UNCLE GUY-THE MODEL 92 WIN .32 WCF-& THE MALE AFRICAN LION

• Last Post 15 April 2020
mashburn posted this 08 April 2020

Hello to all. 

There hasn't been much going on, on the forum, so I thought I would tell a true story, that I think you will enjoy.

First of all, there is my Uncle Guy , one of my dad's older brothers and my favorite uncle, while growing up. I never heard anyone speak ill of him or my Dad in my entire life. I never heard of him telling a lie. He didn't drink or smoke and I never heard a curse word. He was an avid hunter and also his only fault, that I know of is that, he was a poacher. Of course during the depression that was a way of putting food on the table, but Uncle Guy didn't stop when the depression ended. One thing about Uncle Guy and My Dad was, they might go out in the yard at night naked but you could bet they would be wearing their cowboy style hats. When Oklahoma opened deer season again after a long period of hardly any deer, part of the regulations were you had to wear red headgear and so many square inches of red on your upper body. Uncle guy refused to wear a cap so he went to the store and bought some red cloth and safety pins  and covered his hat with the red cloth and used the safety pins to attach it to the edge of the bream. 

Next is the Model 92 Winchester 32WCF rifle. My great Grandfather was a doctor during the civil war. He served first as a Confederate and when captured due to his oath he served with the union army the remainder of the war. When he mustered out he headed back west and stopped in Ladonia ,Texas in Fannin County. That was the last railway dropping of station west of the Mississippi . Through later research, I learned that at that time, there was a bar in that little town, that was over 3 city blocks long. All of his life he was a gad about so I'm sure the bar intrigued him.  .He had quite a bit of money and was afraid he was going to get robbed in the early 1900' s and bought the Winchester for protection. When he died he left the Winchester and an old Colt Thunder to his Grandsons for them to pass around and share. The Colt got into the hands of the wrong part of the family and disappeared .Uncle Guy kept the rifle most of the time along with my Dad. They wouldn't shoot jacketed bullets in it because they didn't want to wear out the barrel.

Now then, here comes the Lion. My uncle lived at the foot of  Bengual  Mountain on the west end of what is now the famous Skyline Drive road which runs from here to Mena, Ark. He ran cattle and hogs in the mountains from the back of his house to wherever they wanted to go. When he went to check on his stock he always went by foot and carried the Winchester . One day he was easing along the mountain up on about the third bench and a big male African lion rose up out of a downed pine tree top that was grown up in tall grass. He said it took a step or two towards him and stopped. He said he wasn't for sure what to do, but decided to shoot it. He said he was shaking so bad that he was having trouble holding the rifle right between the lions eyes. Fortunately he missed, and that was probably the first time he ever missed anything. He said the lion just stood there and he backed off and turned and went back the way he came and still shaking. A lot of people laughed at this story although I never did because I trusted my uncle. My oldest son who is the author likes to use local areas around here as settings for his novels. He was doing research here a few years ago and guess what he found. About that time a circus train about 18 miles over the mountain had wrecked and several animals escaped. They rounded all of the animals up except one and guess what it was. That's right a mature male African Lion. So I have no reason to doubt the story that I always believed.

After Uncle Guy got older he quit ranching and made a living by buying farms and ranches, doing a few improvements and selling at a profit. He visited us a lot, despite not living close anymore. One of the best performances in high school basketball that I ever performed was one night when Uncle Guy was there to watch me play. And was I pleased, to hear him brag on me all the way home and for the next couple of days. The last time I saw my Uncle guy was the year I was a Freshman in college and he came down for a visit. It was late winter and he and Dad and I planned to take a fishing and squirrel hunting camping trip down on the rock crusher hole in Jack Fork where they had fished and hunted as young men. We planned everything to a T and were all very excited. Uncle Guy went back home on Sunday afternoon and two weeks later we received a phone call saying he had passed away from a heart attack.

The rifle was eventually handed down to me and about 2 years I gave it to my author son, Brett Cogburn, and it is pictured in his book the real Rooster Cogburn. There was a lot of interesting things that I would like to have included, but I tried to make it as brief as possible.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 08 April 2020

...dandy story ... i am having a little trouble erasing the thought of two naked men dancing in the moonlight ... 

ken

Attached Files

Ken,

You must be a night owl like me to be up this time of night. What I meant about going outside naked at night was making the point on how attached they were to their hats. If my dad heard something after the chickens, or the stock raising heck out in the barn lot he would grab a gun and a light and runout in what ever he had on at the time, but he would always grab his hat and stick it on his head. He had bought a new suit and a new stockman style Stetson, that he put away, to be buried in and I made sure the hat was laying on his chest.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

pisco posted this 08 April 2020

good story

Attached Files

Shopdog posted this 08 April 2020

Mashburn,believe it or not...

I know exactly the area you're speaking of,coming from a now,fully entrenched Va mnt location. Have riden motorcycles through there on two different trips. It's not terribly different from here..... although,the only lions we have are of the mountain variety. I've never seen one,and the game dept. denys ANY existence but every year or two a hunter sees one.

I hear ya on the going outside to check things too. Sometimes you gotta get up and go,leaving fashion behind?

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 08 April 2020

Mashburn,

Quite a story. Your Uncle was a Real Character. 

I'm going to look up your Son's book. He obviously comes by story telling from His Father's side of the family. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Hello BigMan54,

Walmart sells his books but they are always sold out. They never order enough to meet the demand. You can go to Amazon and just type in Brett Cogburn and all of his books will come up. He has a bunch, and is under contract for more, on which he is working now, but The Real Rooster Cogburn was his first. He spent 15 years researching it. I think he is now the top selling Western novel author. There are other book suppliers for him but I can't remember them. Thanks for your response 

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 09 April 2020

AWESOME stories!  And a cool family!  I am a hat guy (much to my wife's chagrin!).  I get it with the hats!  I have both clear AND blaze orange "rubber duckies" for my western hats.  I HATE rain down the back of my neck, or a neck sunburn!  So I really like western hats.  Known to wear a very wide brim with blaze orange cover hunting.  Clear ones in the rain.  One time, business travel, in TX.  Took my Stetson silver belly Rancher.  We went to dinner, and was raining.  My two business colleagues kinda looked sideways at me with my silver belly on, but encased in the clear 'duckie.'  We were walking to dinner through downtown Austin.  Couple homeless guys were sitting under an overhang and imbibing from a paper sack.  One guy said "I KNOW thats a Stetson, because you have a rain cover on it."  I just grinned and said "Hell Yes!"  Business colleagues looked sideways at me again, but I think they got it!  lol!  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • DBW
mashburn posted this 09 April 2020

Hello pisco,

Thanks for your comment.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Hello Shopdog,

I'm glad you enjoyed the story and nice to know that you have traveled through this area. I don't know how long it's been since your last trip and if you possibly camped out, on the campsites up on top of skyline, or stayed in motels down in the valleys, but if I made a trip through there these days I wouldn't camp out up there unless I was well armed. Otherwise, it is a good place to wake up dead. The Forest Service has had their funds cut back for a long time now and can't afford security for all of the area. A lot of the recreation areas in the area have been completely shut down. My wife retired from the U.S Forest Service in 2009, and she saw a lot of changes in her tour and most were not for the good. Some of the hiking trails, on both the North and South sides of the mountain, I built a lot of them with crews of high school kids many years ago.

Come again please, and if you do look me up, I'm in the phone book.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Shopdog

Hello oscarflytyer,

Thanks for the comment and I'm glad you liked the story. I know Austin is a very liberal city, but you wouldn't have to driven far in any direction to have been in areas where there would be lots and lots of western hats. LONG LIVE HATS AND NORMAL PEOPLE.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • DBW
  • Bud Hyett
Bud Hyett posted this 09 April 2020

We are drifting off-topic. But the direction brings back a memory about cowboy boots. I was working in Master Layout for Douglas Aircraft in Long Beach, CA. It was break time, my friend had stopped to talk about shooting, We both had our feet up on an opened desk drawer. Both of us were wearing cowboy boots which were visible the way we were sitting.

The Tooling Department scheduler (mid-thirties woman) came by, stopped to look at our boots and said, "Every city boy wears cowboy boots these days for no good reason."

I replied, "I've sat a horse many a mile and seen the North end of more cows headed South than you would have if you watched every rerun of "Rawhide."

She said, "I was raised on a ranch in South Dakota and I've seen the North end of a lot of cows myself. But if you can say that, you can wear cowboy boots." 

We became good friends in the next few years. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glenn R. Latham
  • RicinYakima
JeffinNZ posted this 09 April 2020

Superb!

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Hello JfffinNZ,

Glad to hear that someone from down under enjoyed my story. I wish that I could have made it much longer because there was so much more to tell, but I didn't want to write a book on the forum.

Thanks for your comment of appreciation,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Qc Pistolero posted this 11 April 2020

Love that story;it brought back some found memories about me and my uncle(also named Guy but nicknamed Pet)who was more like a brother and passed away a couple years ago.Thanks for bringing me back then during all these wonderful gun toting in the fields and woods hours!

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 12 April 2020

I will be ordering some of the books.  rode a few horses and did some hunting in that area.  Wonder full country.

Jon 

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 12 April 2020

Hello Pistolero,

Thanks for your response and I'm glad you enjoyed the story. There are so many people, on the face of this earth that have never known of the pleasures, such as we speak.  My two sons, starting at the age of 12 and 7, during the summer when school was out,  would saddle their horses early in the morning, stick a sandwich in their saddle bags and a rifle in the rifle boot and head up Buffalo Mountain. They would get in before dark with lots of adventures to tell me and their Mom. People would ask, don't you worry about them? I would say, certainly but I had much rather them be riding the mountains than to be  sneaking off to town, after I left for work.

Thanks again for your appreciation

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 12 April 2020

Hello longhunter,

Thanks for your note of appreciation. Always glad to hear from people who have been in this part of the country. My son has several new books that will be coming out soon, also he signed another contract with Kensington Publishing Co last week for two new novels. Kensington is also republishing a series of his books that were originally in hardback and will be available in paper  back before long, which will make that series much less expensive. If you ever pass through here again, look me up I'm in the book and easy to find.

Thanks again for the note of appreciation,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

DBW posted this 14 April 2020

I enjoyed the story and living halfway between Mena and Ft. Smith have ridden my motorcycle there. Nice ride pretty country.

Am looking forward to checking out the books...........DBW 

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 15 April 2020

Hello DBW,

I'm glad you enjoyed the story and thanks for you reply.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Close