WHERE ARE YOU WIZARDS??

• 11K Views
  • Last Post 27 December 2014
joeb33050 posted this 11 December 2014

We got LMG and BJORN talking about 2700 fps 30 caliber XCB bullets in 308 and ??30xcb and shooting under 1” 100 yard groups. Where are the wizards, why are you talking about melting noses and breech seating and other non-wizardry.THIS IS IT!! Unless it's a joke, 2700 fps solves all the wind problems and offers a new direction, something we sorely need. Let's capture them and waterboard them if they won't explain! Am I the only one alarmed?

OTOH, I scored a big pail of wheelweights, and Can you shoot gas check bullets without gas checks?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Pentz posted this 27 December 2014

That extended bolt release if a great addition. My Winchester 1917 Enfield release is a bear to open. Archimedes had it right!

Attached Files

goodsteel posted this 27 December 2014

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: i see you have a TACTICAL bolt release ... drop a 308 bolt, slam in a 223 bolt and away you go in a blackout config .

every country boy's dream ...

( g )

ken That would be a world of NO. This rifle was built on a serious time budget, and since it is mine, I didn't mind doing a few things that are a little “unorthodox"? The original 1909 Argentine bolt stop housing does not lend itself to use in this configuration, as it wraps around the reciever and is hard to get to, and must be notched just to make room for the rear scope mount. The original plan was to grind off the protrusion that came on it, and add a traditional tab so that it could be utilized easier. The piece of steel I selected for the job was much too long, but was going to be cut short. However, once I had it in place I thought how convenient it would be to slide my thumb under that wing to hold it open while the bolt was extracted. I figure if its more of a hindrance than a help, I can always cut it back as I originally intended so why not? LOL!  I am very happy with the form, fit and function of this rifle, and I designed it so that almost any barrel could be screwed in place and used as a single shot test bed for the upcoming XCB calibers. Good solid test bed. 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 27 December 2014

i see you have a TACTICAL bolt release ... drop a 308 bolt, slam in a 223 bolt and away you go in a blackout config .

every country boy's dream ...

( g )

ken

Attached Files

Oh BTW, in case anybody cares, this rifle tips the scales at 19.6lb. It balances 1” in front of the action face.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 27 December 2014

all class - I like the extended bolt release

Attached Files

bjornb posted this 27 December 2014

Now THAT's a rifle. Hmmmm.... wonder where he got the idea for that crown.....? Oh, silly me, it already had the crown from about 1959. Classy Tim.

Attached Files

OK, it's pretty much finished. Still waiting on the Brux barrel to arrive, but this one will work to put a few bullets in a phonebook or two. LOL! 

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 25 December 2014

joeb33050 wrote: RicinYakima wrote: Goodsteel,

You are a 'smith to ride the river with! It took me many years to come to a “build philosophy” similar to yours.

RicI agree completely, except I can't understand this. Are there blueprints somewhere? Do they still have blueprints? There's an outer ring? Nobody ever told me! 
Joe - To 'blueprint' something (often used in building up a hot engine) refers loosely to the process of making everything as accurately as possible with the finest of finishes and fits.  

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 25 December 2014

RicinYakima wrote: Goodsteel,

You are a 'smith to ride the river with! It took me many years to come to a “build philosophy” similar to yours.

RicI agree completely, except I can't understand this. Are there blueprints somewhere? Do they still have blueprints? There's an outer ring? Nobody ever told me! 

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 25 December 2014

Goodsteel,

Ric

Attached Files

goodsteel posted this 25 December 2014

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: glad to see some mauser actions here ... they just look right somehow.

do you blue print them ?

do you seat barrel face against both inner and outer ring ?

i used an f.n. commercial with sako trigger for years ... sold it to a returning vet ..made me feel good ... well mostly.

keep up the energy !!

ken I don't blueprint Mausers unless you consider cleaning the face of the action and the inner ring to be doing that. I have found no practical advantage to cleaning the threads up as threads are a lousy way to align anything anyway, and if you get differential hardness in the front ring (which happens occasionally due to the case hardening process) you may be doing more harm than good and feeling great about it.  On this rifle, I seated to both rings at crush, but often I will hold off the inner ring .010 so that the outer ring carries the burden of alignment/harmonic transference, but that's only if the action is off at the inner ring. Suffice it to say that I make sure the action runs concentric to the barrel via fixturing I have designed. I try both shoulders one at a time on the barrel as it is mounted in the lathe just after threading. If they are both satisfactory and produce an action TIR of less than .010 10” to the rear of the threads, then I will seat to both of them. If not, then I clean the face of the action as it is mounted on the barrel and then check it for alignment. When it is aligned, it is used.  My build philosophy is different than some because I designed it myself (like I do everything else). Many smiths build by blanketing reasonable precision over the entire rifle. I put extreme precision where it can do the most good and let the rough edge drag in places that sound good, but lend no practical advantage to accuracy.  At the end of the day though, “garbage in” still equals “garbage out". Like my dad always told me “you know son, you can cut it and cut it and its still too short".LOL! 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 December 2014

glad to see some mauser actions here ... they just look right somehow.

do you blue print them ?

do you seat barrel face against both inner and outer ring ?

i used an f.n. commercial with sako trigger for years ... sold it to a returning vet ..made me feel good ... well mostly.

keep up the energy !!

ken

Attached Files

goodsteel posted this 24 December 2014

Just wait till you see it with some finish on it. Arkansas black walnut is very very dark. It looks 75 years old the day you shoot some clear polyurethane on it. This piece was not selected for figure or anything but I think I lucked out. It's going to be pretty.

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 24 December 2014

Dro. Dead. Gorgeous. Great black walnut can't be beat IMO.

Attached Files

goodsteel posted this 24 December 2014

I will be adding a little to the testing shortly. It has been said that linotype is too hard to hunt with, and that it will shatter upon impact etc etc etc. First, I don't think it will shatter. Second, while it may be too hard to hunt with at 1900FPS, I don't know anybody who has tried it at jacketed speeds. I think that it may do quite well, but I don't know, so I will fire bullets into wet phonebooks/unvulcanized rubber etc etc and see what happens. I have been assembling a rifle for myself on the side, and it's almost finished. I'm naming this one “Felix".

Action: 1909 Argentine Trigger: Timney Bedding: Devcon 10-110 Stock: Arkansas Native black walnut/South American Kingwood/Black micarta Barrel: 1-14 twist 27” long, 1.220 cyl. Caliber:30 XCB

I will use this rifle for the bullet trials backing up Bjornb's results as I can, and pretty much just so I can enjoy a little of this HV accuracy without a thought in the world except punching little groups in paper at big velocities. 

Attached Files

bjornb posted this 17 December 2014

Ken, Your thread named “velocity with accuracy” is very aptly named to discuss this subject, and I for one will continue the posting over on that thread. When I get back to my computer I'll give you the short version of my rifle's history, barrel problems and all.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 December 2014

they say we learn from our mistakes .. which means i must be some kind of genus ...( g ) .

ennyway i would be interested in your fore-mentioned failures ... lesser progress moments ... with your ” faulty barrel ” etc. i am thinking all my deer rifles might have faulty barrels ...

also, because i really am not a genus, and have trouble following the high velocity project over the 3 or 6 threads here ... i wonder if god, or john A., could put these thread segments under one heading thread, such as ” the great high velocity project ” or some such ...

ken

Attached Files

bjornb posted this 16 December 2014

OU812 wrote: bjornb wrote: Funny you should say that. I had 20 cases with 29 and 30 grs. Varget, held by a tuft of Dacron, loaded up for last night's range trip. However, the breech seating was causing some fouling in the forward part of the chamber after about 20 rounds (and I had no cleaning supplies), so the breech seater was sticking and getting difficult to extract. I packed up at that point, but I intend to shoot those rounds next range trip. Loads were taken from reading Fouling Shot match data. Good call.
  Was the lead fowling directly on top of the lands  where rifling starts?   0000 steel wool  wrapped around 30 caliber brush will remove that lead fowling quickly...it will also help polish throat which may reduce the lead fowling. I wonder if Lyman Moly lube would help?   Maybe lead bullet is slipping/skidding at the higher velocity? Polishing will not help, but only make matters worse IMO.
Detox I wasn't really clear about the fouling......back at the shop, looking into the chamber with a flashlight, there was a lot of caked-up Unique powder both on the barrel face and on the chamber walls. I had shot several rounds of Unique, loading cases that were unplugged, and some of the powder must have spilled out of the cases and into the action and chamber area. The second time around I made sure all the cases were plugged with a small piece of lube, and no fouling occurred. For my next outing I have finally been able to get some floral foam that will be used as a stopper. There was never any leading.

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 16 December 2014

Repetition WAS MY problem going beyond 2500 FPS with the -06 and .280Rem. Alloy did not seem to matter much batch to batch of Linotype and/or Monotype. A couple good groups then the fliers came in. Wiping the bore between shots did NOT help. Then I got lazy and settled for minute of deer consistently! Now ,fat and lazy, I like to read about others travails with speed and cast!

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 16 December 2014

bjornb wrote: Funny you should say that. I had 20 cases with 29 and 30 grs. Varget, held by a tuft of Dacron, loaded up for last night's range trip. However, the breech seating was causing some fouling in the forward part of the chamber after about 20 rounds (and I had no cleaning supplies), so the breech seater was sticking and getting difficult to extract. I packed up at that point, but I intend to shoot those rounds next range trip. Loads were taken from reading Fouling Shot match data. Good call.
  Was the lead fowling directly on top of the lands  where rifling starts?   0000 steel wool  wrapped around 30 caliber brush will remove that lead fowling quickly...it will also help polish throat which may reduce the lead fowling. I wonder if Lyman Moly lube would help?   Maybe lead bullet is slipping/skidding at the higher velocity? Polishing will not help, but only make matters worse IMO.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close