New to Casting

• Last Post 15 May 2020
  • Topic Is Solved
carver1tob posted this 10 May 2020

Hi everyone. Very new to casting bullets. I'm one of those people who has to try the DIY path on most things. This is another path I am looking into. I have found that each "path" has it's pro's and con's. To start me on this new path, I have joined CBA before even casting a single bullet. I did purchase the 3 volumes and the CD from CBA. I am on page 85 of the first book, so not to far into the reading. I have purchased hardcast bullets for my 44 mag, 357 mag and 38 special to experiment with and compare (non scientifically) with jacketed bullets. To date, I have found no difference between the two when it comes putting holes in paper. I should say no difference in accuracy, slight difference in price, the cast bullets being less expensive. I have watched a few "you tube" videos on the casting process, resizing and coating process. I have to admit, it has intrigued me and has peeked my curiosity. I had never realized that cast bullets could be used on rifles as well as hand guns. I always had believed it was only for revolver type handguns. That brings me to another subject, I have only been shooting revolvers for about 6 months. Before that it was semi auto handguns in the .380 and 9mm caliber and occasionally an old 22 cal Hi Standard.  I am happy to say, I enjoy the revolvers as much or more than the semi handguns. I found the revolvers to be a joy to shoot and using cast bullets has made it more cost efficient (always a good thing in my book). Why haven't I started to cast my own bullets yet? Lack of knowledge, I don't have the equipment at this time and finding the time to actually cast bullets. I also want to give myself time to read the 3 volumes on casting. I have never shot in any king of match, so that may be something in the future. Anything you would like to know about me, within reason, please ask.

Thanks.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Boschloper posted this 11 May 2020

Welcome to the Association!  Reading is a great way to start. The book by Joe Brennon is excellent. Another good read is "From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners" by Glenn Fryxell.  You can download a copy on the Las Angeles Silhouette Club website. The important thing is to get some equipment and start casting. 

Attached Files

Boschloper posted this 11 May 2020

Just realized you can get the Fryxell book right here, go to the CBA Info tab then downloads and scroll all the way to the bottom. 

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 11 May 2020

Welcome, and get your feet wet(so to speak). Lots of information here.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 11 May 2020

Welcome,

Ask any question who want. 

No matter how dumb You might think it is. 

I've already asked it myself.

And You will find the right answer here. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 11 May 2020

Hello Carver

You do not say where you are. Getting all the knowledge as you are will be a great plus. Being able to visit an experienced caster is an experience beyond all words. I personally have been involved in workshops, seminars and one on one teaching. There is no substitute for hands on with direction and supervision. Although the best, still questions arise. If possible, locate a mentor locally. I guarantee, you will progress much more rapidly and probably make a friend. My location is North East central Florida and would welcome you to come see how a Florida state champion does it. You are headed down a rabbit hole we all are still finding to be challenging. One of us, One of us, One of us.

Roy 

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 11 May 2020

Don't forget to check the forums archives by using the search feature. You will find answers to many of your cast bullet  questions there. 

R. 

Attached Files

carver1tob posted this 11 May 2020

Thank you for your advice. I am in the Highland, Illinois area. I would be more than happy to spend a little time with someone in the area to experience the casting first hand. I’ve been looking for equipment, just haven’t finished my research enough to decide what brand, size or quality will best fit with my expectations. Thanks again.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 11 May 2020

Welcome.  Don't fall down the 'harder is better' rabbit hole either.  Soft alloys shoot remarkably well under the correct circumstances.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

carver1tob posted this 11 May 2020

Hi JeffinNZ. What do you consider “ soft alloys”?

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 12 May 2020

Hi Carver,

Sorry you are so far from Georgia. I hope Highland is far from Chicago.

As one who was long enamored with the fine casting and lovely bullets I got from linotype, I can tell you for most uses it is way too hard.

Those commercial cast bullets you buy are probably also too hard. They are probably BHN 18 -20. They may shoot OK in target loads but better accuracy is usually found with much softer alloys.  BHN 10 is about right for most non-magnum revolver loads.

I had the advantage in high school of a local Scout Leader who was a bullet caster.  I hope we have a member close who can mentor you.

Look out, your work room may end up like mine.

Steve 

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 12 May 2020

You are fairly close to one of the most active and successful CBA match locations.  Windhill range is in Aledo, IL and has a group of experienced and friendly shooters.  Stan Livingston is the match director his contact information is inside the front cover of each Fouling Shot.

John

Attached Files

carver1tob posted this 12 May 2020

Thanks to everyone for the information. I am working on getting the equipment and supplies. I am looking forward to casting and actually shooting a bullet that I cast.

Attached Files

hanover67 posted this 15 May 2020

I started casting about 10 years ago and I have really enjoyed it. It is a great way to get away from the cares of the world, and it is a great learning experience. I learn something new every time I'm sitting at my pot casting bullets. The CBA is a great organization. You can get an informed answer to any question you might have, any problem you run across. Keep us posted on your progress and those first shots down the range.

Attached Files

carver1tob posted this 15 May 2020

Thanks to everyone for your information and good wishes. I just ordered the Lee Pro 4-20 and a Lyman digital thermometer. Picked up a used Lee .356 mold the other day. Had to do some minor adjustments and cleaning, but I think it will work just fine. I found I had some lead to at least give it a try. I was at our indoor range the other day and the owner had shot cast bullets In the past. He liked them, didn’t have a bad thing to say about them. Uses them in his 45-70. He does sell his range lead for .60 per pound. I know it will have a lot of scrap, but it is a form of recycling, so I may try 20 lbs to see what kind of quality it is. It was difficult to find a store that had a melting pot in stock. Most of the manufacturers are out of stock, at least that is what is listed on their web store. Anyway, I will have everything I need to give it a try in about 10 days or so. It may be a few weeks before I do get to shoot my cast bullets. Looking forward to it.

Attached Files

Close