RCBS Green Machine 44-4 Conversion

• Last Post 26 July 2019
Bryan Austin posted this 21 July 2019

Here is my Youtube Channel for the RCBS Green Machine 44-40 Conversion.

Best not do anything until I am done, I may mess something up for I am experimenting as I go :-)

excuse the lack of correct parts terminology cause I am learning them as I go.

My goal is to make this full progressive but I have some hurdles to over come. 

1. Drilling and machining the Case Feed Assembly to accept the 44-40. I assume there is already one for the 44 Magnum but doubt I will ever fine one.

2. Replace or fabricate the case extension block. Some nutcase cut this one down for some unknown reason.

3. In order to use the powder measure I need to find the  44 Mag expander drop tube OR I can purchase an adapter that connects the powder measure to the Lee Through dies 

4. Obtain a powder measure "rotor" for my loads. (If using the GMPM)

5. Somehow put the handle on the left side because I am right handed and need my right hand to manipulate the die area and not the handle.

6. Have yet to think this far ahead ;-) 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Video Channel

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5bplooWWnaRaRXBja-37lz3Xt149HoeB

Narration Corrections

Excuse the incorrect terminology...I can't talk under pressure...lol!!!

Dies
RCBS "Cowboy" Depriming Die
Lee Powder Through Die w/auto disk (Would rather have the Lyman "M" Die)
RCBS "Cowboy" Bullet Seating Die (not using the roll crimp on the 43-214A bullet)

Redding 44-40 Profile Crimp Die 

Video #3

Video #4

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 21 July 2019

4. Obtain a powder measure "rotor" for my loads. (If using the GMPM)

I used a friends Green Machine about 34 years ago for a couple of days. From what I remember it used the "Little Dandy" powder rotors..... Good luck!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin

THANKS!!

Attached Files

Actually the rotor I have I just noticed is adjustable. No manufactured's name but is aluminum. The powder pocket is threaded and a countersunk hex-nutplug can be adjusted in or out to increase or decrease the charge. Just have to drill the attachment hole.....yeap, better order a back-up!!!

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 21 July 2019

I've heard of those, but haven't seen one. If you find a source, please post it.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin

I did get the powder measure working good but only with the 38 die....while I look for a 44 magnum die.

I did find some misc information that said Lyman made some of these adjustable rotors. I did get the holes drilled on the back and it works. Only problem I have is that I need at least 26gr of Reloder 7 and all I can get out of this is 24gr. I think I can grind out the bottom sides to get 26gr and still be able to use the set screw up higher for lighter load powders...not that I plan on it using much lighter loads but would like to be able to use Unique if I have to..

Attached Files

lotech posted this 22 July 2019

Good to see this thread. 

For years I heard largely negative comments about the RCBS Green Machine. Whether they were truly a sorry piece of equipment or the operators were unfamiliar with proper operation, I don't know. I don't believe I ever looked at a Green Machine up close. Good luck with your project. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin
RicinYakima posted this 22 July 2019

The engineer that developed it and I wrote back and forth over the internet for several years before his passing. His goal was to make an improvement of the C&H inline reloader for less money. They were all special order machines and would be set up for what ever components you wanted to use. However he said they were not made for the operators to "dink" with. He said it was common for them to go 100,000 cartridges with just light cleaning with brush and air hose. Adjustments had to be made in an order sequence, but few ever read the comprehensive owners manual.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
  • Bryan Austin
Bryan Austin posted this 22 July 2019

Just successfully ran 16 cases as a test run after modifying the case feeder assembly to accept the 44-40 cases. 44 Mag should work as well.

Attached Files

Bryan Austin posted this 23 July 2019

Howdy again,

While I am waiting on finishing up with a primer tube and a custom bullet seating guide, here is my results. Machine now feeds 44 Magnum, 44-40 and 45 Colt.

Attached Files

Bryan Austin posted this 23 July 2019

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 24 July 2019

It's a beautiful thing.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin
Bryan Austin posted this 26 July 2019

My finished project, modified for 44-40

Modifications (based off memory) to the press to enable use of the 44-40 cartridge cases.

1. Enlarge Case Feed Base Assembly case feed hole (86530)

Most people don't have a problem feeding the 44 Mag BUT [B]the 44-40 has a larger rim[/B] thus.....

Rather than modify each Transfer Pawl (86602) for larger 44-40 case rim,

2. Shaved off .043" from face of Case Extension Block (86610)

3. Enlarged Case Transfer Bar small pistol primer hole to large pistol primer hole.

4. Shifted primer hole to the right .043" during enlarging large pistol primers

5. Sanded beveled edge of Case Rails back to 90deg. (now have new old stock spare parts from)

6. Replaced Primer Transfer Bar Assembly (86758), small primer... with new large primer hole (unknown part number) (44 Mag)

7. Replaced Little Dandy powder hopper/dies with Lee powder through die and auto disk (temporarily until I can get a 44 Mag Green Machine Expander Drop Tube ( unknown part number) (located one, now to purchase it!!)

8. Enlarged 38/357 Mag Bullet Seater Guide (86705) to accept .428 bullets.

9. Installed a Redding primer tube.

Existing 44-40 dies used...RCBS "Cowboy" Decapper/resize, RCBS "Cowboy" roll crimp and a Lee Powder Through die with Auto Disk powder measure.

The final product for now: 

Total out of pocket cost.

Machine - $125

Bullet Seater Die/Modification $35

Redding Primer Tube $15

TOTAL - $175

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • JeffinNZ
Close