vetterli carcano 1870/87/15

• 1.2K Views
  • Last Post 19 August 2019
  • Topic Is Solved
shjoe posted this 10 July 2019

picked up a ww1 6.5 vetterli carcano the other day. reduced norma ammo by 25%. fired a few shots with a trigger string. no surprises. primers and cases looked good. I would like to load up my .266 143gr cast lead bullets but would like a powder suggestion for a lower pressure loading. i am not sure if "the load" would be safe enough for that old rifle. i shoot 15gr of 2400 with the same cast bullet in my M91 without issues. I have thought about trail boss, good case fill and lower pressure. comments? thanks!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 10 July 2019

A "half charge" of common, extruded tubular rifle powders appropriate for full-charge jacketed loads will be safe as a start load with cast bullets of weight similar to the service bullet, using 1-grain of Dacron polyester batting as loose fill tucked into the neck, using powders similar to RL7, IMR3031, IMR4895, RL15, Varget or IMR4064.

Hopefully Giorgio can chime in with what they are using in these rifles across the pond.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 10 July 2019

thanks for responding, ed. great information and a fine looking example that Giorgio is handling in the photo. I have on hand rl7, rl15, imr3031. I will work up a few incremental loads with all 3 powders and shoot for 50yd grouping. interesting old historical rifle. the "salerno method" rifle tube appears to be "normal" twist, not gain twist with a very good bore. I don't think I would try .268 jacketed bullets through this one. best. john

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 11 July 2019

What does the bore slug out at?

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 11 July 2019

hello rich. I haven't slugged the bore, unless firing 4 rds of 25% reduced factory ammo counts. I did however spend time scrubbing and cleaning it up with spl emphasis on the chamber. insertion and extraction of the rounds was without issue. I checked the muzzle with a .264 6.5 bullet and it didn't drop down to the case. stopped at the ogive. thank you, john

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 18 July 2019

I loaded up 20rds using 3031 and unique at different amounts for low pressure firing in my vetterli 70,87,15. if there are no pressure issues, I will target them using my scoped carcano "coyote" rifle and the vetterli. goal would be to reload one cartridge recipe that is accurate and can be safely used in both rifles. will post the results. john

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 21 July 2019

both 3031 and unique performed well enough with no high pressure signs evident on the cases (privy and norma) or primers. 50yd sub 3" groups from the vetterli were a welcome surprise. the scoped carcano m41 with 22" barrel shot 2" groups. will attempt to increase vetterli front sight height after I do the math, to bring poi and poa closer. john

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 26 July 2019

back to the range next week to shoot for best groups, calculate vetterli front sight height, and decide which powder/load to use for both rifles. whatever the vetterli handles and shoots best is prob what I will run with. too confusing to develop 2 different 6.5 loadings. then on to 480 ruger load development. possibly trail boss or unique with 370gr cast.

Attached Files

4060may posted this 27 July 2019

shjoe

I used shrink tubing on the front sight of my Vetterli, use the kind with glue inside, after shrinking squeeze with pliers to form  a flat front sight, trim to the height needed

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 27 July 2019

great idea, 4060may. it would present a better sight picture instead of using Kentucky hold over. or under in this case. no permanent alteration to the rifle either. nice! thank you!

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 19 August 2019

I was able to do some math and came up with a .134 piano wire addition to front sight height. at rear sight lowest position, it shoots <2" groups off of a rest, 3" high at 50yds. windage off to the left 1.5". close enough to get to a longer range and keep shots on the target paper. lyman 143gr gc with a light/mild load of 3031. no pressure signs, little recoil and a light report. beer can accurate.

Attached Files

Close