..... :) I figured Van Buren was only a little over 2 hours from you. It looks to be about a little under 2 for me.

It might not be feasible, or even doable, depending upon the Club rules and such.

Attached Files

Frank thank you. I'll look it over. Some reason I want to say Missouri is about as close as I'll see. I want to think that La, Tx, Ar, Ok,and Tn are not on the list. But I'll look over it again.

Newt, Lets see the boy (my son) will be eighteen this year, with his rifle he would be I guess hunting rifle. But if I read the rules right in unrestricted he is not barred with a factory rifle. just disadvantaged. Then there is Goodsteel he might be interested depending on what he has on the bench and time. Van Buren area would work as it does not require motels etc etc just a 3-4 hr drive, about half that if I drive my dodge challenger lol.

Attached Files

If there is not an age requirement, I just realized that my boy(will be 13 this year) would be very happy to participate.

Attached Files

Well, that makes three of us. If I read the rules right, we would only need one more(if we all shot the same event) to do registered matches.

I am sure you all have seen/heard of them, but Old Fort Gun Club is located there in Van Buren. With a name like that I do not see how they don't do CBA, but I check every now and again and never see anything.

If we all were serious, and had another(or more), we could check with them about the use of their range. They have a 300 yard range, divided up into 3 sections(of course). It looks to have an 8 station bench also.

Just an idea. I am sure there would be a WHOLE lot more details that would have to be ironed out.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 27 January 2016

Mike, Here is a list of clubs that hold matches. Look through it and find the closest range and club, to you. Note that it's for 2015 and the shooting dates that it includes, will have to be updated.

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/schedule/2015brmatchschedule.pdf>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/schedule/2015brmatchschedule.pdf

Frank

Attached Files

Newt I suspect the unrestricted class would interest me

Attached Files

Near Goodsteel in Conway Newt.

Attached Files

Where in Arkansas are you? I plan on going up to pioneer this year myself. It would be cool to start a CBA club match here in Arkansas though.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 27 January 2016

Dunno about Arkansas but if there are no matches in your area you can participate in postal matches.

Attached Files

frnkeore wrote: The best way to gain credibility on this forum is to shoot in CBA matches (or other organized matches) and then no one will dispute your results.

While this is very interesting and I know that bjorb's experiments are truthful, you are in a forum of competive shooters and we all gage results on match results.

There are CBA clubs all over the USA and you don't have to become a member to shoot in a match, at least not to start.

Keep posting and after you get what you think is your best combination, go to a match and shoot it. I believe that you'll see that you'll have the admiration of all here.

FrankFrank, after reading this post of yours and what you stated, “There are CBA clubs all over the USA and you don't have to become a member to shoot in a match, at least not to start." Now for my question where are the Arkansas matches held and whom do I contact to shoot in one ?

Why am I asking because I truly want to know I think it would be a hoot to shoot in one.

Attached Files

goodsteel posted this 10 May 2015

It has nothing to do with the throat, and the bullet is not getting damaged (I've seen all the damage that happens to cast bullets and in my rifles, it is perfectly ballanced damage that would have hardly any effect on accuracy whatsoever). What is happening is the bullet is getting preloaded with a certain amount of torque due to the simple laws of inertia and physics, and once the bullet clears the crown it is no longer constrained and the internal stresses in the alloy are released, causing turbulance the centrifugal force can get a hold of. This same thing happens inside a copper jacketed bullet to the core, but the core is made of relatively soft alloy that is not bonded to the jacket in any way, so it is free to slip and twist in the jacket in the first 2” of the barrel and take a set there. When the jacketed bullet exits the barrel, everything is settled, packed, spun up to RPM and ready for an event free flight (it may surprise you to know that most target bullets are made with a pure lead core. I wonder why they do that? Hmmmm).

Regardless, breach seating allows the entire bullet to spin up all at once, and is how we were able to achieve accurate speeds of 3100FPS where fixed ammunition failed at 2700fps or less. This is also why I designed the XCB bullet like I did. Everything about it was aimed at getting as much of the bullet moving as possible, and also, my thought was that if the bullet is fully engraved, then it cannot be engraved in a twisted fashion.
This appears to have worked pretty well, as Larry Gibson is routinely shooting 3000FPS with fixed ammunition using this bullet design, and holding linear 1.5MOA out to 300 yards. The bullet is balanced, it engraves nicely, and it also has pretty nice BC to boot.

Moving forward, I have designed a similar bullet for the 35XCB wildcat (which I have test fired at this point and still get a special feeling when I think of this new cartridge and the potential there!). This new bullet design was made with the same attention to detail and like the 30XCB, is bolstered against the accuracy robbing stresses as I understand them. I don't think we will quite make it to 3000FPS with the 35XCB (given the inherent weakness of a cast bullet of greater mass) but I wonder if greater accuracy at high velocity will be an even bigger reality for the 35XCB than it was for the 30XCB. Time will tell. I've got a 30” Palma contour 358 caliber barrel on order and a nice Sako AV here waiting on it. It should be interesting. 

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 10 May 2015

<url=/view_user.php?id=8104>goodsteel wrote: You fellers see the little blip in the pressure trace? That's the bullet engraving.  Hmmm.   So if a cast bullet causes a little blip on a pressure trace due to engraving pressure, then a jacketed bullet should cause a big blip when it engraves, and a Barnes X bullet should cause a giant blip?  Amirite? Here's a trace for a jacketed bullet, from the Oehler website.   No big blip, no little blip.

Point being, while there may be “little blips” on Larry' traces, we don't know what they are.    There seems to be an awful lot of jumping-to-conclusions going on.    I've done a fair amount of pressure tracing with high velocity cast, and don't recall seeing any “little blips” that might correspond to engraving.    Bear in mind that the raw signal from a strain gage is very noisy, and is usually filtered by both hardware and software before it shows up on your computer screen.    It can be particularly tricky for a pressure trace to capture the true point of ignition, because there is a lot of noise that can be mistaken for ignition.   I.e., I often get false “ignition” if I jiggle the cable or if I close the action hard.    That said, I do appreciate people sharing their shooting data, blips or no blips.  ude: While I don't plan to try breach seating myself, the breach seated data that has been presented is very useful to prove a point -- that, as others have said, high velocity cast bullets fail mainly due to something going wrong in the throat.   We can debate what that something might be, but I agree that the passage through the throat is the weak link.   As I recently posted on another thread, the weakness of Dr. Mann's otherwise great book is that he paid no attention to the throat.   He started out claiming that best accuracy was obtained by seating bore-diameter bullets (through a false muzzle, if I remember correctly) in his BPCR calibers.  Towards the end of the book he switched to smokeless calibers -- which probably had a decent throat though he didn't say -- and began getting satisfactory accuracy with conventionally loaded cartridges. The book on the ideal cast bullet throat has yet to be written, as far as I know.   I appreciate you guys adding your data to the knowledge pool.  

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 30 December 2014

Pat I. When I created the 30x57 some years back using shortened '06 dies I found the cases formed out of WW '-06 cases held 1/2 gr more H4895 than did WW FL sized .308W cases with the powder at the bottom of the neck. I supplied formed cases to goodsteel for his 30 XCB. I don't have a 30 XCB but the 30x57 dimensions of the cases I formed are very, very close to the 30 XCB cartridge drawing dimensions.   Thought I'd add a photo;  The left cartridge is my own 308 CBC I came up with back in the early '80s.  The .308W is next to it on the right.  The 30x57 is in the middle and the 30-06 is on the right.  The second from the right is the 7.7 Jap.  LMG  

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

bjornb posted this 30 December 2014

pat i. wrote: Just to add something to this thread cuz I'm feeling left out here's a couple of cartridges I've used in CBA bench matches. The shorter one is the front end of a 30/06 that was my first bench gun built on a solid bottom Savage action I don't know how many years ago using a Shilen SM 14 twist barrel. I shortened an 06 die and formed it out of 35 Remington cases. Case is 1.700 long. I only had a 45/70 and 06 reamer at the time which explains why I did it. It shot no better or worse than any of the other short .30 cases and in hind sight was a complete waste of time and a perfectly good 30/06 die since I bought a 30 BR reamer and rechambered the barrel the next year.

Next to it is the 30x47 I chambered up and fit for my last BR rifle. I used a 22 inch 17 twist Shilen SM barrel and was getting 2600 fps with pretty good accuracy without much work. The case is formed from either 308 or 300 Savage brass and is 1.850 long after forming and trimming with a 30 degree shoulder. I had some small primer 308 BR brass I tried but found no difference in accuracy over the large primer brass. I truly believe I could have pumped this thing up another couple hundred fps but would have lost the accuracy necessary for BR matches.

Case capacity is approx. 48 grains of water which leads to the question. Have any of you guys using the XCB checked the water capacity of the case? I ask because I was wondering if it was close enough to an existing case that a lot of the work of case forming could be gotten around. Case neck length isn't an issue because you could extend the length of the neck by cutting a longer ball seat in the barrel.   

That's it. Just wanted to feel I was part of the discussion for a bit and show some different stuff.  Pat,60 grains of water is what the XCB cartridge holds. 

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 30 December 2014

Thanks Pat:

Always interesting information, comparing twists and bullet lengths/weights. In particular the .30's.

Attached Files

goodsteel posted this 30 December 2014

Too bad you're not still shooting for HV. I would be very curious how your rifle would like the NOE bullet. Lord, with a 17 twist barrel, you might very well be able to stab small groups at 2900 FPS. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 30 December 2014

It was a simpler time for me in the beginning so I was using the RCBS 165 Sil in the what I was calling at the time 30/35, that's the shorter case. In the 30x47 I was using slightly modified 160 and 170 LBT spritzers. The 160 gr bullet is .925 long and the 170 is .975 long ready to go. There's a picture of one of the LBT bullets in this thread somewhere

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close