Which bullet mold for CZ 527 223 Rem 1-9 twist?

• Last Post 09 March 2021
buttstock posted this 10 January 2021

I picked up a used CZ 527 "Kevlar Varmint" in 223 Rem.  It has the  factory1-9 twist medium heavy barrel ( barely shot).  I am assembling components for it. I will primarily shoot jacketed bullets with it, but I am curious about shooting cast bullets with it too.

I understand the 1-9 twist will limit my velocity with it.  Yes I understand I can shoot a bit heavier bullet than a 45-55 grain bullet with it.  At some point I would be interested to shoot both gas check and plain base cast bullets with it to  punch holes in targets, but also to take squirrel or woodchuck hunting.  Overall, just to explore how it would do with cast bullets.

For those who have actually worked with a 1-9 twist 223 Rem with cast bullets, what mold,  size diameter, bullet weight has worked for you?   Accuracy results? Loads?

Thanks.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John Alexander posted this 10 January 2021

See my article in the Fouling Shot last year about shooting two relative new 22 bullets (Lee and NOE) in fast twist 223 with and without gas checks, for squirrel hunting.

John

Attached Files

imigraine posted this 06 March 2021

I'm interested as well.  Recently, I purchased a CZ 527 .223 Carbine 1:9 twist.  On Castboolits forum, Hick mentioned that he uses 5.8 grains of HP-38 with a Lyman 225646 which weights 58 grains and gas checked.  He claims this load goes slightly over 1,700 fps and can get less than 1 MOA with a peep sight with his CZ 527 (223 Rem).

Another poster, JonB in Glencoe, mentioned that in his AR15 with 1:9 twist, he likes using H4895 with 60gr boolits.

Just ordered a NOE 225-61-FN for my CZ 527.

From research, most lead casters of .223 Rem found that only gas checked boolits gave good performance and that plain base didn't offer any accuracy.    

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 09 March 2021

There is a lot of false information about cast bullets in the 22 bore, even more about the fast twists in 22.  Almost all of them are pure BS and just repeating what others have said.  They include that the 22 can't shoot plain based bullets well.  Gas checked cast bullets often shoot better than plain based (except for breech seated) in most calibers.  But, in my experience, 22s shoots plain based as well as other calibers.

A 1;9" twist 223 will shoot the usual short gas checked bullets (450-- 60 gr.) into 1.5 moa (average of a string of 5 shot groups) and, well designed, longer bullets up to .9" (NOE 22572 and NOE 22779) into 1.0 moa with the right rifle, fit, alloy, and shooter. See the reports of the last couple of CBA nationals in the Fouling Shot for loading details and group sizes.

John 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • DBW
Close