WHERE ARE YOU WIZARDS??

• 11K Views
  • Last Post 27 December 2014
joeb33050 posted this 11 December 2014

We got LMG and BJORN talking about 2700 fps 30 caliber XCB bullets in 308 and ??30xcb and shooting under 1” 100 yard groups. Where are the wizards, why are you talking about melting noses and breech seating and other non-wizardry.THIS IS IT!! Unless it's a joke, 2700 fps solves all the wind problems and offers a new direction, something we sorely need. Let's capture them and waterboard them if they won't explain! Am I the only one alarmed?

OTOH, I scored a big pail of wheelweights, and Can you shoot gas check bullets without gas checks?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 11 December 2014

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=3>joeb33050

Gas checked bullets without gas checks are heeled bullets they shoot just fine.

Gary

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 December 2014

Joe, Please see your post about the 1/2” hurdle. Ric

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 12 December 2014

If I remember right me and Yarborough were doing it a few years back with fixed ammunition (H.L. with a 30 BR and me with a 30x47) and shorter barrels because of weight restrictions in CBA matches. Problem is to get it you need a slower twist which means a lighter bullet which means I gained nothing over using my 250 grain bullet in a faster twist at a much slower pace once I checked the BC and ran the numbers. It didn't raise much interest then and I expect once things settle down and people find out the costs involved in experimenting it won't find many disciples now. It is interesting and fun to watch and follow along though.

Attached Files

bjornb posted this 12 December 2014

Joe,there's no reason for alarm. Yes, last night my rifle shot a 5-shot group at Markham Park that measured .9 inches. Avg. MV 2851 fps, ES 45, SD 18.3. Cartridge was 30XCB wildcat (30x57), bullet was NOE 310-165-FN (xcb). Charge was 56 grains RL-22, case filled to overflow and sealed with a lube cookie. Alloy was Linotype, lube:Lars White Label 2700+. Bullet sized to .310, Hornady gas check. Breech seated with Tim Malcolm's breech seater. I prefer 10-shot groups, but only had 5 of these cases preloaded. Pat Iffland can be assured that witnesses were present. Also shot last night: 10 shots, 100 yards, same combo as above but fixed ammo: 45 grains Winchester 760. Group size 1.60", avg. MV 2658 fps 10 shots, 100 yards, 43 grains LeveRevolution, group size 2.1", avg. MV 2846 fps The rifle is an old target gun (mid-50s, I have seen a picture of Gene Beecher holding an identical rifle). Big thumbhole stock, FN commercial BLIND SS action, new Shilen Match SS barrel, 30.5 inches, 1:14 twist. I purchased the rifle as an old-fashioned “long range” rifle chambered in 30-338 Win Mag, with a shot out barrel. An “accident” that involved shooting a cleaning rod 50 yards at 1800 fps (chronographed) sealed the barrel's fate and it was re-barreled to its current condition.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 12 December 2014

To add a bit to Pat's post, in the 2007 CBA nationals HL Yarborough shot a 107 grain monotype bullet in a 30 BR with an 18” twist at 2,750fps and won the unrestricted rifle class.

Pat used a 155 grain linotype bullet at 2,650 fps and did respectably in heavy class. Pat's 5-shot group 100 yard 7aggregate was .786"-- 1.70” at 200.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat and I look forward to hearing of bjorn's continuing experiments.  This is the sort of thing that makes cast bullet shooting interesting. i may have to take another look at 14” twist 222s with short, hard, fast bullets.

John

Attached Files

bjornb wrote: Pat Iffland can be assured that witnesses were present. LOL! Pat Iffland was a member of an unnamed forum from 2005 til he quit and a member of it's predecessor for a few years before that so read about more un-witnessed or un-registered half inch groups than you can shake a stick at. Just got bit by the old Missouri “Show Me" bug after a while. 

Attached Files

Very cool stats, thanks John. Yeah I knew this was not a new “fad", others have clearly shot HV successfully before. However, the purpose of the XCB project was partially to find out just HOW fast we could push a 30-cal, 165 grain cast bullet and retain acceptable accuracy. And we are not there yet.

Attached Files

pat i. wrote: bjornb wrote: Pat Iffland can be assured that witnesses were present. LOL! Pat Iffland was a member of a unnamed forum from 2005 til he quit and a member of it's predecessor for a few years before that so read about more un-witnessed or un-registered half inch groups than you can shake a stick at. Just got bit by the old Missouri “Show Me" bug after a while.  And I don't blame you one bit. Why don't you try discussing groups with Starmetal? He has never shot a group larger than a quarter inch or slower than 2500 fps. In the dark. Backwards. While whistling Dixie.

Attached Files

bjornb wrote: Very cool stats, thanks John. Yeah I knew this was not a new “fad", others have clearly shot HV successfully before. However, the purpose of the XCB project was partially to find out just HOW fast we could push a 30-cal, 165 grain cast bullet and retain acceptable accuracy. And we are not there yet. You're doing a great job and I really enjoy your writing and testing, never found a reason to doubt anything you've said. If you're able to get the 14 twist shooting MOA aggregates in the 2800 fps range you're doing things I didn't think possible. Once you get to what you think are the limits of that barrel try throwing a 17 or 18 twist on it and see what happens.  

Attached Files

Pat, no offense taken, you cracked me up because some of the “naysayers” on the other unnamed forum always had bucket loads of excuses lined up for why we could never see any proof of what they claimed to be shooting.

You are correct, now comes the long haul: establishing the repeatability of these loads, and taking them out to 200 and 300 yards to show linear dispersion with my rifle. That involves a road trip to the next county, but is in the plans for January.

Brunos has 17 inch Kriegers in stock...........:fire

Attached Files

bjornb wrote: Brunos has 17 inch Kriegers in stock...........:fire Now you're talking. For an enjoyable little side trip with your rifle forget about speed for a day and try loading that thing down to 2200 fps or so with some Varget or VV135. I'd be interested to see what breach seating does for a bolt gun with a load that makes sense...................just kidding. :D

Attached Files

Funny you should say that. I had 20 cases with 29 and 30 grs. Varget, held by a tuft of Dacron, loaded up for last night's range trip. However, the breech seating was causing some fouling in the forward part of the chamber after about 20 rounds (and I had no cleaning supplies), so the breech seater was sticking and getting difficult to extract. I packed up at that point, but I intend to shoot those rounds next range trip. Loads were taken from reading Fouling Shot match data. Good call.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 12 December 2014

Slow'm down to around 1500 and on occasion, you can get groups of five, shot in a match and and sign by the witnesses like this at 200 yards. Not a record, it's about .1” off it. Frank 

Attached Files

bjornb wrote: Funny you should say that. I had 20 cases with 29 and 30 grs. Varget, held by a tuft of Dacron, loaded up for last night's range trip. However, the breech seating was causing some fouling in the forward part of the chamber after about 20 rounds (and I had no cleaning supplies), so the breech seater was sticking and getting difficult to extract. I packed up at that point, but I intend to shoot those rounds next range trip. Loads were taken from reading Fouling Shot match data. Good call.

Once you start shooting repeatable small groups you'll forget all about hot rodding. Plus it's cheaper!

Great group Frank.

Attached Files

That's pretty darn good Frank, but I'll let you rule in that end of the specter, I'm starting to like them hot....:hunt:

Both Pat and Frank: it takes all kinds, that's what makes this such a great hobby!!!

Attached Files

bjornb wrote: That's pretty darn good Frank, but I'll let you rule in that end of the specter, I'm starting to like them hot....:hunt:

Both Pat and Frank: it takes all kinds, that's what makes this such a great hobby!!! I've been most of those kinds so know what you mean.

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 12 December 2014

bjornb wrote: Joe,there's no reason for alarm. Yes, last night my rifle shot a 5-shot group at Markham Park that measured .9 inches. Avg. MV 2851 fps, ES 45, SD 18.3. Cartridge was 30XCB wildcat (30x57), bullet was NOE 310-165-FN (xcb). Charge was 56 grains RL-22, case filled to overflow and sealed with a lube cookie. Alloy was Linotype, lube:Lars White Label 2700+. Bullet sized to .310, Hornady gas check. Breech seated with Tim Malcolm's breech seater. I prefer 10-shot groups, but only had 5 of these cases preloaded. Pat Iffland can be assured that witnesses were present. Also shot last night: 10 shots, 100 yards, same combo as above but fixed ammo: 45 grains Winchester 760. Group size 1.60", avg. MV 2658 fps 10 shots, 100 yards, 43 grains LeveRevolution, group size 2.1", avg. MV 2846 fps The rifle is an old target gun (mid-50s, I have seen a picture of Gene Beecher holding an identical rifle). Big thumbhole stock, FN commercial BLIND SS action, new Shilen Match SS barrel, 30.5 inches, 1:14 twist. I purchased the rifle as an old-fashioned “long range” rifle chambered in 30-338 Win Mag, with a shot out barrel. An “accident” that involved shooting a cleaning rod 50 yards at 1800 fps (chronographed) sealed the barrel's fate and it was re-barreled to its current condition.

Not to be cheeky or disrespectful, but what is extraordinary about a 10-round group of 1.6 or 2.1 inches? I must be missing something? 

Attached Files

The velocity he's shooting at.

It's a work in progress and not a bad start although I'd like to see a few more aggregates. Not an indictment by any means just an observation from a guy that used to shoot matches and knows repeatable aggs tell the whole story.

Attached Files

Definitely a work in progress and I don't fault you guys for asking questions. I'll answer them if I can. As Pat says, we are off to an interesting start but much shooting is needed before any conclusions can be drawn.

Oh no, I have to go shoot again?? The burdens I have to carry.....

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 12 December 2014

Ah....now I understand; near twice the velocity of my modified military match '06 loads at 1480 fps. I'm getting the same 1.6” at those velocities.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 12 December 2014

Bjorn;I'm getting ready to throw all my rifles out. Tomorrow is trash day. Would you post a picture of the Tim Malcolm seater?Is 30 X 57 = 8mm mauser necked, or is the throat/leade/ball seat different/special?Do I need a thumbhole stock?What can you and LNG tell us about “no bore ride bullets"? Why not, what is the problem?Thanks;joe b.

Attached Files

Geez Joe, why don't I just bring it all down to your range and you can see and shoot the rifle, check out the seater, ammo, and everything?. There are no secrets here. The case is basically a 30-06 shortened to 57mm, keeping the 30-06 neck and shoulder. I have made cases from 30-06, 7x57 and 8x57 brass. I don't see much difference in the way the different cases shoot.

I'll take some closeup pictures of the breech seater later today and post them.

Attached Files

Here it is:

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 14 December 2014

Beta contamination is a myth vis-à-vis lead container. AEC quality controls of materials does not allow non-lead materials.   p.s. Ed, Reactor B, at the Hanford Site , was just made a National Park today. If you ever get West, it is a really cool place to visit! Plus you can stay at my house.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 14 December 2014

There's a lot of people who do think what you're doing is interesting. I'm sure you have a bad taste in your mouth from having to deal with people on other forums but this one for the most part isn't like that so stick around.

Attached Files

Mike H posted this 14 December 2014

I have been following this high velocity with cast bullets idea wherever I could find it on a forum,hope you and the other participants keep working on it.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 14 December 2014

bjorn,

The Great Gretzky said “if you don't shoot you won't score."

Keep shooting.

John

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 14 December 2014

Altho I have little to contribute overall this discussion has been an epiphany re full-length engraving/nose fit. Quite appropriate for my one-of-these-days arrivng CPA, but especially for my 1917 Enfield '06. Keep the hard work coming for us newbies, please.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 14 December 2014

Bjorn: I've been following you guys both here and at Boolits and would hate to see this discussion on XCB end on a bad note here.  Nearly everyone here at CBA is light years ahead of me in their understanding of what makes a cast bullet fly strait and with the help of members I'm now getting very good results shooting cast. On the other hand (please take this with the humor intended and not personal offense) There is much bemoaning of barriers to improvement in accuracy and no advancement of on target performance while having a very “Geezer in the balcony” view of things new or different here on this Muppet Show.  Please keep use informed as you, Larry, Gear and others brake new ground.   GP

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 14 December 2014

Not sure about being a “wizard” as I leave the “wizardry” over on the other forum to those who conjure themselves to be one.  I prefer solid testing and science.

It is not difficult to shoot cast bullets at high velocity with a reasonable, useable and repeatable degree of accuracy. It does not take years of tutelage and study under a “wizard” to do so.  It does not take years and thousands of rounds testing every variation of components known to man.  The wheel has already been invented so to speak.  The knowledge of how to shoot cast bullets at high velocity is known and is not a “secret” known only to the “master".  You simply have to have an appropriate cartridge, an appropriately designed cast bullet, know how to cast a high quality bullet, use the right alloy, use the right components and use an appropriate twist in the barrel to control the RPM while adequately stabilizing the bullet of sufficient length for minimal acceleration rate. 

Shooting cast bullets at high velocity is not difficult. Bjorn has accomplished it in 6 months. Most of that time was used up with a probable defective barrel and simply learning how to cast a real quality bullet.  Now with his good barrel he is moving ahead by leaps and bounds.  Anyone can do the same, even you.

I have been doing so for some time with my own 14” twist barrel of 27.6” length chambered in .308W.  I have been using 3 bullets; the LBT 30-160-SP, the Lyman 311466 and the NOE 310-165-FN (30 XCB.)  Only those 3 bullets have consistently proved accurate above 2500 fps regardless of the cartridge or barrel twist.  None of the bore riding designs have done so, not even the modern bore riders.  There are reasons for that but I intend to keep this post short simply to make the point that high velocity accuracy is very possible and not difficult to achieve.  If you want to achieve the same then do the same.   However, let me note that I, Bjorn or you are not going to achieve the same in a milsurp ’06, AR or “regular” rifle using a Lee mould, COWW alloy, beer can GCs, toilet ring lube and 2400 powder.  It’s just not in the cards no matter what the “wizards” say, even if you do use “original buffer”.  The reason you can do so one way and not the other is found in the laws of physics and ballistics not in the library at Hogwart U.

Right now I’m wrapped up in a lube test of 13 different lubes which will be tested at 2600 fps +/- (195 test rounds).  I’m also finishing testing the 30 XCB bullet in a 10” twist and 12” twist .308W rifles at Mach 2+ velocities. When I finish that I’ll move back to the 14” twist Palma rifle and test the LBT 31-150-SP at 2600 – 2800 fps.  By then my 30”+ barrel with 16” twist chambered in a tight neck 30x60 (the 30 XCB just deeper is al) which will give a bit more capacity.  All of my test data is collected via the Oehler M43 so I get a very good “look” at the velocities, the BCs, the psi and the time pressure traces. 

So as an example here’s what the 311466 can do at 2614 fps from the 14” twist rifle.  Second post is what the NOE XCB bullet can do at 2704 fps.  Bjorn is posting as good and better using breech seated bullets (not really my forte’ but it’s what he’s doing and it works).   

LMGN

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 14 December 2014

The 2700+ fps target.    

Concealment is not cover.........

bjornb posted this 15 December 2014

Yeah Larry pretty much summed it up. I know this is not “regular fare” for most shooters here on the CBA forum, but I think that there is enough interest in the subject that some posting is justified. One of the purposes of HV shooting with cast is hunting; we are shooting cast bullets at regular .308 Winchester speeds, so why not, with the correct alloys for hunting, use this knowledge to make hunting ammo? On another note, I got a little riled up over a post by Ed Harris last night. Let me just say that I'm over it, no harm is done, and Ed's welcome to continue his tenure as in-house standup comedian. Thanks to all of you for the encouraging comments. I went to the range today to confirm the loads I shot last week, and it looks like the rifle is able to shoot consistent loads in the 2800-2900 fps range on demand. Most of the target pictures will always be posted over on the NOE forum, mostly due to what I consider Al Nelson's “neutral ground", and also because it's a lot of work for an old squarehead to post a bunch of pictures on multiple sites. Here are a couple of today's targets:

Attached Files

Target pictures

Attached Files

And another

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 15 December 2014

If I understand what youse guys are doing, this is the most innovative approach I've seen to CB accuracy in a long while. Please keep the experiments and reports coming.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 15 December 2014

One of the most exciting things about these experiments is the raise the possibility of a effective CB hunting round without going to a nineteenth century black powder powder cartridge with a rainbow trajectory.

If the right cast bullet design and alloy for these high velocities can be worked out maybe I could leave my 44 caliber at home and take the 270.

John

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 15 December 2014

Joe I know you won't mind that I took a little snip out of your post. Let's all keep it as positive as possible during this Christmas season.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 16 December 2014

bjornb wrote: Funny you should say that. I had 20 cases with 29 and 30 grs. Varget, held by a tuft of Dacron, loaded up for last night's range trip. However, the breech seating was causing some fouling in the forward part of the chamber after about 20 rounds (and I had no cleaning supplies), so the breech seater was sticking and getting difficult to extract. I packed up at that point, but I intend to shoot those rounds next range trip. Loads were taken from reading Fouling Shot match data. Good call.
  Was the lead fowling directly on top of the lands  where rifling starts?   0000 steel wool  wrapped around 30 caliber brush will remove that lead fowling quickly...it will also help polish throat which may reduce the lead fowling. I wonder if Lyman Moly lube would help?   Maybe lead bullet is slipping/skidding at the higher velocity? Polishing will not help, but only make matters worse IMO.

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 16 December 2014

Repetition WAS MY problem going beyond 2500 FPS with the -06 and .280Rem. Alloy did not seem to matter much batch to batch of Linotype and/or Monotype. A couple good groups then the fliers came in. Wiping the bore between shots did NOT help. Then I got lazy and settled for minute of deer consistently! Now ,fat and lazy, I like to read about others travails with speed and cast!

Attached Files

bjornb posted this 16 December 2014

OU812 wrote: bjornb wrote: Funny you should say that. I had 20 cases with 29 and 30 grs. Varget, held by a tuft of Dacron, loaded up for last night's range trip. However, the breech seating was causing some fouling in the forward part of the chamber after about 20 rounds (and I had no cleaning supplies), so the breech seater was sticking and getting difficult to extract. I packed up at that point, but I intend to shoot those rounds next range trip. Loads were taken from reading Fouling Shot match data. Good call.
  Was the lead fowling directly on top of the lands  where rifling starts?   0000 steel wool  wrapped around 30 caliber brush will remove that lead fowling quickly...it will also help polish throat which may reduce the lead fowling. I wonder if Lyman Moly lube would help?   Maybe lead bullet is slipping/skidding at the higher velocity? Polishing will not help, but only make matters worse IMO.
Detox I wasn't really clear about the fouling......back at the shop, looking into the chamber with a flashlight, there was a lot of caked-up Unique powder both on the barrel face and on the chamber walls. I had shot several rounds of Unique, loading cases that were unplugged, and some of the powder must have spilled out of the cases and into the action and chamber area. The second time around I made sure all the cases were plugged with a small piece of lube, and no fouling occurred. For my next outing I have finally been able to get some floral foam that will be used as a stopper. There was never any leading.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 December 2014

they say we learn from our mistakes .. which means i must be some kind of genus ...( g ) .

ennyway i would be interested in your fore-mentioned failures ... lesser progress moments ... with your ” faulty barrel ” etc. i am thinking all my deer rifles might have faulty barrels ...

also, because i really am not a genus, and have trouble following the high velocity project over the 3 or 6 threads here ... i wonder if god, or john A., could put these thread segments under one heading thread, such as ” the great high velocity project ” or some such ...

ken

Attached Files

bjornb posted this 17 December 2014

Ken, Your thread named “velocity with accuracy” is very aptly named to discuss this subject, and I for one will continue the posting over on that thread. When I get back to my computer I'll give you the short version of my rifle's history, barrel problems and all.

Attached Files

goodsteel posted this 24 December 2014

I will be adding a little to the testing shortly. It has been said that linotype is too hard to hunt with, and that it will shatter upon impact etc etc etc. First, I don't think it will shatter. Second, while it may be too hard to hunt with at 1900FPS, I don't know anybody who has tried it at jacketed speeds. I think that it may do quite well, but I don't know, so I will fire bullets into wet phonebooks/unvulcanized rubber etc etc and see what happens. I have been assembling a rifle for myself on the side, and it's almost finished. I'm naming this one “Felix".

Action: 1909 Argentine Trigger: Timney Bedding: Devcon 10-110 Stock: Arkansas Native black walnut/South American Kingwood/Black micarta Barrel: 1-14 twist 27” long, 1.220 cyl. Caliber:30 XCB

I will use this rifle for the bullet trials backing up Bjornb's results as I can, and pretty much just so I can enjoy a little of this HV accuracy without a thought in the world except punching little groups in paper at big velocities. 

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 24 December 2014

Dro. Dead. Gorgeous. Great black walnut can't be beat IMO.

Attached Files

goodsteel posted this 24 December 2014

Just wait till you see it with some finish on it. Arkansas black walnut is very very dark. It looks 75 years old the day you shoot some clear polyurethane on it. This piece was not selected for figure or anything but I think I lucked out. It's going to be pretty.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 December 2014

glad to see some mauser actions here ... they just look right somehow.

do you blue print them ?

do you seat barrel face against both inner and outer ring ?

i used an f.n. commercial with sako trigger for years ... sold it to a returning vet ..made me feel good ... well mostly.

keep up the energy !!

ken

Attached Files

goodsteel posted this 25 December 2014

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: glad to see some mauser actions here ... they just look right somehow.

do you blue print them ?

do you seat barrel face against both inner and outer ring ?

i used an f.n. commercial with sako trigger for years ... sold it to a returning vet ..made me feel good ... well mostly.

keep up the energy !!

ken I don't blueprint Mausers unless you consider cleaning the face of the action and the inner ring to be doing that. I have found no practical advantage to cleaning the threads up as threads are a lousy way to align anything anyway, and if you get differential hardness in the front ring (which happens occasionally due to the case hardening process) you may be doing more harm than good and feeling great about it.  On this rifle, I seated to both rings at crush, but often I will hold off the inner ring .010 so that the outer ring carries the burden of alignment/harmonic transference, but that's only if the action is off at the inner ring. Suffice it to say that I make sure the action runs concentric to the barrel via fixturing I have designed. I try both shoulders one at a time on the barrel as it is mounted in the lathe just after threading. If they are both satisfactory and produce an action TIR of less than .010 10” to the rear of the threads, then I will seat to both of them. If not, then I clean the face of the action as it is mounted on the barrel and then check it for alignment. When it is aligned, it is used.  My build philosophy is different than some because I designed it myself (like I do everything else). Many smiths build by blanketing reasonable precision over the entire rifle. I put extreme precision where it can do the most good and let the rough edge drag in places that sound good, but lend no practical advantage to accuracy.  At the end of the day though, “garbage in” still equals “garbage out". Like my dad always told me “you know son, you can cut it and cut it and its still too short".LOL! 

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 25 December 2014

Goodsteel,

You are a 'smith to ride the river with! It took me many years to come to a “build philosophy” similar to yours.

Ric

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 25 December 2014

RicinYakima wrote: Goodsteel,

You are a 'smith to ride the river with! It took me many years to come to a “build philosophy” similar to yours.

RicI agree completely, except I can't understand this. Are there blueprints somewhere? Do they still have blueprints? There's an outer ring? Nobody ever told me! 

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 25 December 2014

joeb33050 wrote: RicinYakima wrote: Goodsteel,

RicI agree completely, except I can't understand this. Are there blueprints somewhere? Do they still have blueprints? There's an outer ring? Nobody ever told me! 
Joe - To 'blueprint' something (often used in building up a hot engine) refers loosely to the process of making everything as accurately as possible with the finest of finishes and fits.  

Attached Files

goodsteel posted this 27 December 2014

OK, it's pretty much finished. Still waiting on the Brux barrel to arrive, but this one will work to put a few bullets in a phonebook or two. LOL! 

Attached Files

bjornb posted this 27 December 2014

Now THAT's a rifle. Hmmmm.... wonder where he got the idea for that crown.....? Oh, silly me, it already had the crown from about 1959. Classy Tim.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 27 December 2014

all class - I like the extended bolt release

Attached Files

Oh BTW, in case anybody cares, this rifle tips the scales at 19.6lb. It balances 1” in front of the action face.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 27 December 2014

i see you have a TACTICAL bolt release ... drop a 308 bolt, slam in a 223 bolt and away you go in a blackout config .

every country boy's dream ...

( g )

ken

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: i see you have a TACTICAL bolt release ... drop a 308 bolt, slam in a 223 bolt and away you go in a blackout config .

every country boy's dream ...

( g )

ken That would be a world of NO. This rifle was built on a serious time budget, and since it is mine, I didn't mind doing a few things that are a little “unorthodox"? The original 1909 Argentine bolt stop housing does not lend itself to use in this configuration, as it wraps around the reciever and is hard to get to, and must be notched just to make room for the rear scope mount. The original plan was to grind off the protrusion that came on it, and add a traditional tab so that it could be utilized easier. The piece of steel I selected for the job was much too long, but was going to be cut short. However, once I had it in place I thought how convenient it would be to slide my thumb under that wing to hold it open while the bolt was extracted. I figure if its more of a hindrance than a help, I can always cut it back as I originally intended so why not? LOL!  I am very happy with the form, fit and function of this rifle, and I designed it so that almost any barrel could be screwed in place and used as a single shot test bed for the upcoming XCB calibers. Good solid test bed. 

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 27 December 2014

That extended bolt release if a great addition. My Winchester 1917 Enfield release is a bear to open. Archimedes had it right!

Attached Files

Close